Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Are you into cooking?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Are you into cooking?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-01-2018 12:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It will do the job I am sure Don Carlos and looks like value for money.

For me, a kind of New Year resolution, to try different recipes (as per recipe) from scratch and avoid substitutes, ginger for garlic for one :D

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 01-01-2018 03:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01HFI2KIE/ref=mp_s_a_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1514766585&sr=8-10&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=best+knife+sharpener&dpPl=1&dpID=413a9M1AqmL&ref=plSrch

Looking at that...

That looks pretty good for the price. I've a 1000/3000 grit one so pretty similar. You only need to use the 1000 side if you've completely blunted your knife, 3000 should be fine most of the time. As you're sharpening you'll get a black sludge on top of the stone; don't clear it away, that's actually the abrasive that helps sharpen it. You'll know when you have the right angle as it'll make a satisfying grinding noise as you drag it along the stone :D

The 15' guide looks really useful, but bear in mind your western knife is probably meant to be sharpened at 20' (Japanese knives are usually 15') so you might want to angle it up by 5' to make 20 :).

I only ever sharpen mine with the stone once every few months, do a quick few swipes on a ceramic honing rod every few days or something to keep it topped up. Something like this maybe. Use the same 20' angle as with the steel. A honing rod doesn't actually sharpen a knife but re-aligns all the microscopic burrs on the edge which will make it cut better.

Practise on some old knives or something first but it's all pretty easy.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-02-2018 01:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thats the insight I come here for :D

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 01-02-2018 03:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe I made it all up :clownboat:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 12:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:
Maybe I made it all up :clownboat:

I don't think so.

Me, I am cooking a simple creamy salmon pasta for dinner tonight and trying to decide the type of pasta to make a variation. I usually use Fettuccine but last tried Penne but it didn't seem to work. I just might try the larger Rigatoni variety this time.
Note to self: Don't forget the spinach this time.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 01-03-2018 04:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds nice :)

I've not had chance to eat all day apart from a few biscuits and flapjack and it's now 12am, think I'm going to end up with an omelette before bed!

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-03-2018 07:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmmm.. I just surprised myself :eek:

I made homemade sausage rolls for lunch and they turned out rather well & tasty and such a pity I didn't take a photo before they were gobbled up. They were pretty good from all reports.

Here's the recipe. I did omit the garlic and onion in this my first effort.

Sauce :D

reboot
reboot
PostPosted: 09-03-2018 08:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Hmmm.. I just surprised myself :eek:

I made homemade sausage rolls for lunch and they turned out rather well & tasty and such a pity I didn't take a photo before they were gobbled up. They were pretty good from all reports.

Here's the recipe. I did omit the garlic and onion in this my first effort.

:D

:up:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-13-2020 09:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One good thing about the quarantine is that we actually have time to cook meals and eat together every night. Gotta cherish the good to get through this.

Turkey lasagna :drool:

Risotto with halibut

Let's see some Q3cooking :drool:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-14-2020 03:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This coronavirus shit is making me eat way too much. I'm eating out of boredom all the fucking time. That said, I downloaded Nier Automa yesterday and although I thought the game kinda looked like shit turns out I was dead wrong... game is awesome... If you played any games in the 90's you owe it to yourself to play this one.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-15-2020 12:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Re: Are you into cooking, I'm making a home made pizza tonight. Add a glass of wine or two and it can't be that bad..

Edit hours later :smirk: Bummer, I forgot to take a picture so maybe another soon.....

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-23-2020 02:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Still forgot to take photos of my meals. I am not an Insta/FB/Twitter player.

I just thought to say I tried a fried banana desert recipe last night, thought too to share :)

Pan Fried Cinnamon Bananas

Ingredients
• 2 bananas slightly overripe (mine had some brown spots on the skin)
• 2 tablespoons sugar (I used tbs of honey here)
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional) (I didn't use this time but will try next time)

Instructions
1. Peel and slice the bananas into rounds, approximately 1/3 inch thick
2. In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg (if desired). Set aside
3. Lightly spray a large skillet with nonstick oil spray (I used a knob of butter here) and warm over medium heat.
4. Add the banana rounds and sprinkle 1/2 of the cinnamon mixture on top
5. Cook for about 2-3 minutes.
6. Flip the rounds, sprinkle with the remaining cinnamon mixture
7. Cook for 2-3 more minutes until the bananas are soft and warmed through

I served over two scoops of ice cream.
Yummy :up: :up:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-23-2020 02:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That actually sounds way good...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-23-2020 03:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First time I've done the recipe. It was simple & quick, near last minute as I didn't want to throw out the bananas :D

Tonight I plan to use some spicy sausages that I found in the bottom of the freezer yesterday, cutting them down and precooking in to little meatballs. Throw them then in some 50/50 passata sauce (50/50 as I have some jar stuff I will add to) adding to cooked penne pasta, chuck it in the oven for a while and add parmesan cheese before serving. Accompany with some buttered Turkish bread rolls.

Seems I will be trying more and varied meals as this pandemic continues. You?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-24-2020 09:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
One good thing about the quarantine is that we actually have time to cook meals and eat together every night. Gotta cherish the good to get through this.

How did you do that Risotto?

The lasagna looks like a crime.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-11-2020 02:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
Captain Mazda wrote:

How did you do that Risotto?

The lasagna looks like a crime.

?

I put together a quick beef massaman curry last night. Quick in that I didn't have a couple of ingredients to hand, namely the kaffir lime leaves and the tamarind paste. Still it tasted great :)

Recipe here

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-28-2020 07:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I finally got to cook an easy corned beef recipe. It has been on my 'to do' list for ages.
Cooked it up yesterday afternoon and just enjoyed slices on a sandwich for lunch. Yum :up:

Ingredients

1.5kg (3.3 lb) silverside (Bottom Round)
1 onion, roughly chopped
1 carrot, roughly chopped
10 peppercorns
6 cloves
2 bay leaves
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup malt vinegar
Enough water to cover

I omitted the carrots :smirk: figuring it didn't add much, maybe add next time.....

Instructions

• Place the beef into a large deep pot. Add the rest of the ingredients and fill with enough water to cover the beef.
• Place the pot over high heat and bring to a boil.
• Once boiling, reduce the heat until it is a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 2 hours, and maintain a simmer.
• Remove the beef from the liquid and allow it to rest for 15 minutes.

When cooled I wrapped in al-foil and kept in the fridge overnight. I've been told, once cooked, it will keep for a week. Anyone else confirm this please?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-29-2020 05:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Never sprinkle maple sugar (dehydrated pure maple) on your bacon if you ever want to eat normal bacon again. I'll be chasing that dragon for a while now.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-27-2020 08:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looking for something a little different to try soon and stumbled across this so ask, anyone tried similar?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-05-2021 11:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If I had the time..... .... but it is mesmerism nevertheless.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-08-2021 07:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I made fatteh a few weeks back.

fried crunchy bread, chickpeas, tahini yoghurt, chili-infused clarified butter

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-08-2021 08:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:

JFC... There's so much to unpack from that video. It's so well done and edited but the content is so strange. Either way, holy shit, that looks like so much work for one meal but godamn it looks good. I've actually watched this guys video's before I think, he was cooking Wagyu beef and there isn't much to that since the beef itself is so good. I'm skeptical I'll ever try this but I really want to just to taste that. Imagine how disappointed you'd be if it just tastes like every steak you normally eat.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-08-2021 12:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had to Google JFC :D

The Beef Wellington video was an effort in itself and very few would attempt the dish IMO.

:arrow: Pext, fatteh, I must give it a go :up:

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 03-08-2021 12:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
:arrow: Pext, fatteh, I must give it a go :up:

Regarding the ingredients this is the best recipe I've found so far.

But after some research and two attempts I would stack the ingredients in a different order. Mostly to prevent the butter from pooling at the bottom of the bowl and to better preserve the crunch of the bread.

Check this video from my favourite lebanese restaurant in berlin. Relevant part is at 3:25.

https://www.facebook.com/22832314401994 ... 454761803/

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-08-2021 01:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:

Oh my word :drool: :drool: :drool:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-09-2021 01:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Whiskey 7 wrote:

Oh my word :drool: :drool: :drool:

Forget it, I'm not going to watch a 72 hour video

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-09-2021 07:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo: That does look fuckin' tasty though... wrap it in bacon.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-14-2021 01:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:

Thanks for the introduction to this channel, Whiskey. I love it.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-15-2021 04:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah that dude is good. Watch his tips on cooking steak in the oven, I refuse to do it any other way since trying it.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-15-2021 10:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Yeah that dude is good. Watch his tips on cooking steak in the oven, I refuse to do it any other way since trying it.

I must try this.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-15-2021 11:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is the video in question, I do the 50 minute version, it's fucking fantastic. Really important to elevate the steak so it's not sitting directly on the baking sheet.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-15-2021 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Κracus wrote:

I must try this.

Me too :up:

Edit: Watch the video to the end. I have never pan fried asparagus. I need to give that a go :D

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-19-2021 06:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I always pan fry asparagus, it's delicious...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-19-2021 07:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grilled is the only way to go...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-19-2021 09:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm actually curious as to how you'd cook them otherwise? Grilled is kinda meh cause you can't let it soak in a buttery juice unless you use a pan but then that's just awkward on a bbq or are you talking about in the oven? That sounds even worse tbh... I like my asparagus to have a specific texture, not too soggy not too crisp/dry.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.