Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The Grand Tour (Clarkson Hammond May)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: The Grand Tour (Clarkson Hammond May)

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-19-2016 03:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

anyone else watched the first episode yet?

without giving too much away: it's basically Top Gear on steroids. whatever your opinion was of that show will also be your opinion of this show

if i had to make one criticism (and i do) it would be that Clarkson, Hammond and May are in danger of turning into parodies of themselves. other than that it was kinda fun

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-19-2016 04:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was mega - I've missed them

:D

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-19-2016 08:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can't wait to see this...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-19-2016 01:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
if i had to make one criticism (and i do) it would be that Clarkson, Hammond and May are in danger of turning into parodies of themselves.

Agreed. They tried a bit too much...
The intro was good, the rest imo a bit lenghty.
The gag with the dead celebs was meh. Same goes for the Stig-ersatz and that RAF vs. US air force part ("USA! USA!" Oh come on...). I missed that special kind of british anarcho humour. Everything seemed a bit too staged. And I expected a show called "Grand Tour" to relate ab bit more to the location it took place: California [Edit: Nevada] desert. Instead most was filmed on that racetrack in Andalusia and in England. So why did they go to the US with all their crew at all? All that seemed to me a bit incoherent.
Tbh all in all I was a bit disappointed...

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-20-2016 12:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was ok

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-20-2016 01:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was kinda shitty, not as shitty as new Top Gear but enough to make it stink.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-21-2016 04:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I kinda liked it, felt more like old top gear than top gear.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 11-21-2016 06:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was decent, I'll continue watching. Thought some bits were a bit drawn out, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 11-21-2016 04:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm hoping the rest of the series (season) continues to get better. I'm liking it so far :up:.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-22-2016 06:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Was pretty epic, can;t wait for the specials :D :up:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-22-2016 11:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

epic, really? fuck off troll.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 11-22-2016 05:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

as usual i am the only one with sense enough to call it

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-23-2016 01:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:

Srs, TG has resumed normal service. Youll love it when the specials start. Thought the new layout was cool too, conversation street ?, and the way they took the piss out of themselves even if it was a plant.

They also had an F1 driver and a proper track, which made the normally quite dull episodes of TG where they actually reviewed cars quite entertaining.

And the fuck you to the beeb, who failed at their different layout. No bollox like star in a rallyX car.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-23-2016 04:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Famous Person Driving A Car You Can Actually Afford, Peasant

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-23-2016 06:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

liked it, except the redneck they chose to be their driver... i mean wtf. watching him do a lap, I had this feeling that he wasn't doing the car justice. I hope this guy isn't the one sticking around for the rest of the episodes.

Also, what's the deal with the invited stars and not doing the traditional laptime run?

Did bbc claim monopoly on that activity? if they did, that really sucks cause in a way that was a big part of the show.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-23-2016 08:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The American is a good driver dude

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-23-2016 01:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Doombrain wrote:

Srs, TG has resumed normal service. Youll love it when the specials start. Thought the new layout was cool too, conversation street ?, and the way they took the piss out of themselves even if it was a plant.

They also had an F1 driver and a proper track, which made the normally quite dull episodes of TG where they actually reviewed cars quite entertaining.

And the fuck you to the beeb, who failed at their different layout. No bollox like star in a rallyX car.

The specials were only ever the best parts IMO. Same here, only with swearing which really cheapens it. Pandering to the yank audience too, and im not just talking about ep1 that was in the US but the whole series.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-23-2016 01:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually agree about the swearing

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-23-2016 03:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i was surprised there wasn't more of that, given this is going out on the interwebs

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-26-2016 06:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Many laughs at the second episode too. Clarkson is just a funny bloke.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 11-26-2016 10:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They have again picked up Škoda Auto for their own testing :) Last it was Škoda Yetti (yet in Top Gear back in time), now they picked up some else model (can't remember which now). But I didn't watch the episode, so I don't know what they did to the Czech car. But as far as I've heard, they trashed it :D

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-26-2016 12:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

>car-based show
>spend half the episode running around shooting things

yep :)

plained
plained
PostPosted: 11-26-2016 01:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Re: Former Top Gear hosts to make new auto show for Amazon

plained wrote:
i dont watch, or ever have watched the show but i believe it will be bigger and better than b4

theyre free now and that point will be made in a big way

America style!

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-26-2016 01:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
>car-based show
>spend half the episode running around shooting things

yep :)

lol innit, I pissed a little when they asked May to go steal the car cos this is a car show and we need a car.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 01-09-2017 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:

Mike Skinner never won a single race in 286 Nascar races, in fact the only time he won anything was in those godawful redneck truck series.

He's the absolute worst part of the show, the rest doesn't have much to do about cars. Top Gear used to be tongue-in-cheek infotainment, Grand Tour feels like slapstick drivel for a dumbed-down audience.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-09-2017 11:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Don Carlos wrote:

Mike Skinner never won a single race in 286 Nascar races, in fact the only time he won anything was in those godawful redneck truck series.

Ben Collins never won a race and he was The Stig...

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 01-09-2017 11:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But he did drive FIA, Touring, Le Mans, etc. I don't question his driving ability with all the disciplines he participated in.

The American drove on straightaways with slight left turns and looks like a slightly classier gwamps. I don't know if it's the track or the editing, but he never seems to be pushing the cars either.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-09-2017 12:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the Namibia special was pfg

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 01-09-2017 01:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was, but the rest of the episodes feel lacking and they never seem to do anything specific to the locations they're shooting in. They film an episode in the Finnish winter and don't do any rally stuff? wtf?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-09-2017 03:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah that is an issue i have with it too. the segments should be from the country where the marquee is that week

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-09-2017 08:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
But he did drive FIA, Touring, Le Mans, etc. I don't question his driving ability with all the disciplines he participated in.

The American drove on straightaways with slight left turns and looks like a slightly classier gwamps...

...?

Ben Collins in the BTCC failed to score a single point with a team that finished the championship in 4th :olo: , granted he was only involved in a 3rd of the races but still. His celebrity status has helped him quite a bit.

Mike Skinner is alright, just cos he likes an oval doesn't mean he's a write off, those series have some proper tracks too. The fact he was on the grid for so long kind of proves his worth.

Captain Mazda wrote:
...I don't know if it's the track or the editing, but he never seems to be pushing the cars either.

That's kind of the joke.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 01-09-2017 09:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind him as much if his character would stfu. He's not funny and the writing doesn't help.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-10-2017 10:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that American guy is really surplus to requirements. the Stig is one thing Top Gear still has over GT

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-10-2017 11:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I bet they have to have him talking or the beeb will sue.

James May isn't allowed to say cock or Amazon will be sued...!

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-10-2017 12:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Didn't stop them from doing this :)

Shame they didn't stick with it, guessing that was too much of a no, no

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.