Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Hot Sauce

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Hot Sauce

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-19-2018 05:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's your favorite Hot Sauces? I've been on a hot sauce kick the last few weeks primarily due to watching too much Hot Ones on youtube. Check it out if you haven't it's a great show. That said, I've bought several Franks red hot sauces, buffalo seems to be my favorite at the moment but I've also bought some Hot Louisiana and one bottle of Rebel Jolokia Ghost pepper hot sauce. Let me tell you something about ghost pepper hot sauces, they are not to be fucked with.

I put a dab of that last one and tasted it straight and the heat lasted about 30 - 40 minutes. It was pretty crazy the first minute but actually tastes really good after. Anyone here have any favorite sauces that have some spice and taste good?

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 03-19-2018 09:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Buffalo sauce for sure.

Franks has a recipe right on their website for a buffalo chicken dip that is excellent.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-19-2018 10:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I really like it too, it needs to be just a touch hotter though, it's a bit too mild but it does taste great. If you like Franks Buffalo sauce try the Louisiana Hot, they taste similar on wings but the Louisiana is just a bit hotter.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 03-19-2018 10:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They do have a hotter variant. Too hot for my taste though.

I just use Frank for dip and such since its cheap. If I'm making some wings I get sauce from B-dubs.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-19-2018 11:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh damn I never saw that one at the store!

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-19-2018 01:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty sure I've mentioned before that I grow hot peppers and make my own sauce. It's pretty yummy.

Kracus, the flavor of ghost peppers imo is inferior to other super hots like the trinidad scorpion for example. Try a sauce made from them or a 7 pot primo/carolina reaper sauce.

As for bottled sauces, I recommend this stuff...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-19-2018 01:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Oh damn I never saw that one at the store!

I don't think I've seen them either but I am on the other side of the planet :)

Re: Hot Sauce, I like the Peri Peri brand and of course the any of the Tabasco varieties.

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 03-19-2018 02:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce, pretty tasty stuff IMO, here is a link:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Huy-Fong-Foo ... 3=&veh=sem

Stuff will roxxer your boxers :D

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 03-19-2018 03:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No love for Siracha?

Check out the Oatmeal comic on Siracha :up:

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 03-19-2018 03:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic PhoeniX, been so long since I posted up a pic I couldn't get it to work,(sigh), old people!

PS: Thanks for the link, that was cute,(LOL)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-20-2018 07:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shiracha is a staple at my house.

Also, banana ketchup is pretty good, though more sweet than spicy, like Asian plum sauce. It was created in the Philippines during WWII due to a tomato shortage and an abundance of bananas.

I also love Sichuan chili oil, Lao Gan Ma makes some good and spicy bottles. In addition, any kind of food with Sichuan peppercorns is an excellent compliment or alternative to chili peppers, it produces a mild numbing sensation.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-20-2018 12:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very interesting obsidian as I'd never heard of the banana ketchup (sauce). I found a simple recipe here i might try.

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 03-20-2018 05:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Banana ketchup, sounds pretty good actually, have to see if I can find some of that :)

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-21-2018 04:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
Pretty sure I've mentioned before that I grow hot peppers and make my own sauce. It's pretty yummy.

Kracus, the flavor of ghost peppers imo is inferior to other super hots like the trinidad scorpion for example. Try a sauce made from them or a 7 pot primo/carolina reaper sauce.

Ah cool man I didn't know. I like the ghost pepper sauce, I actually made some wings last night with it but I didn't go straight, I mixed it in with some Hot Louisiana and it was really good. I'll probably have to order something online to get a reaper or scorpion pepper sauce as nothing in town has it in stock. I think the ghost pepper sauce is the hottest one I could find. I've also heard of El Yukateco but is again, another sauce no one stocks so I'll have to order online. That's actually one of the sauces they use in the hot ones youtube show I mentioned.

What kind of peppers do you grow? How do you grow them? (indoors, outdoors?) and how hard is it to grow them? The more I'm dabbling with these the more I'm thinking of doing the same. Gonna be setting up a garden soon anyway to grow some bud might as well throw some hot peppers in there.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 03-21-2018 03:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:

Ah cool man I didn't know. I like the ghost pepper sauce, I actually made some wings last night with it but I didn't go straight, I mixed it in with some Hot Louisiana and it was really good. I'll probably have to order something online to get a reaper or scorpion pepper sauce as nothing in town has it in stock. I think the ghost pepper sauce is the hottest one I could find. I've also heard of El Yukateco but is again, another sauce no one stocks so I'll have to order online. That's actually one of the sauces they use in the hot ones youtube show I mentioned.

What kind of peppers do you grow? How do you grow them? (indoors, outdoors?) and how hard is it to grow them? The more I'm dabbling with these the more I'm thinking of doing the same. Gonna be setting up a garden soon anyway to grow some bud might as well throw some hot peppers in there.

The Yucateco red habenero is a very tasty and hot sauce. It's worth ordering a bottle, see if you like it.

I just grow a few pepper plants on my back deck every summer. Pepper plants aren't hard to take care of. I've grown a variety of super hots, ghost, chocolate ghost, trinidad scorpion, carolina reaper, 7 pot primo, brain strain, chocolate scorpion and probably a couple others i'm forgetting. I've also grown some other non-superhot strains like brazilian starfish which is a really nice plant and pepper.

I could mail you some seeds. I was supposed to mail some to Chopov and never got around to it. :/

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 03-21-2018 04:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Someone at work bought some ghost chili's today. He ate one whole, and looked like he was about to die for the next five minutes :owned:

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 03-29-2018 10:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep we grew Bhut Jolokia/Ghost Pepper in the hot house this year and we sampled a small piece each yesterday. Fucking fire and brimstone for 3-4 minutes.

Have saved the rest to prank a few hardcases at the office.

Sadly/fortunately, our Carolina Reapers didn't fruit at all this year. Ah well.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-30-2018 03:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey Foo get on Discord bruh

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 03-31-2018 12:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Done!

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 03-31-2018 03:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:
Yep we grew Bhut Jolokia/Ghost Pepper in the hot house this year and we sampled a small piece each yesterday. Fucking fire and brimstone for 3-4 minutes.

:D

I tried to grow some chillies a couple of years ago from some seeds which I'd harvested. I had about 8 plants all starting to do really well (a few cm each) then one night a mouse got in the house and ate them all :tear:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-31-2018 11:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That poor mouses hoop must have been destroyed

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 04-01-2018 12:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:

I have 3 Moruga Scorpions growing at the moment. Still in mason jars. But they are healthy as fuck on a maxibloom diet.

Came in this
https://www.amazon.com/Moruga-Scorpion- ... B018WL9GGW

Good times.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-01-2018 03:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't tried eating an actual chilli yet, just sauces. What's the difference between eating a very hot ghost pepper sauce vs eating a ghost pepper I wonder?

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 04-01-2018 06:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
I haven't tried eating an actual chilli yet, just sauces. What's the difference between eating a very hot ghost pepper sauce vs eating a ghost pepper I wonder?

the ghost pepper will be hotter than the sauce.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-01-2018 11:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
I have 3 Moruga Scorpions growing at the moment. Still in mason jars. But they are healthy as fuck on a maxibloom diet.

Came in this
https://www.amazon.com/Moruga-Scorpion- ... B018WL9GGW

Good times.

That's cool man. Not sure if those are available over here cause of biosecurity rules ;(

Κracus wrote:

Sauces tend to be a quicker burn, whereas with the pepper itself you get more of the oil and it dissipates slower. The addition of vinegar in the sauces can really amp up the initial burn though, plus you get other ingredients in the sauces so the flavor is usually better.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 04-01-2018 11:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Foo wrote:

That's cool man. Not sure if those are available over here cause of biosecurity rules ;(

Bio-security rules for some random plants?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-01-2018 06:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yup. Plant imports for NZ are whitelist-based rather than blacklist-based like most other places. The assumption here is if it's not on the 'definitely safe' list, it's gonna fuck up the isolated ecosystem.

Edit actually it looks like this one would get by (page 30), everything under the umbrella capsicum chinense should get past in seed form if you're willing to find an MPI-approved importer (in the origin country) and get all the paperwork done. Chances are someone's already done it, unless these are very recently created hybrids.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 04-01-2018 09:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thats pretty crazy man. I got the thing from a buddy who was like "this would be funny if this thing actually grew".

Its kinda neat. 5 germinated, 3 survived transplant (straight into 7gram maxi diet, so full str from day 1 lol), and they give you a whole second pack of seeds that arent in some stupid can.

Legit cant wait. So many peoples mouths are going to die.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 04-01-2018 10:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Trick is, let people try a piece for free but charge a couple of dollars for a glass of milk. Beaucoup bucks guaranteed.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.