Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        YouTube ~ Short Sci Fi Films

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: YouTube ~ Short Sci Fi Films

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-19-2017 11:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake 3 World I will bet some of you are into science fiction so I will raise my hand and tell you that lately I have come to enjoy short sci fi films; you guessed, found on YouTube .

I have seen a number now, approaching a hundred I'd guess and you are correct, some are rubbish, but every now and then you find one that you have to tell others about, hence this topic.

Take the time, watch this. I found it moving.
Stars Keir Dullea from 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968). He appears at the end.

- REMOVED CLIP -

Found another :smirk:

Post your choice only if your into YouTube short sci fi films.

EDIT: I removed the YouTube clip because the associated account had been terminated?

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 05-06-2017 03:58 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-20-2017 12:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

very cool :up:

It's incredible how cheap and accessible good quality CGI has become for amateurs. There's quite a bit of talent out there.

I liked this one as well. It's very short (5 mins or so) but they paint a very rich backstory with a lot of emotion in a single 5 minute conversation. The eyes do a lot of the work.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-20-2017 06:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Great watch @ Whiskey7, thx for sharing!
The Idea reminds me alot of "Moontrap" (1980s b-movie with Bruce Campbell, but still one of my Sci-Fi-favorites of all time).

:up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-21-2017 09:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks Eraser and AndyW. I appreciate both videos. There are some good ones out there and like you said Eraser "There's quite a bit of talent out there.." :up:

Here's two more :D

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-22-2017 01:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This one stuck in my mind :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-22-2017 06:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Liked all of these :up: :up: :up: ... The Gunfighter :olo:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-26-2017 07:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's one to ponder....

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-07-2017 09:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's an interesting one IMO but some 40 minutes log...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-08-2017 01:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:

Ha, just got around to watching this. It's good :)
Has something of The Stanley Parable over it

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-08-2017 12:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:

*vid*

excellent :olo: :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-14-2017 11:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A short one :D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-06-2017 02:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't know if I first heard about this here, but I started watching H+ on Youtube a while ago. It's a series of short episodes that are about 6 minutes each. Now they have all of the episodes in one playlist... going to pick up where I left off.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-09-2017 04:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

surgeon62 wrote:
I don't know if I first heard about this here, but I started watching H+ on Youtube a while ago. It's a series of short episodes that are about 6 minutes each. Now they have all of the episodes in one playlist... going to pick up where I left off.

Very interesting. Episode 1 and I am hooked... Added to my watch later list so thanks surgeon62.
I went to find more and am surprised there are 48 :!:

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-10-2017 09:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:

Owner of this video made it unavailable un your country - so Tor?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-16-2017 10:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here's a 10 minute one to scan. Not bad IMO.

Title: "Sol 87" a Martian theme Sci Fi Thriller

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-23-2017 02:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OK... I've been checking out shorts on the Dust channel. The quality varies a lot, but I liked this one the most so far...

Link since the video embed doesn't work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qLD02PTHko

Last edited by surgeon62 on 09-25-2017 05:15 PM, edited 2 times in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-24-2017 10:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

surgeon62 wrote:
OK... I've been checking out shorts on the Dust channel. The quality varies a lot, but I liked this one the most so far...

Link since the video embed doesn't work:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-25-2017 05:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^^^
OK... I see... you just need the part after the "v=". :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-01-2018 09:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Back :D

I had some time today so went looking for an escape ...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-03-2018 09:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:up: :up: :up: Looks like a decent setup for a series

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-04-2018 03:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My favorite...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-04-2018 11:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
My favorite...

I have a coworker with the last name"Hacker". I finally got him to watch it for Hackerman. The next day, he told me he had his sons watch it and they all loved it.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-05-2018 03:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It should have won an oscar.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-07-2018 01:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Adam trilogy comes to mind

And with that Oats Studio's (Neil Blomkamp's) stuff .

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-14-2018 05:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Those were great... Started poking around on the Oats Studios page and promptly found this:

If you're a fan of Sci-fi Horror (and have a strong stomach), just watch it.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-15-2018 11:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think they are all pretty hefty in regards of violence, graphically and psychologically.

The other two lenghtier entries would be

and Firebase for which you now have to sign into youtube because of R-rated content?

Firebase and

are my favourites.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-15-2018 05:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Liked those too... Just happened to come across this one from David Firth on another board... A little science fiction with a lot of commentary on human greed.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-15-2018 08:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I enjoyed Cream by David Firth and will be looking for more :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-17-2018 12:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I need finish Oats Studios - Volume 1 - Rakka Ferrao10.

Neill Blomkamp :up: with the inclusion of Sigourney Weaver in the cast, come on now :!:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-18-2018 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Took me an eternity (2 hours internet time today) to find the following short I had seen 5 years ago of which I remembered it had a skeleton in a fighter-plane-seat and it was pretty good.
Here it is:

Turn On Subtitles!

Stumbled upon the following one while searching, has a hearty Spielberg/Amblin-vibe to it:

IMO, both are great proofs of concept of the execution of an idea distilled into a short film. They also show that you really do not need a lot of money nowadays to create an astonishing short, maybe 10K-20K in hard-/software and some people with good know-how. And probably a lot of time, at least for live action. Like, getting the crew together, finding a date, actual shoot and then post-production.
But pure short CGI can be done pretty quickly on your own, I guess. Like, 6 months maybe for that short, idea to finished short? Correct me if I'm wrong there, just a layman guessing.

Cream had a really great start, carried the strong narrative through the second act but unfortunately fell short in the third in my opinion. Three kinds of AIDS? Why not just cow-madness, H1Z1 etc.? I'm sorry, it lost me there.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-18-2018 11:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
Took me an eternity (2 hours internet time today) to find the following short ......

Thanks as I did enjoy :up:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-19-2018 02:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The UN just had a world-meeting about how to regulate or even ban autonomous weapon-systems.
They didn't come to a conclusion.
Autonomous means an AI pulls the trigger unlike a smart weapon that locks on but is triggered by a Human.

Since I'm a pacifist by heart it's my worst nightmare. The idea of machines deciding where and what to shoot/bomb.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-21-2018 05:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fortress reminded me of one of the stories in the original Heavy Metal movie from way back in 1981. Everyone in the crew on a fighter plane turned into skeleton zombies except for one guy. Here's a screencap...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-06-2018 11:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I saw Heavy Metal back then while I was high as kite and our stoner-circle was deep into european comics and Fritz the Cat.
Thanks for bringing it up, it's on my watchlist for the next round of DVDs/Bluerays now.
Do you remember the title of the story the screencap is from?

Speaking of Heavy Metal, here's an Animatic of Moebius' "The Long Tomorrow":
The short comic from 1975 that probably influenced movies like Star Wars, Blade Runner, Dune and others. The idea of a vertical city with the lower tires attributed to slum-like conditions, the costumes, the noir-feeling. IMO, it was a pioneer of modern sci-fi and even cyberpunk.

NSFWish! ComicNuditiy!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-22-2018 06:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow... I can't believe that was from '75... I see what you mean with what it has influenced.

BTW... The story in the Heavy Metal movie was titled "B-17"

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.