Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Fuck Equifax

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Fuck Equifax

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-15-2017 05:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First we learn that half of all Americans have had their personal info hacked. Then we find out that if you use Equifax's site to check and see if you're affected, you waive your right to join a class action lawsuit against them fur fucking up in the first place. They oh-so-generously walk that back and also waive their $10 fee for freezing your credit. But it's not enough to stop Elizabeth Warren from crawling up their asses and setting up camp. The FTC's even taking a peek. This all makes me remember just how shitty the SSN system is in the first place. :disgust:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-16-2017 02:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Close but your stretching facts here. The class action waiver is only for this nee trust id crap they're peddling. The data breach is a separate thing and still subject to lawsuit. Still shitty of them to plug that in there in the event their new system is also hacked though.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-16-2017 02:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oh my god that's retarded :olo:

diffuse or distributed methods of ID-checking are always going to be more robust (especially in a digital age) than a single method

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 09-16-2017 02:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The best failure they made was having the username/password of an admin account to be admin/admin :dork:

My only experience with Equifax was when I tried to a another bank account and got rejected because of a poor credit score, which I couldn't understand. They recommended I sign up for a free Equifax trial to figure out what had gone on and when I eventually got the account set-up I was told my credit score was 999, which is the maximum possible score. They then agreed to open the account. Thanks, Santander :tard:.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-16-2017 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Close but your stretching facts here. The class action waiver is only for this nee trust id crap they're peddling.

That was their excuse when people started reporting on the waiver.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-16-2017 12:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure a company can never prevent you from making use of the legal system here in The Netherlands (perhaps even all of the EU). It's considered to be a fundamental right for citizens.
It's kind of typical how American corporate power is more important than the law. It baffles me that it's possible to waive your rights like that through a (probably unreadable due to the amount of legal gibberish) ToS.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-16-2017 12:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's been that way for a looooong time in the States. :(

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-16-2017 02:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Meh. Basically everyone's information has been compromised at some point. We're all a bunch of numbers. Not really a big deal anymore. If you're concerned about it, use a security service like LifeLock and move on with your life...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.