Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Quake 2 VR? Whose playing this?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake 2 VR? Whose playing this?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-22-2017 05:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wanna play this multiplayer

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-22-2017 09:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any further details Ganemi?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-23-2017 10:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The instructions for getting it to run are here:

I would never get killed playing Quake 2 SP normally, but I got killed numerous times, not because it was hard to hit anything, but because VR simply naturally increased the difficulty.

Everything looks very realistic, even though I'm simply using HD textures. I've played through HL2vr completely, so I wasn't quite anticipating that anything Q2 would look this good. I can only imagine what it would look like with the real time path tracing mod mixed in, and someone should get on that, since the source for both of these mods are on github.

Strafe jumping at full speed doesn't make me nauseous. I felt fine after falling off that tram in the secret level.

The scale of everything is perfect. Feels like you're in the room. A lot of things you didn't realize were intended to be 20 feet tall will be towering over you.

A lot of traps that didn't work in vanilla Q2 work in this mod, like when you walk into a room where enemies pop out, and gun you down, there's little time to react, even though you're checking corners. You can probably see this happen to me at least twice in the videos.

Unlike the Q3 mod I've been building, you can't use ironsights, so you have to use either crosshair or the vr laser like Doom3 vr had. Modfying the models and code so you could do that should be simple enough for anyone to do, really. It also has freeaim implemented, which you need to set in the Virtual Reality menu so that you can look around with your head, and freeaim with your mouse, but only aim the weapon with your mouse.

It's just a tech demo, but it pretty much proves how fast paced VR games can be very well done. Makes me want to do something Quake 1ish in Unity, like, next week. If anyone wants to get on that, hit me up.

That's about it. This wasn't coherent at all, but my takeaway is that VR can be huge in the future. It just needs to be more affordable. I invested hundreds of hours in the Q3VR Mod wondering how great would it be to get a vr-like game without a headset, before realizing I owned a DK1. You really could get a hyper-realistic looking, Quake 1 speed game in VR without barfing on yourself, and to me that's insane.

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 10-23-2017 11:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched a couple of minutes of that video with Google cardboard.

Sickly :o

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-28-2017 12:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nope. No barf! You probably felt that way because you weren't the one controlling it, or predicting the movements. I know that if the screen freezes during play and you're still turning your head that can make you nauseous.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-28-2017 04:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Y’all see Fallout 4 (full game) is coming out on the HTC Vive? That would be badass...

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-02-2017 12:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Y’all see Fallout 4 (full game) is coming out on the HTC Vive? That would be badass...

Yeah, Waiting for release, got my key. ^_^

Actually waited to play fallout 4 specifically for VR. Started the regular one on a steamshare, played maybe an hour, heard about the VR coming and said fuck it.

PhoeniX wrote:

Phone VR is trash tier VR. Its low framerate and shitty resolution will do that to you. Did the same thing, then actually picked up real VR and its not the same thing at all lol.

Ganemi wrote:
Nope. No barf! You probably felt that way because you weren't the one controlling it, or predicting the movements. I know that if the screen freezes during play and you're still turning your head that can make you nauseous.

Any reason you arent just recording right eye, without the retarded fisheye? You know, Using OBS with the openvr plugin like a sensible VR streamer/youtuber?

VR is rad.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 11-02-2017 04:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hello soapboy

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-02-2017 04:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
xer0s wrote:

Actually waited to play fallout 4 specifically for VR. Started the regular one on a steamshare, played maybe an hour, heard about the VR coming and said fuck it.

When’s the release?

Let me know how it is. I might buy a Vive just for that...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-03-2017 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:

Phone VR is trash tier VR. Its low framerate and shitty resolution will do that to you. Did the same thing, then actually picked up real VR and its not the same thing at all lol.

Any reason you arent just recording right eye, without the retarded fisheye? You know, Using OBS with the openvr plugin like a sensible VR streamer/youtuber?

VR is rad.

In my experience phone VR is functional and works as anticipated. There's a reason it costs 20-40 dollars and not 600. I'm just saying, as someone that played through HL2 with the Razer Hydra and the Dev Kit 1, having to stop intermittently to not throw up, and someone that's bunny hopping around Quake 2, and honestly getting the feeling of being IN the room spatially without any nausea, phone VR works, too.

I'm recording the fisheye thing because I'm just dumping raw info from the screen. Didn't know about any plugins, and I probably wouldn't use them either, since I'd think the expectation is that someone with a headset could watch it and get the same experience.

VR is rad, that's why I've been trying to dedicate time to it for a while.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-03-2017 02:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You can watch a VR video and it will be like you're the one playing the game or whatever. The IPD won't be right, but it'll be close enough most of the time.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-03-2017 08:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
xer0s wrote:

PhoeniX wrote:

I've had it mixed. Strange thing is I can do like a 3 hr session with no issue, take a break, come back and do 5 mins before turning green for a few hours, I mean feeling like proper shit to the point I don't wanna move from the sofa.

With FPS mostly too, racing games n stuff I'm fine with.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-07-2017 11:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
I've had it mixed. Strange thing is I can do like a 3 hr session with no issue, take a break, come back and do 5 mins before turning green for a few hours, I mean feeling like proper shit to the point I don't wanna move from the sofa.

With FPS mostly too, racing games n stuff I'm fine with.

Any specific games? Could be settings causing frame problems. Things like BAM has some settings you'd want off on rift, or onward has others. Anything causing unity to say under its expected framerate really.

I know Onward/BAM can get me wonky if frame rates start to suffer for sure. Sairento VR oddly I've never had an issue with and its got pretty crazy ass locomotion. Seems like Unity or whatever games mostly?

xer0s wrote:

When’s the release?

Let me know how it is. I might buy a Vive just for that...

Dec 12th. So a while sadly.

IMO Rifts a better deal (Currently). Touch controls > Vive wands for tons of reasons. Tracking is damn near the same with the 3rd camera (I ran 2 for a while in a 9x9 playspace with very few problems, extreme corners, prone in onward). And if your battery dies, you can swap it. Plus they are just better controllers.

Vives got upsides, But @ 399 its really hard to beat the Rift. Its just a better consumer product to be honest. Struggled really hard between the 2 and I'm super happy I went rift. You wont be let down with either though really. Both have pros and cons.

shaft wrote:
hello soapboy

Sup man. Long time. :)

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 11-08-2017 02:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:

I got to play with an HTC Vive at work yesterday, it's definitely a million times better.

Tilt brush is awesome. For those who don't know what it is, you can literally draw in 3D exactly like this video shows and it's just as vivid:

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 11-08-2017 04:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd like to have a go with some of those VR packages. I've seen some people design some really cool mechs in it.

video:

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 11-08-2017 04:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That looks like it would make visualising your 3D models so much easier with less need to go off and produce scale models etc.

One of my colleagues does lots of design work in Solidworks, I think he's eagerly awaiting a full version of that.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 11-08-2017 04:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah exactly. It would help show things in a tactile way before the effort and expenditure of physically making it. Exciting times :up:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-08-2017 12:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd like to use that if I can sculpt like in Zbrush. That'd be fun.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-08-2017 11:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:

I got to play with an HTC Vive at work yesterday, it's definitely a million times better.

Yep and if you have the space and computer for it, its totally fuckin worth it.

Black fridays coming. Rift from bestbuy 349.99 1080s are under 500.

You know what to do.

VR has pretty much ruined me for most gaming. I get super bored unless its VR now. Reloading guns and stuff in things like BAM or Onward, are so satisfying. Theres no bullshit "quick reload" clip or something. You do it faster than the other dude, or you die. Its great.

Sairento is Siiiiick fun. :)

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 11-09-2017 03:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Only way to play Quake 2 VR

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-09-2017 06:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

really pissed that my brain can't handle VR.

Got a Rift from amazon bout 6 months ago, tried it out and although a bit far from where I'd want it to be in the resolution and FOV departments, it was still amazing. But anything nearing FPS level movement made me want to barf within minutes.

So returned it and never looked back.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-09-2017 12:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, how much room will I need for VR? I really have no idea what to expect or what all I’ll need. Don’t you have to setup tripods with sensors and all that shit? Any good beginner tutorials out there?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-09-2017 04:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
So, how much room will I need for VR? I really have no idea what to expect or what all I’ll need. Don’t you have to setup tripods with sensors and all that shit? Any good beginner tutorials out there?

I have my sensors on the wall mounted with

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSWFY7Y

My office, is now empty, minus my desk and side table next to my desk, which gives me a "SAFE" 9x9 play space (its like 10x12 or some shit otherwise).

Id recommend NO LESS than the ability to take a full step in every direction. Even front facing games in front face mode, support spinning around and shooting behind you and shit. Plus, if you get into it, you'll be swinging arms around and what not. But the more space you have, the better. Even in a semi large place space I hit walls, etc so keep that in mind. Its far less often than when you first start playing but you'll still smash a controller into a door/wall at some point. Mine are have plenty of war wounds from the first weeks having it. Chips, dings, paint that wont come off. MMMhhmmmm

If you're getting a RIFT

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/wiki/extension_cables

Thats your holy bible for cable extensions.

I also went the extra mile and put my cables on my ceiling. Fuck having a cord to step over all the time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0733NN7G8

+ Regular J hooks.

Note about mounting the wires like this. There are games like echo arena, you could potentially yank that shit down. So expect possibly (echo arena being the only one so far I can think of) have to unhook it or whatever for that game. Thankfully its just easy clips so whatever.

Lets not even get started about USB cards and shit. Tip, You're going to spend a minimum of 40 bucks on a USB card, and should spend the 80 for the good one. I'm getting away with a cheapo fresco card that USED to be highly suggested. These days its hot garbage and I cant run the official drivers without camera dropouts and all kinds of bullshit.

VR right now, Isnt a small deal. You really have to be able to dedicate some space, and some money to it.

It CAN be very plug and play. Rift out of the box with 2 cameras is pretty simple to setup. Its when you get 3 cameras and full roomscale going it gets a bit weird. I ran 2 cameras for a while and it was fine in my 9x9 play space. I only ended up getting the third camera for corners and when I was prone, theres places in my office the cameras didnt see me or my controllers, so i threw the 60 bucks at a third sensor.

Its fuckin fun though!

Be happy to answer anything else I can. Only a hundred or so hours in total but I'll do my best.

End of ramble :)

Tsakali wrote:
really pissed that my brain can't handle VR.

Got a Rift from amazon bout 6 months ago, tried it out and although a bit far from where I'd want it to be in the resolution and FOV departments, it was still amazing. But anything nearing FPS level movement made me want to barf within minutes.

So returned it and never looked back.

How was your hardware and stuff? Any real framerate issues, you'll have problems. I mean, Rifts the "Best" with that with ASW and shit but I got real sick when I was running a 960 to start. Robo Recall, and a couple other Rift only games were fine, but as soon as steamVR came into play it was a joke. Onward made me sick, Hell even star trek made me sick. Framerates a motherfucker with VR. I don't suggest even bothering with anything less than a 1070 unless you have the money and plan on upgrading anyways. I'm glad I went 1080. I kinda wish I'd of went Ti, but whatever.

Super CPU heavy too, VR is no joke. Heh.

Then you get into supersampling because "Hey I wanna snipe mother fuckers in Onward/BAM".

Again, Tons of fun. Just, Tinkery.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-09-2017 07:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
SOAPboy

Wow! Lots of great info, thanks for that.

There’s a shit ton more to this than I expected. But I’m up for it. First thing I need is a dedicated space. Looks like I’ll have to incorporate this into the house build...

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-09-2017 09:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Quote:
SOAPboy

Wow! Lots of great info, thanks for that.

There’s a shit ton more to this than I expected. But I’m up for it. First thing I need is a dedicated space. Looks like I’ll have to incorporate this into the house build...

You're super welcome. Happy to give what I can back to the VR community right now. Its super small so everyone kinda knows everyone (regular players in MP games anyways). So anything to get new people in the door at this point.

If you're like me and getting bored with games, this gave me that woosh I needed to get back into having fun (also a side effect is im enjoying flat screen gaming more again too :)). VR is a riot. Its not cheap, It has issues, You'll troubleshoot shit, and if you stream/capture, enjoy the bucket of shit that goes along with streaming VR. But its really brought life back to gaming for me.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-09-2017 10:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Top marks to SOAPboy.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-10-2017 07:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Top marks!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.