Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Unfortunately, you are the smartest people I know

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Unfortunately, you are the smartest people I know

The World is Yours...
The World is Yours...
PostPosted: 08-18-2017 12:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey fellas, been awhile. Having some major phone issues, and you all are usually much more tech savvy than I. So please help!

I have an LG G3 that decided to start looping BSODs this morning. Stupid, but I didn't know phones did that. Anyway, I was looking online to see if there was anything I could do. I saw on multiple places that I could take the phone apart, take my motherboard out, heat it up for about 10 minutes, and then put it back in my phone without the SIM card to see if it started up. Well it worked! So here I am, all excited to make sure the important stuff is backed up, and there is NOTHING on my phone from the past year. Pictures, contacts, etc. Apps, yes. Which I am finding odd.

My friend is having me work with a program called Diskdigger, but it's not seeming to work. Am I completely fucked here, or does anyone have an idea? I called Verizon and they were as helpful as a hole in the head ( :owned: surprise) and I assume going to the store will yield the same result.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-18-2017 01:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck off

The World is Yours...
The World is Yours...
PostPosted: 08-18-2017 01:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I guess that's one way to get a high post count, fag.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-18-2017 01:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you didn't have the smarts to use cloud storage from day one and there's nothing showing on the memory, you're fucked.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-18-2017 01:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
If you didn't have the smarts to use cloud storage from day one and there's nothing showing on the memory, you're fucked.

Yep. Surely you had a google account set up.
Login to https://photos.google.com and see what comes up.

Also, lol

The World is Yours...
The World is Yours...
PostPosted: 08-18-2017 01:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Doombrain wrote:

Yep. Surely you had a google account set up.
Login to https://photos.google.com and see what comes up.

Also, lol

I was always signed into Google, but there is nothing in the photos. As for the cloud, it was full apparently but I was never aware of that or else I would have remedied it. Thanks though MKJ.

Memphis wrote:
try a different data recovery thingy mebbe?

https://www.easeus.com/android-data-rec ... lg-g3.html

Working with that program right now, actually. Can you direct me to a good root program by chance? I had a couple of people recommend STUMP but it no longer exists I guess.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-18-2017 01:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just had a new iPhone for work. Entered my details and all my stuff pops up. You're welcome.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-18-2017 01:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

G'day vileliquid1026 :)

There are professional businesses out there that do or can do data recovery at some s=cost that might be able to help you here. A quick search and this business says

We can recover your data from any storage regardless the way it was lost.

It says any storage :!:

I have to ask the question, was the phone dropped, damage or submersed in any way?

The World is Yours...
The World is Yours...
PostPosted: 08-18-2017 01:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Glad all your weenie pictures were saved.

The World is Yours...
The World is Yours...
PostPosted: 08-18-2017 01:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
G'day vileliquid1026 :)

There are professional businesses out there that do or can do data recovery at some s=cost that might be able to help you here. A quick search and this business says

We can recover your data from any storage regardless the way it was lost.

It says any storage :!:

I have to ask the question, was the phone dropped, damage or submersed in any way?

Hey Whiskey! Nice to see your name still around.

No, nothing happened to my phone. Just getting old maybe?

A friend told me to use that service as a last resort but he said it was quite expensive. Looking into other options first... but thank you for the suggestion.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 08-18-2017 02:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi vileliquid. I was wondering, have you tried fixing the problem?

The World is Yours...
The World is Yours...
PostPosted: 08-18-2017 02:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can someone please give me a hand with rooting my phone. All of the programs will not work. I have an LG G3 and Android 6.0. I know you're heartless assholes but I'm really out of options.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 08-18-2017 02:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have an iPhone. I hope that helps.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-18-2017 07:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Last time I rooted my phone I used something called Odin, replaced the stock OS on my phone with the a lite version. It's been a while though but I just followed tuts on Google.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-18-2017 09:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
I have an iPhone. I hope that helps.

Ah, I have a OnePlus 3 phone and have not had this issue.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-18-2017 09:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

vileliquid1026 wrote:
.... Hey Whiskey! Nice to see your name still around......

Nice to see your name pop up too :)
Sadly I know nothing about 'rooting' phones.

Rooting 'down under' is a term for sex :olo:

Google rooting result

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-18-2017 10:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Glad you Finally sorted it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-18-2017 10:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Last time I rooted my phone I used something called Odin, replaced the stock OS on my phone with the a lite version. It's been a while though but I just followed tuts on Google.

Odin is specifically for Samsung phones

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-18-2017 10:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you have an SD card in the phone, take it out and read it's contents on a PC with an SD card reader. If you were smart, you stored photos on the SD card. Maybe they're still there.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-19-2017 12:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if she were smart she wouldnt have fucking microwaved her motherboard

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-19-2017 01:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

phones :olo:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-19-2017 05:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, if you're actively trying to recover data, yet at the same time trying to root/restore/install shit on the phone, you're all the less likely to be able to retrieve data. It's not like there's special memory for your software apart from your data, it's all on the same flash memory.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-19-2017 10:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
losCHUNK wrote:

Odin is specifically for Samsung phones

Figured, but they wanted help and is all I could do. Rooting tends to be device specific, so if none of us has a G3 then sorry bro and recovering wiped files is always hit or miss, mostly miss esp if you're rewriting files like Obs said.

Was heating the phone up a last resort ?, what did you attempt before doing that ?

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 08-19-2017 11:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you microwave it instead of using the oven? No shit the data is gone if you did that.

The World is Yours...
The World is Yours...
PostPosted: 08-21-2017 06:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The heating up aspect fixes a known solder issue with LG and it was only done to make the phone boot properly. And it worked.

Android automatically updated to the newest version and that is what has caused my issue. Also causing the problem of not being able to root.

I was just hoping to save the pictures from when we first bought the house and the puppy we got, other than that the phone was being replaced anyway. Chalking this up as a shitty lesson learned.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-21-2017 08:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the hard way is a great way to learn

it's the reason LawL now knows not to grope women's breasts without their consent

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-21-2017 10:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how did that pan out anyway? is detective codumbo still on the case?..

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-21-2017 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no i think Hercule Poorot has dropped the ball on that one

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 08-31-2017 01:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Heating up a motherboard? wtf is that for troubleshooting solution?

(iphone user here)

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 08-31-2017 01:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

vileliquid1026 wrote:
The heating up aspect fixes a known solder issue with LG and it was only done to make the phone boot properly. And it worked.

Android automatically updated to the newest version and that is what has caused my issue. Also causing the problem of not being able to root.

I was just hoping to save the pictures from when we first bought the house and the puppy we got, other than that the phone was being replaced anyway. Chalking this up as a shitty lesson learned.

Google automatically backs up your photos to http://photos.google.com I believe.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 08-31-2017 02:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

saturn wrote:
Heating up a motherboard? wtf is that for troubleshooting solution?

(iphone user here)

It reminded me of the old freezer trick with mechanical hard drives, also wrap your RROD xbox in a blanket and let it get boiling hot to resit the solders.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 09-01-2017 01:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

About 15 years ago we managed to rescue a friend's graphics card twice by baking it in the oven :D.

One of my colleagues built his own reflow oven with a portable electric oven (it's the same size as a microwave). He built a a microcontroller and the relevant software to control the heat so it bakes the components perfectly. We've used this for several production circuit boards that we sell. Commercial reflow ovens are £££ :o

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-01-2017 04:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Baking old audio tapes isn't uncommon when remastering them.

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 09-01-2017 02:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

vileliquid1026 wrote:

No shit, the point was you used a microwave, and basically bombarded your phones flash media with EM radiation and microwaves. The whole point is to use an oven, so you don't destroy the data.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 09-02-2017 11:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bacon wrote:
vileliquid1026 wrote:

No shit, the point was you used a microwave, and basically bombarded your phones flash media with EM radiation and microwaves. The whole point is to use an oven, so you don't destroy the data.

she never said she used a microwave

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.