Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        OnePlus 5T blows away iPhone X...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: OnePlus 5T blows away iPhone X...

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-24-2017 03:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

losCHUNK wrote:
Not really, it's about the implementation and limitations of the OS, Google know this which is why they are trying to track apps resource usage better. Allowing shoddy code onto your platform that can hide in memory is not a walled garden problem and I hate Apple for taking that approach, it's why I moved away from them in the 1st place. If it was a case of opening task manager and shutting down greedy programs it wouldn't be an issue.

Kracus raised the arguement of supporting 1000s of users only to find out his userbase is a walled garden.

Right? If I supported users in a sterile env I wouldnt have issues either!

Κracus wrote:
I was speaking strictly from a hardware standpoint. Samsung vs Apple hardware mostly. I'm not a fan of walled gardens either.

And we wernt if you paid attention.

Κracus wrote:
SOAPboy wrote:
Ive been in telecom (Wireless) For 10+ years at this point (see everyone can have phones as a job!). Its entirely common for wake locks on android to murder batteries. This is from supporting CUSTOMER AND CONSUMER devices. Hate to break it to you but android isnt smooth butter shit like you're trying tt make it out to be. Wake locks are a thing and the reason they happen is any moron can code some bullshit for the market.

You support 10 devices? 100? 400? You've had to handle each of those devices manually? And you check in on every user daily to find out if wake locks are a thing? Really, are you in actual wireless? Or are you just some "Guy" who works on shit at some business? I really hope its more the first, because being an "IT GUY" don't count when you only support a handful of people on specific hardware. :olo:

Ohhh wait, you janitor your shit regularly? Please let that be the next thing we go on about. Derp derp if you just keep an eye on things derp derp. Should not have to.

Janitoring my phone to get better battery is for the fucking birds. My iPhone I can leave every single service on, and get 48 hours easily. Why? Apps dont get stuck and kill my phone.

:olo: It not being a general android thing though.

That's nice, I work for a provincial government supporting roughly 10,000 users. I'm not saying Android is without faults, it has faults the same as apple and blackberry does. Unlike your clients though we lock that shit down so users can't get into the type of crap that causes those types of problems and that's probably the main reason I don't see the issues you see. Most of my problems revolve around encryption and email. Less so with blackberry, more so with Apple and Android is just in the middle of the two but we're phasing out blackberry's as the hardware isn't what it used to be. By the way, nice little condescending tone you've got going on, I'm sure working for a telecom company must be wonderful...

Edit: I should add that the problem you're mentioning isn't with the battery. It's the software causing the battery to drain. Software can be a problem on any platform if it's not well implemented. The batteries themselves are fine.

Which when you get down to it is an OS level problem. Nobody said the literal physical batteries are trash. We're saying the OS (which really, is more an app issue CAUSING the OS to wake lock) is causing the problem.

Supporting 10k users on a domain. So basically you'll never have issues with any user thanks to locked down IT policy, Cool, So you dont support users on android, you support users in a closed sealed env. Big dif. :olo:

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 11-24-2017 03:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you want to see what's eating your battery because of wakelocks then BetterBatteryStats is good. You can easily disable/uninstall the problematic apps. The author has put a free version on XDA if you don't want to buy it.

I wrote an app for a device we were testing a couple of years ago that was put in the sea. We strapped a phone to it inside a waterproof case, powered/recharged it with a tiny solar panel, and used it to record all the accelerometer data of how it was being knocked around by the sea. We used a phone as it was a cheap simple solution for prototyping. We genuinely needed wakelocks to make that work - couldn't have done that on Apple :p

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 11-24-2017 04:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The non rooted version of that can be found in one of the links I posted, I've tried it and it's a tidy piece of kit :)

I use it with Greenify but doesn't always work (or isn't always so easy) if something is using Google / play services or something alike.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 11-24-2017 04:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PhoeniX wrote:
If you want to see what's eating your battery because of wakelocks then BetterBatteryStats is good. You can easily disable/uninstall the problematic apps. The author has put a free version on XDA if you don't want to buy it.

I wrote an app for a device we were testing a couple of years ago that was put in the sea. We strapped a phone to it inside a waterproof case, powered/recharged it with a tiny solar panel, and used it to record all the accelerometer data of how it was being knocked around by the sea. We used a phone as it was a cheap simple solution for prototyping. We genuinely needed wakelocks to make that work - couldn't have done that on Apple :p

Its pretty cool thats still like the go to app. Crazy how nothing really has replaced it.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.