Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        LEGO Saturn V

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: LEGO Saturn V

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-06-2017 12:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LEGO is releasing a set of the Saturn V rocket that was used for the NASA Apollo missions on June 1st, 2017.
It will be about 1 meter high and consist of 1969 pieces (which, obviously, isn't a coincidence).
It is seperable in 3 separate stages and also contains the moon lander and command module that landed back on earth.

It's gonna cost you $120/€120/£110

I definitely am going to order one :)

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/1-blog/post/137

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 05-06-2017 12:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's really fucking cool

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 05-06-2017 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no-brainer purchase :D

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-06-2017 02:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

vesp wrote:
no-brainer purchase :D

Certainly is :up:
Even though I am a Technics fan this is close enough for me so thanks Eraser for the heads up.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-06-2017 07:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cost per brick, this is one of the relatively cheaper sets.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-06-2017 11:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

awesome. it would be disassembled within days in my house tho... :/

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-01-2017 01:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

UPDATE: I am still trying to buy this set but like the recent Star Wars (UCS) Millennium Falcon (75192) I continue to be left in disappointment.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 10-01-2017 03:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

Have they made it legal to kill ur kids yet???

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-01-2017 11:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

O yea, I have it. It's quite big. Put it up on display at my work though. We moved to new offices where there's a bit of a space theme going on so I thought it'd fit right in.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-01-2017 11:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
MKJ wrote:

ikr
theyre older now tho and there's a few sets they understand they can't take apart. Like the X-Wing.
Their playdates don't always seem to care.. is it legal to kill other people's kids?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-01-2017 11:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:smirk: I am still trying to get my hands on it...

So tell me about the build; worth it?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-01-2017 11:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
scared? wrote:

ikr
theyre older now tho and there's a few sets they understand they can't take apart. Like the X-Wing.
Their playdates don't always seem to care.. is it legal to kill other people's kids?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-02-2017 06:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I ordered mine online on launch day (teehee), they shipped it to me quite a while back. Took me most of a full day to assemble. This thing is a full metre tall.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-02-2017 06:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
So tell me about the build; worth it?

Definitely. What you see on the outside is just the shell. On the inside are intricate constructions of the various fuel tanks and connection points for the outside layer.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-02-2017 08:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this barely qualifies as LEGO at this point tbf

pretty cool though. will not buy

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-02-2017 12:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
I ordered mine online on launch day (teehee), they shipped it to me quite a while back. Took me most of a full day to assemble. This thing is a full metre tall.

Quote:
Definitely. What you see on the outside is just the shell. On the inside are intricate constructions of the various fuel tanks and connection points for the outside layer.

Thanks obsidian & Eraser :up:
My faith is restored as I wait to get my hands on this one.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-02-2017 01:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:

Why not?

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 10-03-2017 12:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's more like Lego than that Harry Potter bullshit

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 10-03-2017 02:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
seremtan wrote:

Why not?

Possibly the "If it's not a box of square bricks then it just ain't lego" argument?

edit... image above isn't even a box of square bricks!
Is seremtan harkening back to a bygone age restricted by a limited number of production moulds ? :p

plained
plained
PostPosted: 10-03-2017 07:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

had this in 1973!

lego has come a long way!

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-03-2017 09:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

careful guys or i might tell you your phones aren't very good and then you'll be sorry :dts:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-03-2017 09:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh right, I forgot, this is the Internet, where politely asking someone to elaborate on their opinions doesn't work.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-03-2017 09:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As someone who grew up playing with classic Lego and loving the shit out of it, it's really cool to see how far they've come. It's just a shame their sets are so expensive now and I have too many expensive hobbies already :|

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-03-2017 11:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
seremtan wrote:

Why not?

well maybe i'm old school but to me LEGO was something where you could build whatever you want, and Airfix kits were something where you built what the designers told you to build

that said, i will never buy this or any other LEGO stuff :|

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 10-03-2017 11:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aye that's my main issue with it too - they're almost "too good" at the moment, releasing a lot of really desirable sets all the bloody time, and the best ones are the pricey ones!

I'm a lifelong Lego fan... I had a fair bit of Lego growing up and have only ever added to the collection. Some of the oldest pieces were originally my Dad's - 1:87 and 1:90 scale vehicles from the 1950s that you wouldn't at first glance think were Lego, and a few sets that predate the "true brick" (without the clutch elements on the underside of the bricks)

So.. I'm always interested when I hear someone say about modern sets that they're not "proper" Lego, considering the bricks and their usage has evolved so much ever since they've been produced!

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-03-2017 11:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
well maybe i'm old school but to me LEGO was something where you could build whatever you want, and Airfix kits were something where you built what the designers told you to build

Pretty sure you can still buy loose-brick sets and build whatever you want, not sure though.

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 10-03-2017 11:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:

But... 99% of Lego sets are sold as a kit, with instructions, and then you tear it to bits and make something else. That's the whole point?
Not sure how this Saturn V set is any different :question:

the "bucket of bricks with no instructions" was a relatively late arrival in terms of what Lego sold !

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-03-2017 11:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i wonder when LEGO will release the Gramps Head kit? or would that not be challenging enough?

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 10-04-2017 12:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Amuhrica?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-04-2017 03:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

he needs a little LEGO generator sidekick that lights up when you flick the switch

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 10-04-2017 09:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Beast

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-06-2017 03:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I called the Lego store last week to check availability. They said there were none about and they didn't know when or how many they might get in. I asked my name be put on the please call list and to call me when they arrive.

The Lego store just called and they have had a few arrive... Happy days :D I will pick up next week.

Lego online today still say unavailable..

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-06-2017 11:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool. You won't be disappointed :)

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-06-2017 11:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
I called the Lego store last week to check availability... I asked my name be put on the please call list and to call me when they arrive.

do you live in the 1980s? :smirk:

people at the LEGO store will actually call you on the phone to confirm availability? (rather than you registering your interest online and receiving a triggered email when the product is logged in their inventory?)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-07-2017 12:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Uh, not every local shop has their own website with an online webshop that allows pre-ordering of products.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.