Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-15-2018 05:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not Star Wars, Disney. Don't start posting like Gramps ffs. The film was a big 'fuck you' to our generation.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-15-2018 09:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it was?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-15-2018 10:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, it was.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 01-15-2018 10:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Think of the children doombrain.
It’s for them now, not us.
The other day my kid said ep2 was one of their favorite star wars movies.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-15-2018 10:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-15-2018 11:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Don't start posting like Gramps ffs...

Whoa whoa whoa...whoa...

Say what you want about Star Wars. But you’re crossing a line...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-15-2018 12:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:

I trust that you disowned him instantly?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-15-2018 01:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The old ones were for all generations, these ones are cheap thrills (with rogue 1 being fan service)

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 01-15-2018 02:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
shaft wrote:

I trust that you disowned him instantly?

It was my 10yo daughter and she really liked Padmé. I accepted it and realized that without the nostaglia of the original trilogy that our generation has, kids look at all the new movies differently.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 01-15-2018 02:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As a grown ass man I realize that a lot of movies I liked as a kid suck, and the ones I do still like I like for different reasons. Ghostbusters is the best example. Kids are dumb and like most things as long as you make a toy of it. they shouldn't be the primary audience for anything except for actual children's entertainment.

I haven't seen the movie yet so I don't know anything.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-15-2018 02:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the prequel trilogy was cringe with or without Eps 4-6. see red letter media for more details

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-16-2018 06:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
the prequel trilogy was cringe with or without Eps 4-6. see red letter media for more details

Is an excellent breakdown, the presentation could be a struggle for some though.

He's done Force Awakens now n all.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-17-2018 10:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/4 ... y-fan-edit

John Boyega and Mark Hamill have responded to a fan edit of Star Wars: The Last Jedi which cuts out the film's female characters.

An angry Star Wars fan created a "men-only" version of The Last Jedi, reducing it to just 46 minutes.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-17-2018 10:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

they should respond by making a "women-only" version of Lawrence of Arabia, reducing it from 222 minutes to 0 minutes

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-17-2018 10:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shit film.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-18-2018 02:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Someone is upset over the number of female characters in Star Wars? Was it Memphis?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-18-2018 04:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

rumour has it that it wasn't done as a 'men-only' version but rather as 'bits-the-editor-didn't-think-were-shit' version

hard to do a men-only version when the main character is female :|

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-18-2018 09:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't see the difference if the inclusion of a female character automatically put the scene in the shit bin

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-18-2018 09:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It depends without looking too much into it, it could be a case of people losing their shit at the female screen time getting chopped down.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-18-2018 10:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think some people feel they threw in female characters just for the sake of it. “There aren’t enough female leads and roles in film!” So they overstack the film.

The right move would be to just add female characters when needed and male characters when needed. Females want to be equal, as they should be. So just make it equal. Don’t over compensate.

Just FYI, I have no problem with the amount of females in the movie...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-18-2018 10:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*femoids

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-18-2018 11:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I don't see the difference if the inclusion of a female character automatically put the scene in the shit bin

you're implying a unproven causal link

i haven't seen the movie yet, but i'm bracing myself for something very average

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 01-18-2018 09:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I think some people feel they threw in female characters just for the sake of it. “There aren’t enough female leads and roles in film!” So they overstack the film.

The right move would be to just add female characters when needed and male characters when needed. Females want to be equal, as they should be. So just make it equal. Don’t over compensate.

Just FYI, I have no problem with the amount of females in the movie...

Aye, I mean every scene with purple hair can get cut out, most of Leias shit too, along with Finn and whats her face which leaves us with Rey.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-19-2018 10:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been thinking more about this film. And the more I think about it, the less I like it.

Killing Snoke was a huge disappointment. A massively missed opportunity in my opinion. He was one of the only interesting new characters to be introduced in this new series. And they killed him just as his character progression began. He seemed to have a ton of potential as far as back story goes. And maybe we’ll see more of him in the next film. But flashbacks are rarely done correctly and rarely offer much of interest because we already know his fate. What a big letdown...

Also, purple hair lady was completely wank. And I like Laura Dern. But that character was terrible. Ok, there was a bit of a mystery to her at first because of her questionable strategies, but once it’s known whose side she’s on, there’s nothing else there. The farewell between her and Laia is totally lost on us. They speak of being through so much with one another, but that means nothing to us. We don’t have a clue what their talking about. Dumb...

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-19-2018 11:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The biggest two things for me?

Luke throwing the sabre and the effect of gravity in space i.e the shots fired being 'lobbed' and bombs being dropped if a huge fuck off to everyone.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 01-19-2018 11:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Definitely some problems with physics.

The Luke sabre bit was a bit cringey. I’ve never liked all the unnecessary humor. The original episodes had very little of that...

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-19-2018 11:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He took TFA and just shat all over it.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-20-2018 08:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The humor in the original trilogy was largely from the droids, because... well, they're stupid droids and it's the only way to give them any form of personality. Other than that, there were a few sharp words between Leia and Han. The problem with TLJ is that it's a little slapstick, all over the place, and really weird with timing. You would have a fairly dramatic scene followed immediately by one of the characters fucking about for no reason at all. The humor isn't endearing as it was in the original movies, and that's why it makes you cringe.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.