Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Do you still listen to MW?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Do you still listen to MW?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 01-06-2017 10:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do ya still listen to MW band? Which MW radio station is your favourite. Mine is 981 kHz Český Impuls and 1062 kHz Country Radio :) Český Impuls for the reason they're playing Czech and Slovak songs from 60's to 80's and Country Radio for the reason I like to listen Country music :) Anyway, I prefer to listen FM tuner, but my radio receiver is broken and only AM tuner works, so I'm able to listen only MW band, which is pretty poorly received inside a building. Since Zbraslav and Líbeznice are pretty far from my home, the signal is able to receive outside, but inside reception is washed out :( But it's good to know that there are still MW radio stations and pretty much their count is growing. And maybe some day MW will overtake from FM and we will again return to long-distance radio reception. Did you ever receive some pirate station? How did it play? :)

I'm asking as radio is still a topic in being informed and entertained and there's still analogue radio broadcasting active and pretty much won't be disabled until digital radio receivers get some cheap prices down. As a matter of personal prefference, analogue signal did it better. Analogue reception is very strong as opposed to digital. Digital is lost when signal is about 50% down (and does not work at all), analogue signal still plays pretty good even in 50% reception, though with some briefly loud noise. And MW reception is (as in signal transmission length - how far it can be received from transmitter) better than FM (VSV) reception. Even with pretty low sound quality the music enjoyment is still very high, which compensates the low-quality for long-distance reception “tax” (to make it more clear - the higher frequency, the better quality signal is available, but the shorter maximum reception distance is available, which makes the FM radio stations more “local” in desired location /may be state, region or even smaller accomodations/, but MW radio stations are wider and more “global” in term of location /one transmitter can be received from very far place even abroad, in night it's pretty much bad rather than good as the reception range is much wider and two or more stations on the same frequency are now sharing the same broadcast area and it's available to receive two stations at once, which is a kind of annoying and not listenable, but in daylight, it's very good to listen hundred of kilometers far radio transmitter).

In addition, this is list of European MW transmitters:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_European_medium_wave_transmitters

I didn't find US MW transmitters, though...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-06-2017 12:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"seaside hospital radio"

sounds like the final resting place of Alan Partridge

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-06-2017 12:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I listen to the Führer on MW. He is somewhere out there.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-06-2017 12:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's a local radio station that I have been listening to for years as I like their news format and easy listening music from my youth. I particularly like it in the car went stuck in traffic and thankfully that isn't too frequent in recent years :D

My (walking) mp3/radio is only FM and I put up with FM radio really only for the news, then swap to the mp3 player for my type of music.

You may have guessed I am not into 'streaming' just yet.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 01-06-2017 12:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

we have a fm radio station here that is slowly replacing the original songs and artists with "house brand" versions of the songs.

it is creepy because they try to make them almost indistinguishable with the originals

i can only guess profit is the reason

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-06-2017 03:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:

432khz?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-06-2017 05:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Ferrao10 wrote:

432khz?

:up: :olo: :olo: :olo: :alert:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.