Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Are you into cooking?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Are you into cooking?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-14-2017 08:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:
Ham muffins? What kind of amazing wizardry is this? :o

What, you've never tried savoury muffins?

A variant; I could have put some small pieces of cooked bacon bits in, in place of the ham so I will do that next time.

I've been reading up on the problem, muffins sticking to the paper cups and there's two trains of thought offered....
1. A little too long in the oven - the suggestion is to remove them a little earlier and
2. The obvious one I suppose, is to spray some oil over the empty cups before filling or run some butter around..

Just can't work out why my little pattie cakes don't stick but these (my first effort) did :smirk:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-04-2017 06:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:
Every bit of advice I read when looking into knives is don't buy a knife block, you won't use half of them :). You only really need two knives, a small pairing style knife and a chefs' knife. Storing knives in a block isn't very good for them from what I read, you can pick-up a magnetic knife rack off eBay/Amazon for about £7 - I've one of these, it's cheap but it does the job.

I own and like Japanese knives as they have a thinner and sharper edge than western knives but they're often not that cheap. From when I was researching into them Victorinox (the people who make Swiss army knives) are very good value for the price and better than Wüsthof which is about double the price. You could pick-up these for £57 all in:

Victorinox Cooks Knife - 8.5" blade
Victorinox - Paring Knife 10cm
Victorinox - Bread Knife 21cm Serrated Edge

If you've already got a bread knife I'd probably not bother - I use a cheap one and it cuts bread fine!

Probably the most important thing is keeping the edge.. never leave them stood in water, never put them in the dishwasher, never use them to hack up frozen food etc - use a cheap old knife for that. Learn how to sharpen them; it's really easy and makes a world of difference. You want both a whetstone (which does the actual sharpening) and a honing rod (to straighten the fibres of the edge, they don't "sharpen" it). You only have to use the whetstone every few months and maybe the honing rod every week. I have a 1000/3000 grade whetstone (not this exact one). From what I read in most cases that's all you need and generally you'll only probably need to use the 3000 grade unless you've really dulled your knife. For a honing steel get ceramic (or diamond, but ceramic is better, apparently). E.g., something like this Wusthof one.

Sorted. :).

Homework on whetstones. FYI the Victorinox is a 15' sharpening angle:

Ordered some shit bro - nice one

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 06-04-2017 06:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
What, you've never tried savoury muffins?

A variant; I could have put some small pieces of cooked bacon bits in, in place of the ham so I will do that next time.

I've been reading up on the problem, muffins sticking to the paper cups and there's two trains of thought offered....
1. A little too long in the oven - the suggestion is to remove them a little earlier and
2. The obvious one I suppose, is to spray some oil over the empty cups before filling or run some butter around..

Just can't work out why my little pattie cakes don't stick but these (my first effort) did :smirk:

I don't think so - I guess it's just another variant of bacon and eggs, in muffin form. I'll have to try it :)

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 06-04-2017 06:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Ordered some shit bro - nice one

Awesome, what did you go for in the end?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-04-2017 06:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Two that you recommended and an extra :up:

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 06-04-2017 06:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice, let us know how you get on with it :).

Watch this so you know how to not chop your fingers off by using the claw grip :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 06-04-2017 12:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:
Watch this so you know how to not chop your fingers off by using the claw grip :)

Still working on this... recently had a couple of my knives sharpened and holy fuck are they scary now. :dts:

I guess the claw grip just takes a bit of practice. I understand the idea I just can't keep the my hand in the right shape as I move down the veggies that I'm cutting. Particularly shitty at doing stuff like green onions or whatever... it just falls apart unless I do it the hack way and go super slow so I don't mix in fingertips with dinner :olo:

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 06-04-2017 01:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heh, I've a scar on the first knuckle of my first finger where I got a bit too complacent whilst using the claw grip and ended up bringing the knife down and straight into my knuckle by mistake rather than bringing it straight down and into the vegetables or whatever it was :o.

When I'm cutting spring onions / celery type stuff I find it a bit of a pain too - I tend to keep the knife rocking/chopping on the same spot on the chopping board, and use my claw gripped hand to hold the stuff I'm cutting at the end and push it at a constant rate toward the knife, if that makes sense.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 06-04-2017 01:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i got a lil nic on my left index, but i was using a hatchet like a man

get a nice balanced knife and let the weight of it do the cutting

if it don't have weight it's not a chefs knife

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 06-04-2017 01:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a nice balanced knife, but I balanced it right into my finger :D

Masakage Yuki 240mm/9.4" - 165g/0.36lbs <3

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 06-04-2017 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice

but post the finger pic too :p

onions/celery are the easiest todo bro

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 06-04-2017 02:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

celery - split in half lay flat and do a sawing motion without lifting the knife off board but raised enough to clear celery

onion - split, remove slippery film if any <-important to keeping fingers ;) lay flat and do a 3 finger claw grip, pinky for side support

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 06-04-2017 02:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with the motion/chopping bit but I struggle with smoothly sliding my hand backwards whilst keeping the knife blade against my knuckles. I think I just need to put a towel under the chopping board or something :).

How'd you know I took photos? :p This was over a year ago, so I think I survived it.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 06-04-2017 02:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tasted blood

skip to 1:10

that's the motion you want

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 06-05-2017 12:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's what I do to be fair, good to know I am using the right technique :)

I chop things fairly fast, I guess my left hand isn't working at the same pace as my chopping hand is!

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-13-2017 12:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I bought the Victorinox Santoku knife too, and it's a beaut :D

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 06-13-2017 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice :)

How are you finding using sharp knives over cheap nasty ones?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-14-2017 03:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a joy to cut stuff and it actually saves me a surprising amount of time if I'm doing a big meal :D

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 06-14-2017 11:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:D - there's nothing worse than trying to cut a tomato or something only to end up squashing it as the knife won't go through it and it takes you twice as long

plained
plained
PostPosted: 06-14-2017 12:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

these japan shears are great! tough good and cheap

http://www.zwillingonline.com/41365001.html

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 06-14-2017 11:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
tasted blood

skip to 1:10

[youtube]

that's the motion you want

Tonight I applied some of these cuts for my stir fry soy honey chicken with noodles :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-12-2017 11:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah, found it.

I thought to share a wonderful recipe for a mint dipping sauce I sought for my Tandoori Chicken dish.

Oh, here's the recipe for the Tandoori dish *** Start preparing today for tomorrow :)

Code:
Ingredients
•   4 cloves of garlic
•   1or 2 fresh red chillies
•   7 small piece of ginger
•   ½ a lemon
•   200 g or there a bouts of a low-fat natural yoghurt
•   1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•   1 teaspoon ground cumin
•   1 teaspoon ground coriander
•   1 teaspoon paprika
•   12 chicken thighs
•    a little groundnut oil
•   800g broccoli
•   1 tablespoon masala powder
•   ½ bunch of coriander
Method
1.    Peel the garlic and de seed the chilies
2.    Roughly chop and place in a pestle and mortar
3.    Bash to a rough paste with a good pinch of sea salt
4.    Transfer to a large bowl
5.    Peel, finely grate and add the ginger along with the lemon juice, yoghurt, ½ teaspoon of black pepper, the cinnamon, cumin,     coriander and paprika.
6.    Mix well to combine
7.    Add the chicken and stir to coat, then cover with cling-film and place in the fridge to marinate for around 12 hours
8.    Once you’re ready to cook, remove the chicken from the fridge and allow to come up to room temperature
9.    Preheat the oven to 200ºC
10.   Divide the chicken between 2 large pieces of tin foil, drizzle with oil
11.   Wrap up and place each parcel onto a large roasting tray and bake for 30 minutes
12.   When time to remove the foil and place the chicken directly on the trays
13.   Return to the oven for a further 30 minutes, or until golden and cooked through
14.   Cut the broccoli into small equal-sized florets and spread out on a large roasting tray in a single layer.
15.   Sprinkle over the masala
16.   Season well and drizzle with oil
17.   Place in the oven alongside the chicken, for 20 minutes, or until tender and lightly charred, shaking the tray occasionally
18.   Pick over the coriander leaves before serving.
19.   Delicious with steamed rice and you favourite Indian bread or raita

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-09-2017 03:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Home made pizza, nothing's as good ;) and no doubt you've made many in your time but I thought to share these two combinations. I put them together pretty quickly last night and amazed my guests :)

Base
.. Cheap store bought pizza bases (easy)
.. Tomato paste (I buy in tablespoon sized foil sachets as they keep well in the pantry) spread about to the edges

Filling #1
.. Roasted pumpkin & cashew couscous*. Yes I know. You're saying that's salad stuff!! Now normally this is a salad of sorts but it work wonderfully here
.. Roast chicken torn pieces (freshly torn tastes better somehow)
.. Small cubes of Feta cheese

Filling #2

.. Ham steak** (yes store bought processed stuff) cut into 5-10mm cubes and then pan fried until crispy
.. Pineapple pieces (tin or foil sachet) and drain first up
.. Onion thinly sliced

The cheese
Grated cheese of your choice and I use matured and a brand name..

Knock 'em together and enjoy :D

Quantities: It is fun to experiment so please yourself with volumes and additional sauces like BBQ/tomato but not too much of course. Please yourself regards salt & pepper

* There are recipes about but I had some leftover from lunch and thought why not, give it a try.
** I hadn't seem these in years but caught a glimpse in the supermarket processed meat/sausage area yesterday and grabbed them

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-09-2017 10:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Home made pizza, nothing's as good

Base
.. Cheap store bought pizza bases (easy)

:olo:

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 12-10-2017 07:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you have a breadmaker it's a great way to easily make pizza dough etc. Proper pizza dough does make a huge difference

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-10-2017 07:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pizza isn't homemade unless you make the dough yourself :|

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-10-2017 08:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

roast beef etc.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-10-2017 03:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
:olo:

I use them because they are quick and easy so I ask, do you have you a dough recipe I can try out?

seremtan wrote:
pizza isn't homemade unless you make the dough yourself :|

I do hear you :)
What do you recon about this no yeast pizza dough recipe and do you have your own recipe for a pizza base I can try out seremtan?

Code:
Ingredients

2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup milk
    1/4 cup butter (room temperature)

Instructions

•   Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, or prepare your pizza pan to your preference or instructions.

•   In large mixing bowl combine all ingredients, using dough hook mix on low speed until one ball of dough forms. (This can be made without a mixer, you will just stir until you have a ball of dough that forms)

•   Sprinkle flour onto a rolling pin and your hands, remove the ball of dough from the mixing bowl and pat down with flour to help form into a solid ball. Dough may be slightly sticky straight from the mixer.

•   Roll the dough into a ball and set onto the prepared baking sheet. Using the rolling pin coated with flour roll out the dough to desired thickness, mine was about 1/4 of an inch thick.

•   Spread with Homemade Pizza Sauce Top with desired toppings and bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from oven, allow time to cool and enjoy!

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-31-2017 04:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:
Nice :)

How are you finding using sharp knives over cheap nasty ones?

Talk to me about sharpening knives...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-31-2017 04:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-01-2018 12:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It will do the job I am sure Don Carlos and looks like value for money.

For me, a kind of New Year resolution, to try different recipes (as per recipe) from scratch and avoid substitutes, ginger for garlic for one :D

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 01-01-2018 03:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01HFI2KIE/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1514766585&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=best+knife+sharpener&dpPl=1&dpID=413a9M1AqmL&ref=plSrch

Looking at that...

That looks pretty good for the price. I've a 1000/3000 grit one so pretty similar. You only need to use the 1000 side if you've completely blunted your knife, 3000 should be fine most of the time. As you're sharpening you'll get a black sludge on top of the stone; don't clear it away, that's actually the abrasive that helps sharpen it. You'll know when you have the right angle as it'll make a satisfying grinding noise as you drag it along the stone :D

The 15' guide looks really useful, but bear in mind your western knife is probably meant to be sharpened at 20' (Japanese knives are usually 15') so you might want to angle it up by 5' to make 20 :).

I only ever sharpen mine with the stone once every few months, do a quick few swipes on a ceramic honing rod every few days or something to keep it topped up. Something like this maybe. Use the same 20' angle as with the steel. A honing rod doesn't actually sharpen a knife but re-aligns all the microscopic burrs on the edge which will make it cut better.

Practise on some old knives or something first but it's all pretty easy.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-02-2018 01:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thats the insight I come here for :D

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 01-02-2018 03:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe I made it all up :clownboat:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 12:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:
Maybe I made it all up :clownboat:

I don't think so.

Me, I am cooking a simple creamy salmon pasta for dinner tonight and trying to decide the type of pasta to make a variation. I usually use Fettuccine but last tried Penne but it didn't seem to work. I just might try the larger Rigatoni variety this time.
Note to self: Don't forget the spinach this time.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.