Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        VR Megathread (We steal content up in here)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: VR Megathread (We steal content up in here)

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 12-01-2017 01:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The court cases are still on-going, to the extent that Bethesda are trying to stop Oculus actually being able to sell the Rift.
I wouldn't be surprised if, at least internally, someone at Bethesda has uttered the words "21 years ago, Bethesda made Quake".

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 12-01-2017 02:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
The court cases are still on-going, to the extent that Bethesda are trying to stop Oculus actually being able to sell the Rift.
I wouldn't be surprised if, at least internally, someone at Bethesda has uttered the words "21 years ago, Bethesda made Quake".

Wernt they found not guilty but had to paid like 500 mil for some other shit.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-02-2017 12:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
Doombrain wrote:
I spoke to a professor of VR and she said Gear VR is the best.

Bad troll is bad. :olo:

Sorry you need more PUBG friends :(

You'd not enjoy playing with me.

Well, you went for the first one so I ramped up the second.

My free Gear VR with a controller is on its way, I'm excited about it as the kids will love it, but yeah it's not a patch on Hive.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 12-02-2017 11:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:

Well, you went for the first one so I ramped up the second.

No idea what you're talking about. If your posts were serious then :olo: Even more?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-03-2017 06:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
Movement is VR's big failure. There's little to no satisfaction for simply aiming and headshotting enemies, least not without using gyro aiming and even then it becomes laughably easy with practice. Kinda why I love the bow in TR games, as carefully aiming with analogue sticks feels somewhat realistically skill-based, compared to just pointing and clicking. Still, most of my satisfaction from games is from movement, dodging, hiding, maximizing use of terrain and outplaying an enemy. Just teleporting from A - B as if Dishonoured's Blink-copy was the only source of mobility, prior to just aiming and shooting as per the norm, just sounds too janky wanky to me to be much fun, once the visual illusion of immersion wears off, you're just kinda playing simplistic flash-stylee bollocks :|

I agree. That's why I really like the Quake 2 VR mod, and want some free time to be able to improve it. It feels like you're in the room and you can go as fast as in normal Quake without any real problems. At least on the CV1 I'm using, I've gotten nowhere near nausea, and I had to start and stop HL2 (with the DK1 and Hydra) when I played through HL2VR years ago.

On the CV1, I haven't had a single issue bunny hopping everywhere and trick jumping. Can't wait to actually get it freaking working in Q3A with CPM physics and some defrag maps. :\

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 12-09-2017 05:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LOL

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 12-11-2017 09:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fallout 4 VR

On Rift.

Menu controls are broken. Unusable broken. Going to need a fix/update or community mod (Most likely).

Graphics. Seem super low res. I'm running 2.0 super sample and it looks really bad. For a AAA title, its kinda shocking.

Inventory management is entirely broken due to Menu controls being designed by a child apparently.

Its very very clearly a port. So much in fact, you can copy your non VR DLC over, enable mods, and ta-da, you have all your DLC in vr now too. I'm not sure what took them so fucking long to put this out honestly. Looks like less work was done on this than payday 2 VR.

Now if they address the issues rift owners have, and the general bad choices in controls in the first place, it'll be worth 30ish bucks. But at 60? Even as a vive owner, i'd be refunding this shit. No way at 60 dollars.

Rumor has it all the Controller Issues can be "Fixed" by hooking up your xbone controller to use your pipboy and the menus. So they managed to leave analog controller support, but fucked up rifts so bad it wont work? Da fuck? I'm so glad I generally dislike this devs games. They really are petty babies.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 12-12-2017 02:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As I said Soap, Bethesda have no interest in making sure their games work on Oculus hardware.

I suspect the only reason we're seeing a flurry of VR titles from them is purely for legal reasons.
One of their arguments in court while attempting to sue Oculus was that Oculus stole VR technology Bethesda had been developing. This was bullshit, so they're trying to push out quick ports to "prove" that they actually were developing VR stuff.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-12-2017 02:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wasnt that the same court case in which they had computer experts testify that Carmack stole code by showing basic for loops and such?
lol

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 12-12-2017 02:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty much.

If you look in to Bethesda's history, they're incredibly shady, ran by an ex-lawyer who agreed to be permanently banned from banking after being investigated by the DoJ.

Since he took control of Zenimax / Bethesda, he's proceeded to use his knowledge of law in order to pry intellectual property from the original creators' hands.

Basically, Bethesda offer to buy out companies whose games they're publishing after denying them the milestone bonuses these companies require to continue developing. These milestones are always defined nebulously enough that the deal will always be in Bethesda's favour if it goes to court.

They did it with Interplay and Fallout, Arkane, Obsidian, Human Head, and I strongly suspect they did it with id too.

When they started pulling the same old bullshit with Oculus, I thought they'd finally bitten off more than they could chew, and that Facebook would crush them like an insect.

But nope, looks like Bethesda's pack of attack lawyers are particularly well trained. And they know where to fight their battles; they use a lot of the same courts associated with patent trolls, knowing that the average juries in those locations are going to be too stupid to properly understand the cases.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 12-12-2017 12:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
As I said Soap, Bethesda have no interest in making sure their games work on Oculus hardware.

I suspect the only reason we're seeing a flurry of VR titles from them is purely for legal reasons.
One of their arguments in court while attempting to sue Oculus was that Oculus stole VR technology Bethesda had been developing. This was bullshit, so they're trying to push out quick ports to "prove" that they actually were developing VR stuff.

Its really funny. I mean shit, Oculus paid them 500 mill or so already. I'm just beside myself they are so petty as to not even bother designing controls that will work for anything BUT the vive. There are other headsets out there that didnt 'Steal' there shit.

Its console wars level of bullshit, and its really hilarious because nobody else is doing that shit at the moment.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-13-2017 12:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My Samsung VR has shipped, not bad for completely free and comes with the little controller too. I know it's nowhere near as good as the pro kit after using a Vibe but still looking forward to it :)

I got to use a Vibe with this Zotac pack.

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/vr-go

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 12-13-2017 05:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
My Samsung VR has shipped, not bad for completely free and comes with the little controller too. I know it's nowhere near as good as the pro kit after using a Vibe but still looking forward to it :)

I got to use a Vibe with this Zotac pack.

https://www.zotac.com/us/product/mini_pcs/vr-go

That would be a lot of fun. Shame that you still need light houses or tracking cameras. I guess you could use the new MS ones with that backpack and play outside, which could be fun.

You'll enjoy your Gear VR. Its the better of the mobile ones for sure.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-14-2017 12:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 12-14-2017 07:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/512270/Home__A_VR_Spacewalk/

Grab

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/gear ... 384074118/

Its basically the same thing as the PC one (Mission ISS). Its really fucking cool.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 12-17-2017 01:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So

Stand Out.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/74837 ... le_Royale/

Games fantastic and shaping up to be one of the "best" VR shooters right now.

Highly recommend. I've been waiting to really recommend it to see how active the devs were going to be and I can without a doubt say its worth the coin. Been playing since before it was a steam title, and it was downloading a daily (sometimes twice) 1.5+ Gig zip every day.

Back then, It was janky as fuck. Now? Holy shit its solid.

Understand it is still early access. Shit does break from time to time. In fact, sometimes they will patch shit, break it, then start working on a patch right there.

Tonight we had a little private tournament testing out some squad mechanics and to advertise the game a bit. And boy squads are going to be a fucking riot.

Again recommend it a ton. If you like PUBG, and have VR. Welp, Here you go. Enjoy playing nothing but this now.

Example, They patched in a helicopter. Its really really really broken and overpowered. You basically can just fly around with guns and hover and merc people who cant hit you because they cant see you and bullets dont to through the walls of it. Flying sniper base, its insane and going to get nerfed. But for now, Its live and hilariously broken fun.

Another example of buggy shit you'll deal with. The lobby, for some reason is a jitterfest at total random. Does not matter if im running 0 supersampling and lowest graphics or highest graphics and 2.0 supersampling.

Did not happen at the tournament thing. I think it has to do with the lobby bots. Thats my hunch.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 01-21-2018 02:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Windows MR headsets are on super sale.

They are NOT rift/vive quality with tracking. But after buying one to fuck with, its really not bad for 200 bucks. If you have a large head or a high PID distance (69 kinda high) then you may wanna skip all of them. If you're normal, Its a really nice setup for cheap.

http://amzn.to/2FVpWXR
http://amzn.to/2BfaSRm
http://amzn.to/2EYr9Mx
http://amzn.to/2EWGAVC

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-21-2018 03:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

but do you know de wey?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 01-21-2018 03:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
but do you know de wey?

de wet 2 de devil, jes.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-21-2018 06:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
but do you know de wey?

just no

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 01-21-2018 07:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
seremtan wrote:
but do you know de wey?

just no

SPIT ON DE FALSE QUEEN.

Also, Dell headset.

If you dont mind the headband style headset (PSVR)
And your IPD is 67 or less.

Then go hard.

Super duper shocked on how good the tracking and stuff was. Highly recommend for 200 bucks if you don't wanna setup cameras and shit.

Last edited by SOAPboy on 01-22-2018 01:45 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 11:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
seremtan wrote:
but do you know de wey?

just no

why are you running away?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-22-2018 12:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well it came and I'm amazed by the tracking, it's near perfect.

Some of the horror games can GTFO, I tore it off my face once already. Only real downside is you can see the screen OLED emitters.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-23-2018 02:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What is IPD and how do I know mine?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 01-23-2018 05:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
What is IPD and how do I know mine?

http://doc-ok.org/?p=898

Distance between pupils or w/e.
You can do it at home, Or hitup like the eye counter at your local walmart/target/samsclub/etc and they can measure it proper for free. They asked why I cared, Told em "VR stuff" and got "Oh cool, that stuff matters?" and had a nice little chat about it.

Long it short, Matters tons tho.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 01-24-2018 01:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ne good seated cockpit games like battlezone?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-24-2018 02:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Elite: Dangerous

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-24-2018 02:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thoughts? I play but sometimes just find myself going from station to station.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-24-2018 02:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I play using TrackIR for head tracking, which is immersive in its own right. I don't like dogfighting in the game, though, so it can get a bit repetitive and I end up playing Docking Simulator most of the time. I haven't played in months, sadly. :(

I hear they are making improvements to some of the non-combat aspects of the game, so mining and trade routes should be a bit more enjoyable, but those updates aren't coming until later this year IIRC.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 01-24-2018 02:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've not started it up for a few months, look forward to the updates.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 01-24-2018 03:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:
ne good seated cockpit games like battlezone?

Not really. Theres a decent mech game coming it looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvymyTpGWU0

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 01-24-2018 04:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
I play using TrackIR for head tracking, which is immersive in its own right. I don't like dogfighting in the game, though, so it can get a bit repetitive and I end up playing Docking Simulator most of the time. I haven't played in months, sadly. :(

I hear they are making improvements to some of the non-combat aspects of the game, so mining and trade routes should be a bit more enjoyable, but those updates aren't coming until later this year IIRC.

I played Elite a lot with TrackIR before getting a Rift, and to be honest, I actually prefer TrackIR in that game. You get a lot of the same things you get from playing with a Rift, but with hi-res graphics on top.

That was before I grew bored of spending more time warping from system to system than actually playing the game.

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 01-25-2018 07:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have Elite and tried it in VR a long time ago but it's too much to figure out. I have to relearn how to fly every time I play the dang game.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 01-25-2018 04:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:
I have Elite and tried it in VR a long time ago but it's too much to figure out. I have to relearn how to fly every time I play the dang game.

It don't support touch controls, so fuck it.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-25-2018 05:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You don't need touch controls for Elite, just a HOTAS.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.