Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        LEGO Saturn V

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: LEGO Saturn V

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-07-2017 07:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LEGO is a global brand. you can order their stuff online from anywhere with internet access

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 10-07-2017 09:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You are correct seremtan, but the Lego Shop online doesn't keep the same stock as it's brick&mortar stores. Quite often you'll find sets that are in high demand will quickly sell out online , but can still be found in a local shop.
Lego stores aren't prolific enough for there to be a "check stock in your local store" type option like supermarkets have, there's only a handful of actual Lego stores in the UK.

This is also true for holiday promotional items (the whole "while stocks last" free gift thing with purchases over X amount)

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-07-2017 11:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-07-2017 01:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

vesp wrote:
You are correct seremtan, but the Lego Shop online doesn't keep the same stock as it's brick&mortar stores. Quite often you'll find sets that are in high demand will quickly sell out online , but can still be found in a local shop.
Lego stores aren't prolific enough for there to be a "check stock in your local store" type option like supermarkets have, there's only a handful of actual Lego stores in the UK.

This is also true for holiday promotional items (the whole "while stocks last" free gift thing with purchases over X amount)

The Lego store I called is the only one in the state, wait, checking Australia !!!

This appears to be a hard to find item and I am happy I got my hands on it :)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-07-2017 01:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/LEGO-10231-Space-Shuttle-City/dp/B004ZWKWQQ/

£450 :dts:

It looks like a retired set from 2011 so it would be rare :!:

http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/10231_Shuttle_Expedition

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-08-2017 01:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My brother actually has that set. Bought it when it was still in production. A new space shuttle set is being voted on at the Lego ideas site. It has reached 10,000 votes so will be reviewed by Lego.
The model is at the same scale as the Saturn V model.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/50a447c ... 739fed157c

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-08-2017 01:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Being at the same scale, it will be a winner (I hope :D )

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-15-2017 10:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I visited the 'certified Lego store' today and picked up my Saturn V :D

While I was there I spoke to the salespersone about the new Millennium Falcon that I have put my name down for (waiting list) and the staff member then went out back and bought one one he'd prepared earlier. He said he was paid to put it together for the shop and it took him 20 hours non stop and on a weekend!

He added only 500 came to Australia and just 50 for New Zealand. I am still peeved that as a Lego VIP Member I can't this buy model yet they were being sold in stores in the US in multiples. I've heard it said people were buying 2 and 3 at a time :disgust:

I really thought I'd like this monster but it is HUGE. Detailed like you've never seen before too and all for $1300 AUD. So I reconsider the purchase/investment. Watch this space.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-15-2017 11:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Enjoy!

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-15-2017 11:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't even opened the box yet, still I am so looking forward to the build of a new model :) this after I disassembled and boxed up the Porsche a couple of days ago in readiness :)

The best thing is with these is, you can un-box build and 'enjoy' for months then box away for another day :up:
That's how I manage my Lego Technic anyway :D

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 10-16-2017 11:18 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-16-2017 12:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh yeah that's how I do it as well.
I have a number of these modular buildings (the fire brigade, pet shop, palace cinema, parisian restaurant, detective's office and assembly square) and me and my girlfriend build them sometimes taking weeks to complete them. We just work on a set for an hour or so and then put it away again, only to continue building two weeks later.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 10-16-2017 12:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you're not bothered about the brand checkout Lepin stuff. A colleague of mine who is very much into Lego said the quality is very good - he spent ~£1500 building a genuine Lego millennium falcon! He eventually decided to sell it and then Lepin brought out a clone version for £200 or something.

https://lepin01.aliexpress.com/store/2337359

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-16-2017 08:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Colleague of mine buys Lepin as well. Problem I have with it is that they're literally stealing LEGO set designs, infringing on IP laws and are hurting the market this way.

Yes, LEGO is ridiculously expensive but at least they keep innovating with new, fancy designs. They support the community, not in the least through LEGO Ideas. Lepin are just leeching off of the success of LEGO and that's why I don't buy their Chinese knock off shit.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-16-2017 09:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

... and I won't either.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 10-17-2017 12:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To be fair to my colleague, he only buys the old decommissioned Lego stuff in Lepin. Things like custom sets or ones which are now ridiculously over priced.

He bought some new star wars lego thing that was released a few days ago for £800 :/

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-17-2017 08:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:
https://lepin01.aliexpress.com/store/2337359

wtf

how are they able to get away with that?

oh wait - china :|

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-17-2017 12:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reporting in: I am about halfway through the build and loving every minute. There are 12 bags of pieces which is handy as you build in stages (you understand the connection?). Each bag is taking abut 30 minutes and I have only made two easy correctable mistakes thus far.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

I usually do the Technic thing so it is nice to see some colour for a change and I remain surprised at the way this thing fits together. I mean how they have managed to connect some of the pieces to make it just work :)

EDIT: And it's done :D
A marvelous build experience so some final pics.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

All pics taken on a Smart phone :)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-24-2017 12:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:
To be fair to my colleague, he only buys the old decommissioned Lego stuff in Lepin. Things like custom sets or ones which are now ridiculously over priced.

He bought some new star wars lego thing that was released a few days ago for £800 :/

The 'thing' was probably the new Millennium Falcon for that money. I still can't buy one :tear: I mean to say, I would have bought/ordered one immediately but now I have had time to think about it and have seen one for real where I picked up my Saturn V, I am really thinking if I will bother....

Australian link but it may appear differently when you view from overseas.. https://shop.lego.com/en-AU/Millennium-Falcon-75192

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.