Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The first baby steps of the robopocalypse

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: The first baby steps of the robopocalypse

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-01-2017 12:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/01/kor ... rst-steps/

Quote:
Its designer, Hollywood SFX veteran Vitaly Bulgarov, has posted a video on Facebook showing the robot taking its first steps. And, yes, it had a pilot on board. The 13-feet-tall, 1.3-ton machine was created to work in extreme conditions where humans cannot go unprotected.

Before long these things will be weaponized and pilotless. :alert:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-01-2017 12:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not sure how it's a robot, with someone inside it controlling it

by that reasoning, a car is a robot :|

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-01-2017 12:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quite scary all the same.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 01-01-2017 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seen it yesterday, first thought, robot from avatar

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-01-2017 12:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
not sure how it's a robot, with someone inside it controlling it

by that reasoning, a car is a robot :|

It's a machine that resembles a human and can carry out human-like movements. It uses a computer to translate human input into action. That makes it a robot.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-01-2017 02:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pretty sure a degree of autonomy is a necessary condition for being a robot, regardless of what it looks like or how it moves

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-01-2017 03:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's the first two letters of the Czech word robota, coined by Karel Capek for his play Rossum's Universal Robots, and from which the English word is derived

in its original sense it implied a machine that looked human, but not in the modern sense, where it can mean any mechanical automaton (i.e. the robots that build cars)

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-01-2017 05:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
pretty sure a degree of autonomy is a necessary condition for being a robot, regardless of what it looks like or how it moves

Nope.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 01-01-2017 07:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

everyone's a robot when you're a zombie - Rheostatics

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-01-2017 08:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
seen it yesterday, first thought, robot from avatar

I was thinking exosuit - Ripley - Aliens

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-01-2017 08:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
seremtan wrote:

Nope.

Pretty sure it atleast requires to process actions without input

or, a degree of autonomy

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-01-2017 09:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wrong again, Bob. Autonomous robots and robots are two different things. Something can be a robot and not be autonomous. Robots can require input in order to operate. Perhaps this word has slightly different meanings in different countries, but I'm going by conventional wisdom (and Wikipedia, and Merriam-Webster...).

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 02:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
lol @ ur googling.

nope

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 06:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Wrong again, Bob. Autonomous robots and robots are two different things. Something can be a robot and not be autonomous. Robots can require input in order to operate. Perhaps this word has slightly different meanings in different countries, but I'm going by conventional wisdom (and Wikipedia, and Merriam-Webster...).

Quote:
A robot is a machine—especially one programmable by a computer—capable of carrying out a complex series of actions automatically...Robots can be autonomous or semi-autonomous...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot

Quote:
: a device that automatically performs complicated often repetitive tasks

: a mechanism guided by automatic controls

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/robot

When I say without input, I mean it must be able to perform tasks without it. All computers will require some programmable input.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 07:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Give yourself programmable controls and you're a robot

Give yourself a computer brain and you're an android

Stick you're dick in it and you're robosexual

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 07:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What i learned from this thread is that i can invent a mechanized unit to row a boat and call it a rowbot :up:

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 07:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 10:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Quote:
A robot is a machine—especially one programmable by a computer—capable of carrying out a complex series of actions automatically...Robots can be autonomous or semi-autonomous...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot

Nice selective quoting there, what with ignoring the bits which make my point.

Quote:
Robots can be guided by an external control device or the control may be embedded within.

Also "can be autonomous" is not the same as "are autonomous". The M-W link's first definition doesn't say anything about autonomy, either.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 11:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A control device can be programmable, semi-autonomous machines or RC cars require control devices, even your TV for user input, pretty much everything electronic really. Even completely autonomous machines require a control device for output to tell the wheels or whatever to move, doesn't mean it's user controlled. Nowhere in that article does it say that a robot can be non autonomous, I believe. It requires some degree of autonomy - actions that are undertaken automatically.

Otherwise it would say remote controlled or... user controlled, or someshit.

Wasn't selective quoting but thought it was evident.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 11:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tansient moving on. :alert:

:olo:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 12:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
What i learned from this thread is that i can invent a mechanized unit to row a boat and call it a rowbot :up:

what i learned from this thread is that i can invent a mechanical unit to manufacture taramasalata and call it a roebot :up:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 12:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Memphis wrote:
lol @ ur googling.

nope

Found the one guy who uses Bing!!! :olo:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 12:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Or you can combine the bitter regret that is seremtan's life and the rear-end of a 69 pinto to get a ruebot. :olo:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 01:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
A control device can be programmable, semi-autonomous machines or RC cars require control devices, even your TV for user input, pretty much everything electronic really. Even completely autonomous machines require a control device for output to tell the wheels or whatever to move, doesn't mean it's user controlled. Nowhere in that article does it say that a robot can be non autonomous, I believe. It requires some degree of autonomy - actions that are undertaken automatically.

Again, autonomous robots are a subset of robots . The term "robot" does not necessitate autonomy. In this case, what makes the mech a robot is its humanoid appearance and movement. The fact that it requires a human "driver" does not exclude it from being a robot.

YourGrandpa wrote:
Tansient moving on. :alert:

:olo:

Has my signature gotten under your skin?

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 01:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^ Irony on several levels. :olo:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 01:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not the one who made the claim in the first place, you imbecile. And the fact that you can't let it go and keep posting is the true irony, which you don't seem to be able to grasp. It's rather sad.

Chunk and I are having a discussion about the nuances of the word "robot", it has nothing to do with voicing an opinion. Keep trying.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 01:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe the next time I get upset and put someone quote in my sig, I'll also ask them if I'm under their skin.

What a dummy. :olo:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 01:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Upset? I put it in my sig because it was fucking hilarious. And it continues to be a source of amusement, too! :olo:

So now that you've voiced your opinion on the matter, are you going to move on? :olo:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 01:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe we can mix Transient's inability to move on in this discussion with some clarified butter and flour to make a rouxbot. :olo:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 01:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I trolled YGP with my sig by accident. :olo:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 01:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You gonna be okay? You seem to be upset. :olo:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 02:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Give it a try. You might not get so easily upset. :olo:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 02:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thats not a robot.. its an exoskeleton with onboard interface...

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-02-2017 08:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:

Again, autonomous robots are a subset of robots . The term "robot" does not necessitate autonomy.

I used the source you used to show how a robot requires autonomy then you quoted the same source to prove otherwise, only your interpretation of it was wrong and now you're going back to repeating what you initially said without providing anything else ?

Transient wrote:
In this case, what makes the mech a robot is its humanoid appearance and movement. The fact that it requires a human "driver" does not exclude it from being a robot.

This wasn't really the point we were arguing. We were arguing specifically about wether a robot requires autonomy, it's a bit of a side step, but I guess it's related and the definition is a bit wooly so I had to go the learners dictionary for Merriam-Webster to hopefully expand upon it -

Quote:
a real or imaginary machine that is controlled by a computer and is often made to look like a human or animal

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/robot

Oxford dictionary says the same, which is the daddy

Quote:
A machine capable of carrying out a complex series of actions automatically, especially one programmable by a computer

1.1 (especially in science fiction) a machine resembling a human being and able to replicate certain human movements and functions automatically:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/robot

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.