Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Are you into cooking?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Are you into cooking?

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 04-19-2021 09:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
I'm actually curious as to how you'd cook them otherwise? Grilled is kinda meh cause you can't let it soak in a buttery juice unless you use a pan but then that's just awkward on a bbq or are you talking about in the oven? That sounds even worse tbh... I like my asparagus to have a specific texture, not too soggy not too crisp/dry.

The most popular way to prepare asparagus in germany (the most asparagus crazed country in the world) is to simply cook it. It's then traditionally served with either clearified butter or sauce hollandaise together with boiled potatoes, wet-cured ham (prosciutto cotto) and minced parsley.

https://cooking-the-world.com/tradition ... asparagus/

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-20-2021 02:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah it’s the just cook it part we’re discussing. Do Germans fry it in a pan? I’m guessing they do based on the description.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-20-2021 03:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Yeah it’s the just cook it part we’re discussing. Do Germans fry it in a pan? I’m guessing they do based on the description.

With "cook it" he means boiling it in a pot of water. We actually have a special pan for this

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-20-2021 12:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've never seen or heard of one of these asparagus boilers but it looks like it does the job for a number of servings....

For two, I place my asparagus in a fry-pan with about an inch (20mm) of water bought to a boil, sometimes adding a little salt if I feel the need. On plating, I squeeze fresh lemon juice over and if I didn't add salt earlier, I might sprinkle coarse (rocky) table salt over too for the 'effect' but it simply must be served with a crispiness.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-20-2021 08:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:

Nope. Boiling in boiling water.
No pan at all here.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-21-2021 03:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I'm open to trying things so I'm not ruling it out but generally speaking I do not like my asparagus boiled with water at all. I put it in a frying pan with generous amounts of butter, salt and pepper or whatever seasoning you prefer and I fry it on a medium/low setting turning often. I kinda want to get some asparagus now.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-21-2021 05:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We make soup out of 'em often as well

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-21-2021 07:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like frying them in left over bacon grease... I can't remember the last time I had soup of any kind.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-21-2021 10:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Re: Are you into cooking, me, well I am knocking together a One Pan Lasagne or lasanga tonight.

Got to love the spelling differences about the globe.

Anyway, here's a recipe I'll base my effort on. I'll add basil in lieu of the baby spinach and omit the grated carrot.

Grated carrot? I've never tried here. Guess I should accept the challenge one day.

I'll accompany with a warmed bread and a glass of imported French Rosé wine. It must be good :D

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-21-2021 11:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Carrot has a bit of a sweet taste. While I do like the taste of carrot, I don't like it in my pasta dishes either.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-21-2021 11:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Carrot has a bit of a sweet taste. While I do like the taste of carrot, I don't like it in my pasta dishes either.

Looking good.. In the oven now.. Photo and I dont' like pictures of my cooking, soon :)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-22-2021 12:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-22-2021 12:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice. Bon appetit!

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-23-2021 02:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tried to make goats cheese and spinach rigatoni the other day

forgot to get the goats cheese

kek

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-23-2021 11:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
We make soup out of 'em often as well

Give me a break... /s

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-02-2021 10:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
This is the video in question, I do the 50 minute version, it's fucking fantastic. Really important to elevate the steak so it's not sitting directly on the baking sheet.

Jesus christ I legit popped a halfchub watching that.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-03-2021 04:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm going to have to try that 5 hour one but I guess I need to buy that thing to make it Sous Vide...

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 05-17-2021 01:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I made some chinese dishes on the weekend:

braised and steamed pork belly
cabbage salad
chicken noodle soup

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-17-2021 12:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks yummy. Where's this restaurant?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-24-2022 10:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Went looking for an old recipe here and then some on YT :D I have to try some of these.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-26-2022 07:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Found these at the local delicatessen yesterday and just had to 'give them a go' at a BBQ on the coming weekend :D

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-26-2022 09:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Found these at the local delicatessen yesterday and just had to 'give them a go' at a BBQ on the coming weekend :D

Mhmm, delicious. :drool:

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-01-2022 01:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

IDK if I posted this already but I make pretty good burgers:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-01-2022 01:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You couldn't get your lips around that and it just has to be a knife & fork job surely.

Ingredients look like any other unless you have a 'special sauce' or ingredient and I must ask, the patties, are they beef or another meat?

My sausages (posted above) weren't bad at all and yes, you could taste the fruitiness in a little way. I must look out for variants at the same deli :)

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-01-2022 01:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
You couldn't get your lips around that and it just has to be a knife & fork job surely.

Ingredients look like any other unless you have a 'special sauce' or ingredient and I must ask, the patties, are they beef or another meat?

My sausages (posted above) weren't bad at all and yes, you could taste the fruitiness in a little way. I must look out for variants at the same deli :)

You gotta do 'the squish' after taking the photo, then it's a more reasonable size :)

Patties are beef mince, some salt/pepper, and squished flat as possible in the pan. Cook in about two minutes flat. I have no idea why this makes them taste so good but it does.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-01-2022 02:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:

oh fuck ya bud :drool: :drool: :drool:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-01-2022 05:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain wrote:
oh fuck ya bud :drool: :drool: :drool:

Me thinks so too and yes 'squished' was the correct answer :D

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-02-2022 12:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:

:drool:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-02-2022 07:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:

That looks deadly. :up:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-03-2022 04:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-03-2022 10:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:

I have a pretty big mouth, but this thing, this is unbeatable. :olo: She could swallow that burger on one hit.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-04-2022 07:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.