Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Westworld

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Westworld

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-18-2016 08:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
You were the one missing the point shithead.

So much so that you had it explained twice, once with crayon.

Even Geoff says red font guy is incoherent and drones on...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-18-2016 08:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What kind of emotional connection did you have with the characters in GoT after the 1st 3 eps ?, cos I couldn't give a shit if Red Wedding happened in episode 3.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-18-2016 08:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:
You were the one missing the point shithead.

So much so that you had it explained twice, once with crayon.

Geoff also has red seats in his car, coincidence ?

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 10-19-2016 01:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
I thought this was the point. It's showing us the complexities of what is considered 'intelligence' or consciousness and what we perceive it as, just because something can't die or isn't self aware doesn't mean it can't feel pain, because it's man made doesn't necessarily mean they ain't conscious. I am expecting more and more character / plot development as the confines of the creators start falling. The more the show dwells on these aspects the more it unravels

Sure, i get that's an interesting philosophical question (although a well known one, done before many times in film, books and series), but it's not quite what i meant by complaining about the lack of emotional connection the viewer has because of it. Look, so far this story takes place in a world where there's apparently a total absence of consequences to dramatic actions. And that's a big problem - i the viewer am consequently not emotionally invested as a result. Because nothing matters at the end of the day, right? Players can't get hurt by NPC's or other players, robots reset, and we haven't yet seen any real evidence that they're concious life forms or whatever, just suggestions. I also expect this to change as we learn more, but it's a valid criticism for the first few eps i feel - and one that's going to be quite hard to get out of for the writers. Cuz it's just damn hard developing feelings for robots - and at this point basically every character we've seen can very possibly turn out to secretly be a robot.

Also, yeah, i was totally emotionally invested in at least a few characters after the first episode of GoT. By the end of ep 3 season 1 they had me hooked. Bad show to take as an example to compare Westworld to... GoT actually excelled at this.

Anyway, it's just something i notice that's troubling me when i watch, and i've only seen two eps so far. It's a pretty great show otherwise i feel :up:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-19-2016 05:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
What kind of emotional connection did you have with the characters in GoT after the 1st 3 eps ?, cos I couldn't give a shit if Red Wedding happened in episode 3.

Actually, I do know when Bran was pushed out the window in episode 1, I said "Holy shit!" Bran is an actual human character, and when you see him potentially fall to his dead, it makes an impression. I can't say the same for the hosts of Westworld...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-19-2016 05:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
xer0s wrote:

Geoff also has red seats in his car, coincidence ?

Hmm, good point...

plained
plained
PostPosted: 10-19-2016 07:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

come on youre just pretending to get it righT?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-20-2016 04:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, where is your line between a sentient artificial being and a biological creature? Imo, this is what this show boils down to.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 10-27-2016 02:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hope this doesn't go the same way as Lost.

Last edited by phantasmagoria on 10-27-2016 08:02 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 10-27-2016 06:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's kind of boring

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 10-28-2016 12:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes. Was hoping it would pick up, but it doesn't seem to.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-01-2016 05:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The music (not the opening theme) is one of my favorite parts of the show. It's very Mass Effectish...

plained
plained
PostPosted: 11-01-2016 06:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i previewed a bit of the first epi

seems pretty good

i love western type stuff so i am biased

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-01-2016 06:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
it's kind of boring

Jews don't understand westerns... :olo: ...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-01-2016 07:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
The music (not the opening theme) is one of my favorite parts of the show. It's very Mass Effectish...

The songs redone on the old timey piano are awesome..iirc it was black hole sun in the first ep.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-01-2016 07:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I think they've released a few of the piano songs on iTunes, but I couldn't find the futuristic music that reminded me of Mass Effect...

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 11-07-2016 12:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
it's kind of boring

the two episodes since i posted that have been really good.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-07-2016 01:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Moron^^^...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-08-2016 08:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice Yul Brynner Easter egg in that last episode...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-12-2016 09:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm liking it...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-12-2016 09:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
the two episodes since i posted that have been really good.

:up: Nice to hear as I have yet to see any.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-12-2016 09:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Still think it's terrific.
Maybe
giving her all she deemed
was a bit much.
All in all I think we have 3.5 interesting story arcs.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-13-2016 08:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I love u Bernard...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-13-2016 08:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-15-2016 04:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This show seemed all over the place for the first 3-4 episodes but it's really coming together now. A++

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-26-2016 08:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm rooting for the bad guy, I love it when they make a good bad guy :D

Not a big fan of the Maeve story arc, but I guess that's just plot filler.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-27-2016 07:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol Bernard got owned...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-27-2016 10:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bernard :(

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-28-2016 05:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He'll be back. Ford just wants to make a newer model...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-28-2016 06:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
xer0s wrote:

The songs redone on the old timey piano are awesome..iirc it was black hole sun in the first ep.

Funny thing, I was watching this when they introduced those two characters, one of which really looks like the singer from Radiohead. So I got to wondering if he was in fact, the singer from Radiohead and just as I'm pondering this, bam, radiohead on the piano. Turns out I was wrong though.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-28-2016 07:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Read a theory last night that there are multiple timelines going on with Deloris and that William is actually the Man in Black when he was young.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-28-2016 07:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not a bad theory.

Makes sense too. Cause I was wondering how Logan had that picture of Williams wife (the same picture Dolores's dad saw)...

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-28-2016 09:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

found it. was on vox.com

Quote:
In this theory, there are four timelines: Dolores’s life before the massacre (which we see mostly in flashbacks to her conversations with Arnold); her time with William (who is almost certainly the young Man in Black); the long torpor of her existence post-William (which seems a kind of punishment visited upon her by Ford); and the Man in Black and Teddy’s journey to find Wyatt, whom I believe to also be Dolores.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-28-2016 09:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There was also that woman who knifed teddy in ep9 who was there when william arrived at the park in his room. I remember a few episodes back when she showed up and the man in black made a comment about it which stood out at the time.

it's a pretty solid theory imo.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 11-28-2016 09:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol of course Billy is the man in black...I thought this was obvious.... MORON ALERT!!!...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.