Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Musk codenamed his new rocket idea "BFR"

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Musk codenamed his new rocket idea "BFR"

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-28-2017 08:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/29/spacex-mars-bfr/

Edit: So Musk is already partway into developing a reusable rocket that can get to any planet in the solar system, and land 150 tons on Mars. It can even get to the moon and back to Earth without needing to refuel in orbit or on the moon itself. He plans to send 2 cargo BFRs to Mars in 2022 and then 2 more cargo BFRs and two 40-passenger crew BFRs to Mars in 2024, for a total of 80 people and 6 giant fucking rockets sitting on Mars in 7 years.

It will be funded partially by using BFRs to launch giant satellites into orbit and supply the ISS (it's so big it looks like a 2nd space station when docked to it). Musk said that he can actually use the BFRs to transport passengers anywhere on Earth in about half an hour, so there's another potential way to fund a mission to Mars.

Last edited by Transient on 09-29-2017 01:35 PM, edited 3 times in total.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-28-2017 08:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks.. Watching...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-28-2017 09:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BFR = 150 tons (or is that tonnes) to Earth orbit :eek:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-28-2017 10:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow :eek:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 04:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So fucking cool...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 05:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

again, all the best to SpaceX, but i seriously doubt they can land 300 tons of anything on Mars in 5 years using a rocket that's still in the design stage, as much as i'd like to believe otherwise

on a related note, the deployment of the JWST has been put back another year :(

space is hard work, guys

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 05:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

even if they could, i doubt the humans would cope with a one way ticket.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 05:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:

Damn, I hadn’t heard that... :down:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 06:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:

They want to get the mirrors really really right this time?

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 08:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:

space is hard work, guys

:(

Sucks ass

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 09:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
even if they could, i doubt the humans would cope with a one way ticket.

It's not one way.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 09:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

for them it is. there's no way they can take enough to bring them back, no way.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
seremtan wrote:

Damn, I hadn’t heard that... :down:

https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/29/jam ... 19-launch/

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 01:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:

600 tons of supplies and refueling capabilities, but you don't think they can get back?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 01:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lockheed Martin is getting in on the action, too:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 02:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BFD...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 03:03 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Doombrain wrote:

600 tons of supplies and refueling capabilities, but you don't think they can get back?

The whole idea of the BFRs is the reusability. They’ll be able to come back. Maybe not right away. But once they ship enough fuel, no problem...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 03:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They can make the fuel on Mars.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 08:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Lockheed Martin is getting in on the action, too:

A really good presentation.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 10:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didn't think so. They want to put people on Mars, but they can't spring for some decent videography or professional actors.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 11:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I took it as general information and a dirt cheap production. Of course they will do better and present a professional version I am sure.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 11:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Doombrain wrote:

We could've done it after landing on the moon but the same problem applies then as it does today in that it will cost buckets of money with very little return.

You need to factor in the vehicle n all and the amount of supplies it'll need just for the journey. I mean the Lunar module alone cost 20+ billion when adjusted for inflation and the total value of SpaceX is valued at 12.

Best of luck to them, but all this making your own fuel on Mars, having regular shipments n stuff sounds as pie in the sky as moon bases did during the cold war era.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 11:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jesus trans you’re talking about 1000s of years from now. Just getting man to mars is going to be a huge achievement never mind opening a refinery and mine to process fuel. Just think about everything that’s needed to maintain logistics, forget the fuel plant, just moving raw materials is going to take heavy lifting kit.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-29-2017 11:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

anyway, the plasma engine is for more exciting than Elon Christ.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-30-2017 12:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The idea of a private space company launching reusable rockets was pie in the sky thinking not too long ago. C'mon guys, smoke a joint and embrace the future!

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-30-2017 12:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I do, don't get me wrong, but it's also a popularity contest and making bold claims is more about getting investors rather than actually doing what they say.

Check out the NASAs plasma engine and forget about going to mars.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-30-2017 12:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Imagine if Musk strapped a few of those to his BFRs. :up:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-30-2017 01:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's nice to have some positive shit going on in the world

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-30-2017 02:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah but...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_propulsion_engine

Quote:
For some plasma thruster technologies, such as Berkant Goskel's tiny plasma thruster, one of the largest problems is generating enough electricity to turn gases into plasma. This same problem plagues Diaz's VASIMR thruster. Diaz's device would need so much electricity, that any vehicle that uses a VASIMR engine would also need several nuclear reactors in order to generate enough power. Not only would the reactors add mass to the payload, this has caused concern by some who fear the possible fallout caused by an explosion of the reactor. Because of this possibility, NASA has previously stopped research in nuclear reactors that could be sent up into space.

Another common issue plasma rockets have run into is the possibility of the rocket breaking itself. Over time, the plasma these rockets produce will damage the walls of the device ultimately causing it to break. This means that on a mission to Mars, it is possible that the rocket will destroy itself.

not out of the woods yet

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 09-30-2017 07:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
The idea of a private space company launching reusable rockets was pie in the sky thinking not too long ago. C'mon guys, smoke a joint and embrace the future!

Don't get me wrong I'd love to be proven wrong and private space travel has been attempted for quite some time now with SpaceX exceeding expectations including mine - in the way that he made private space travel a sustainable business. To me SpaceX are the only reputable private space business whilst everyone else is pretty much an imposter, they seem to be the exception rather than the norm and even then they had to rely heavily on government contracts and grants.

They've had a lot of difficiulty just reaching LEO though without failure and it took them the better part of 10 years to reach that point ?, space is hard yo :). His plans for Mars are incredibly ambitious and like DB said, as a private business these bold claims sound more like a marketing tool, even if only to garner investments to fund this ambition. NASA when reaching the moon had some of the greatest minds, an unlimited pot of money and a relaxed view on health and safety, fast forward a few more decades then placing a habitat in LEO took a worldwide effort over 10 years with the logisitics already in place (the shuttle program) with design starting in the 80s. Then what happens when something breaks ?, when inflation adjusted it cost Hubble nearly 12bn to get new glasses.

The R+D alone I'd be willing to bet would cost way more than the total value of the company, then the sheer logisitics behind it to run regular supplies to Mars n stuff without failure is gonna take decades in the planning and testing imo (for things like refineries, autonomous rovers, habitats, food, the rocket systems required for space docking / Mars landing n stuff).

I'd love to be proven wrong and have Musk exceed expectations but when it comes to Mars, I really can't see it.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-30-2017 03:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Off topic a little but added for your interest ;)

Quote:
Tesla boss Elon Musk has held a party in South Australia's mid-north to mark the
halfway point of construction of the world's most powerful lithium ion battery.

A grid connection agreement for the 100-megawatt battery array was signed by
transmission company Electranet on Friday afternoon, sparking the start of a 100-
day deadline for Tesla to complete construction of the battery or build it for free.

Source
Another source

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-01-2017 11:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:

space is hard work, guys

fuck a duck :disgust:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.