Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        hey whskey 7

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: hey whskey 7

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-24-2017 06:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

good times ahead for us, the JWST is finally built

can't wait for new images

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-24-2017 01:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey SoM :)
Thanks for the topic. I will watch video later but yes, great news on the space telescope front. Hubble is how old?

From Wiki :eek:
Mission duration Elapsed: 27 years, 2 months, 25 days

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Space_Telescope

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 07-24-2017 01:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This excites me also. It's amazing what we've learned all because of the Hubble.

Lately I've been watching a ton of World Science Festival videos on youtube. You guys should check em out if you haven't seen them...

https://www.youtube.com/user/worldsciencefestival

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-24-2017 02:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice find

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-24-2017 03:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just hope it doesn't explode on the launch pad.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-24-2017 03:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*slaps Transient with a dead trout*

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-24-2017 08:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey SoM. Yes watched the video. Thank you :up:

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
This excites me also. It's amazing what we've learned all because of the Hubble.

Lately I've been watching a ton of World Science Festival videos on youtube. You guys should check em out if you haven't seen them...

https://www.youtube.com/user/worldsciencefestival

World Science Festival :smirk: Kicks self... I had the opportunity to attend recently and declined, silly me.. Now watching on youtube.

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 07-25-2017 08:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Will check out video, thanks :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-25-2017 05:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
I just hope it doesn't explode on the launch pad.

TBH the Lagrange insertion and unfolding all the mirrors and shields and shit will be WAY more nerve-wracking than the launch. If a single fucking solenoid fails, the entire god damn thing is a heap of useless shit 100 million miles in space.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-25-2017 06:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, they fixed an out-of-focus Hubble lens way out in space, they can fix a solenoid.

But yeah, I get what you're saying. Not many rockets explode on the launch pad these days, and we launch lots more than we used to. SpaceX experiments aside. ;)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 07-25-2017 06:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hubble orbits Earth. JWT orbits the Sun. If it fails we are fucked. End of story.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-25-2017 07:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:
Hubble orbits Earth. JWT orbits the Sun. If it fails we are fucked. End of story.

For those that :?:

Quote:
The James Webb Space Telescope will not be in orbit around the Earth, like the Hubble Space Telescope is - it will actually orbit the Sun, 1.5 million kilometers (1 million miles) away from the Earth at what is called the second Lagrange point or L2. What is special about this orbit is that it lets the telescope to stay in line with the Earth as it moves around the Sun. This allows the satellite's large sunshield to protect the telescope from the light and heat of the Sun and Earth (and Moon).

https://jwst.nasa.gov/orbit.html

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-25-2017 08:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:

I forgot about that. :ninja:

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 12-21-2021 04:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

going up in a few days

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 12-21-2021 05:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I remember hearing about this thing when I was in high school. There are still so many things that can go wrong, it actually makes me a little anxious.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-21-2021 06:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep. Excited and nervous…

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-21-2021 08:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:up: HM-PuFFNSTuFF

Fingers crossed, all goes well.

NASA page

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 12-21-2021 10:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 12-22-2021 09:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://www.engadget.com/nasa-delays-ja ... 56161.html

Delayed by a day. Just 3 more to go!

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-22-2021 12:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-22-2021 12:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What? ".... its month-long journey towards its destination ... "

I didn't realize it was that far out there :smirk: Still I'm very interested :D

Image source

Just watched this "The Insane Engineering of James Webb Telescope" and also found very interesting.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 12-22-2021 05:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

one more for ya from Anton

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-24-2021 11:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scheduled launch of the James Webb Space Telescope is 10pm local (eastern Australia), Christmas Day and I plan to see the live-stream, fingers crossed.

EDIT: Next morning here and I check the news: A successful launch it appears :up:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.