Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Are you into cooking?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Are you into cooking?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-05-2017 09:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll just try that one. No idea if there already is one. If so, sorry.

So, yeah, do you cook?
Sometimes, all the times, on occasions, whatever. I'll let BBQs count.

Tell us about your doings or wrong doings from your perspective.

This is not about how to defrost beans nor about fast-food-chains.
It's about stuff you did yourself and how well that turned out or not and what you learned from that experience.

Share, thanks!

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-05-2017 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I use to cook. Then I got married...

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 01-05-2017 09:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i made honey lime chicken breasts with cumin and brown rice last night

yummy

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-05-2017 10:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll start with the groundbreaking chicken-soup.
I don't cook very often.

I'ts that time of the year again. It's fucking cold outside and you are short to becoming ill and suddenly your instincts tell you to have that fatty, greasy soup that you did'nt think about for the last 9 months.

Set your hotplate to 8/12.

Start with cooking onions till they are glassy, meanwhile add some sugar. That caramalized taste will boil into your final plate. Very good addition.

Add garlic, porree, celeriac, etc. Add the hard stuff at this stage.

You'll need to add white wine to cool down the batch. Cook that for a while, it will loose the alcohol and add acid. Let it boil for a while. Add some water to keep the mass from becoming lumpy or stiff. Once it has, you can throw it away.

Insert herbs at this stage. Listen to Mama, she knows.

Lower your setting to 3-4/12

Now, the chicken itself:
What I usually get is of mediocre quality, I guess. It is usable but you have to tune it. I cut away some of the skin with scissors and on other parts I still have to do some hair-removal. I did buy one whole chicken in a "Bio" supermarket once and that really was the best we ever had. But it was 4 times the normal price, so...

Cut away excess skin. You can add that to the soup by seperating it with a small grill-ball (like for tea) but you don't want it in the final product. There's a good amount of fat in those parts, so do use them.

Cook that on lower heat till the chicken is done. Get the chicken out and pull off the meat, add that back to the soup, voila.

Last edited by Ferrao10 on 01-05-2017 07:44 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-05-2017 11:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I love cooking

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-05-2017 11:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like watching people cook.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-05-2017 11:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry bro, no date

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-05-2017 11:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
I use to cook. Then I got married...

This guy wants nothing more than for us to believe he's married :olo:

Such a try-hard blow-hard...

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-05-2017 11:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Sorry bro, no date

Slow down there, no homo.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 01-05-2017 12:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yup i cook higher quality/more consistent than alot of so-called pro chefs and cooks

also i do it faster and with less mess than most.

dont take it as a brag, it isnt, i am proud of these skills

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 01-05-2017 12:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Like to cook but i'm not as much of a natural as my girl is, she's great in the kitchen. Tend to gravitate to the simpler dishes that i've done a couple of times with her, really. But i do love to help her :)

Chicken soup sounds great Ferrao :up: We made a very similar one a few times, with the exception that we use the leftovers from a whole chicken we roasted and ate the night before (usually with friends, those bio chickens are fucking enormous), just the bones and shit. Just let all that goodness stew for a good while in a concoction very much like you described and voila, all the meat will fall of the bones and chicken soup will be the result.

Fuck now i'm hungry.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-05-2017 12:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
I love cooking

Me too :)
I'll type up my risotto recipe later. Just that I added lemon zest and a little juice for the first time last night (7am here atm) and it was so yummy. It was my salmon variant this time 'round as I usually do a pumpkin risotto. I like to experiment and I don't mind being the guinea pig with my own cooking. I proviso is that I taste as I cook.

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 01-05-2017 02:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any real man should know his way around a kitchen. We buy a lot of whole foods and I cook delicious things with them, mainly some of my favourite Persian, Finnish and Italian dishes.

This is lohikeitto, a very tasty salmon soup and a staple of Finnish cuisine. Goes great with Finnish rye bread and cheese. I'll post some of my recipes later.

xer0s wrote:
This guy wants nothing more than for us to believe he's married :olo:

Such a try-hard blow-hard...

Gwamps' idea of cooking is tearing open a box of KD with his grubby macaroni fingers.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-05-2017 03:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I enjoy cooking. It's great for releasing stressing.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-05-2017 04:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My Salmon Risotto recipe :D

Chef Notes:
• Fresh is best of course but sometimes easier ingredients are to hand
• Quantities and cooking times vary according to taste

Code:

Ingredients
1.    Salmon – supermarket pre-packaged pieces for cooking or prepare fresh salmon and dice into small pieces well beforehand
2.    1 onion finely diced (Any colour. I tried red this time around)
3.    2 tablespoons of olive oil
4.    Garlic to taste (crushed clove or jar)
5.    1 cup Arborio rice
6.    About a 1 litre of vegetable stock
7.    White wine – about half a wine glass or more as desired
8.    Parmesan cheese, freshly grated is desirable but pre-packaged will do fine
9.    Spring onions (shallots/scallions) cut into small pieces, some decorative – for mixture and garnish
10.   1 - 2 teaspoons of butter – a personal choice - I add about halfway through the rice cooking process
11.   Lemon,  zest 1 – 2 teaspoons and 1 – 2 tablespoons of juice
12.   Baby peas, fresh or frozen - it doesn’t' seem to matter and I have tried both
13.   Salt - I don't but add pepper to taste at the table
14.   Optional as I still experiment here - a tablespoon or two of any cream

Process
Step 1
Heat stock in saucepan, set aside and keep warm

Step 2
In a large saucepan add olive oil , over a medium heat sauté onion until soft and near golden, then add garlic, sauté for another 30 seconds and enjoy the fragrance. Add the rice and stir until the rice grains are covered and appear to be changing colour

Step 3
Lower the heat and add a ladle of the warmed stock to the rice and stir – I use a flat wooden spatula. Now continue adding the stock and stirring for about 15 minutes while setting the table and enjoying a glass of a favourite white wine. I use the cheap stuff for cooking but after a glass or two it doesn’t seem to matter. Save to good stuff for the table.
Watch the rice doesn’t get too dry and add warmed stock as needed

Step4
About halfway through this rice cooking process (7 – 10 minutes) add the butter and continue adding the remainder of the stock to rice just a little at a time while stirring over low medium heat and until stock is absorbed. The rice will become tender and creamy

Step 5
Add peas, lemon juice and zest and continue stirring the mix for about a minute. Stock should be finished soon if not by now so if you need, simply add a little water to the mix to maintain the creamy texture

Step 6
Add and half of the spring onions and now add the salmon pieces and stir gently through for another minute until reaching serving temperature

Step 7
Add cream as desired and stir through slowly

Step 8
Fold through a little Parmesan cheese as desired. I usually only add while garnishing with the remainder with the spring onion

Finally
Serve immediately in pasta bowls, topped with Parmesan cheese and garnished with spring onion.

Offer with warmed plain or garlic bread as this compliments the meal nicely and don’t forget that favourite wine. 

Enjoy :up:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-06-2017 06:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Finnish cuisine.

I am intrigued.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 01-06-2017 07:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like cooking but not the cleaning up after. I should really buy a new dishwasher or fix mine >:(

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-06-2017 09:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:
I like cooking but not the cleaning up after. I should really buy a new dishwasher or fix mine >:(

DITO! :up: :)

I need a new oven too, cooking with just 2 hotplates is not that much fun...
Cooking is great fun, i love to make beef-stuff like beef-roulades, goulasch, Sauerbraten & Schweinebraten <3
But idont like fish and seafood in general. Lasagna is nice too, make Lasagna great again!

plained
plained
PostPosted: 01-06-2017 10:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i make sauces and broths from whole ingredients!

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-06-2017 11:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Stop reaching

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 01-06-2017 11:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:

Since I don't cook, I'm an expert at clean up. But that's the deal we have...

plained
plained
PostPosted: 01-06-2017 11:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Stop reaching

ah i see u cant cook ey

probly far beyond your skillset so better to stick to what youre good at.

using your dickburgers to be an asshole :olo:

plz follow me around and make stoopid commentz

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-06-2017 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:up:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-07-2017 02:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just finished a 10-day marinated Sauerbraten.
He´s gotta chill now over the night, after slowly cooking for 4 hours. :)
Pics tomorrow!

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 01-08-2017 05:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't enjoy cooking unless it's my favourite comfort food or a dessert. I made this Mac n Cheese tonight though and it's awesome if I say so myself. Moist, creamy, very cheesy and a tasty crust! :D

Standard roux with 500ml of semi skimmed milk, 20g butter, 20g flour, 250g cheddar, a large pinch of black pepper, salt, and a couple of teaspoons of powdered Coleman's mustard that I mixed up with water beforehand. Added two diced up tomatoes. Poured 350g of boiled macaroni into it. Poured into a buttered dish, put a ton more cheese on top, a load of breadcrumbs, (overdid the breadcrumbs tbh :| ) and baked for about 30 minutes on about 200c. I'm led to understand that the mustard brings out the cheese flavour more.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-08-2017 11:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Awesome DRuM :up:
You da man or is that chef?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-09-2017 06:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone said "cooking"?

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 01-09-2017 09:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Awesome DRuM :up:
You da man or is that chef?

Thanks Whiskey. :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-09-2017 09:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@DRuM That looks supernice again! Im not a fan of tomatos, so i will try to replace them with small drips of Heinz ketchup. :)
Will give it a try this week.
BTW.. can anyone support me with a load of twinkies?
I dont want to spent 10E for one pack of them in onlineshops... :miffed:
I got paypal and shipping would be to germany.
That would be soo nice!
Whats the regular price for a 10-pack?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-09-2017 09:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
For all you kitchen wenches:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GifRecipes/

That look soo good too, but rice and cum?
Better go for some garlic-bred and pure chilli!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-09-2017 04:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
looks somewhat like a huge waster of 'erb tho, tbh :|

Thats like cooking small puppies. :eek:
But for sure he sold that weed for a good price! :olo: :olo:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-09-2017 05:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AndyW wrote:
@DRuM That looks supernice again! Im not a fan of tomatos, so i will try to replace them with small drips of Heinz ketchup. :)
Will give it a try this week.
BTW.. can anyone support me with a load of twinkies?
I dont want to spent 10E for one pack of them in onlineshops... :miffed:
I got paypal and shipping would be to germany.
That would be soo nice!
Whats the regular price for a 10-pack?

Twinkies? Never heard of them :confused: Maybe a mention in a movie but not sure.....Googles...
Ah, I see and I hope never seen them. I hope someone else can lend a hand AndyW.

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 01-10-2017 01:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
looks somewhat like a huge waster of 'erb tho, tbh :|

Christ, 34 grams :eek:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-10-2017 11:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can't recognize visually the difference between 34 and 3.4 grams as a dutch citizen?
Hmm, makes me think....

3.4 still seems to be the absolute overkill for that portion of a drink.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-10-2017 02:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:up: owned!
I didnt want to answer, maybe hes an undercover-cop... :olo:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.