Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        UK Banks give free virus software to customer...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: UK Banks give free virus software to customer...

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-06-2017 04:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

...and my bank gives Kaspersky Internet Security on a 365 day licence for free which covers my laptop and phone. It's good software, imagine my delight when the British Government issues the below.

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/blog-post/manag ... d-products

This popped up today:

Important Announcement

Quote:
The UK Government has been advised by the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC) to cease using Russian anti-virus products for systems with a national security purpose.

Following this guidance, Barclays took the precautionary decision to no longer offer Kaspersky Lab software to new users or renewing users.

We are disappointed Barclays has decided to discontinue offering Kaspersky Lab anti-virus.

It’s very important to note that the NCSC is not encouraging consumers or businesses against using Kaspersky Lab software:

"...we see no compelling case at present to extend that advice to wider public sector, more general enterprises, or individuals... We really don’t want people doing things like ripping out Kaspersky software at large, as it makes little sense."

Now the banks are withdrawing the free licence and replacing it... Thanks Trump.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 12-06-2017 07:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:rolleyes:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-06-2017 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

>russian
>secure

pick one :|

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-06-2017 09:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Umm this isn't new. I've known about this since roughly November of last year. Given Russias tactics and the fact that the KGB basically sponsored Eugene Kapersky, the founder, it's not much of a stretch to think there could be something afoot here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Kaspersky

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-06-2017 11:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's only just broke over here, like there's anything on my laptop Vladimir wants. Banned from the winter Olympics too. Full on cold war.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 12-06-2017 11:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I was using that offer too. Annoying to say the least. I don't actually use Barclays but I happened to have an account with them with £10 or so in but still qualified.

You can still get a free version of Kaspersky. Though I was more interested in the firewall rather than the antivirus.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-06-2017 12:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Going to wait to see what comes from them next.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-06-2017 12:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The idea of using anti-spyware/virus to actually spy :paranoid: and that news, Russia has been banned from the winter Olympic games :eek: Interesting times ahead..

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.