Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Magic tricks to blow your mind

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Magic tricks to blow your mind

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-30-2018 07:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've seen magic tricks before of course live and on TV etc but I stumbled on this and just had to share.
For your viewing pleasure and comment.....

Feel free to add to the topic :D

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-30-2018 11:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

won't watch anything with mel b in, woman's pure scum.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-31-2018 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
won't watch anything with mel b in, woman's pure scum.

I was mesmerized by the magic and if you haven't watched the video you've missed something rather special IMO :smirk:

Know that I have never watched any of the ".... Got Talent Shows... " at all for more than seconds and that I couldn't pick out a Mel B in a line up to save my life. She could be black, white or wearing a burka :olo:

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 03-31-2018 03:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That was amazing to say the least, thank you for the share Whiskey 7

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-31-2018 11:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I really like Dynamo - check him out

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-01-2018 02:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Although I'm impressed by the sheer talent required to come up with or even perform some of those illusionist tricks, I never understood the complete disbelief on the part of illusionists' "victims".
People go all like "OMG!!! Noooo, how can this bee? It's impossible! OMG my life will never be the same!!!" Does it really ever warrant anything more than a "heh, that's clever" chuckle?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 04-01-2018 09:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Although I'm impressed by the sheer talent required to come up with or even perform some of those illusionist tricks, I never understood the complete disbelief on the part of illusionists' "victims".
People go all like "OMG!!! Noooo, how can this bee? It's impossible! OMG my life will never be the same!!!" Does it really ever warrant anything more than a "heh, that's clever" chuckle?

Yes. That guys really good and does some really CLEAN tricks. Deserves more than a heh, to me anyways.

Thanks for the share man. Great clip. :)

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-02-2018 02:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's also trashy scripted TV edited to look even more real. We went to see the Illusionists a year ago and it was way more entertaining and creative, especially since it was a live show and not clever editing.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-02-2018 02:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Agree Captain Mazda. I've been to a couple of live magic shows in my time and they are certainly better than the TV shows but this clip/video just surprised me no end. I was looking for the sleight of hand and didn't see any. Like I said, I have never watched any of the got talent shows.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-02-2018 07:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's well executed, but the Rubik's cube thing is a prop no different than a rabbit or a coin or card.

For example, matching the "randomly" mixed cubes are just two of the same cubes that he prearranged, that he swapped out the participant's cube out with. It's the same switcheroo trick that most magic tricks use.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-02-2018 08:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was watching closely as the big cube was fixed and the switcheroo had to happen and I just couldn't see it. Then he switched two :eek:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-03-2018 01:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
Eraser wrote:

Yes. That guys really good and does some really CLEAN tricks. Deserves more than a heh, to me anyways.

Thanks for the share man. Great clip. :)

Not saying there's no skill involved or anything. Mad props to the guy for that. But the whole "I can't believe this is happening" demeanor of most people undergoing these tricks is just something I find odd. Maybe I'm too much of a down-to-earth person for this kind of entertainment, because I always understand that it's a trick. It's not magic. It's a skillfully executed set of moves that create the illusion of things happening that couldn't possibly happen. And yes, again, I can appreciate the craftsmanship and skill involved, but being completely perplexed about how you've just witnessed something that couldn't possibly be explained is just not... well... let's say I doubt how genuine people's reactions are.

Something I do find rather interesting though, is when tricks are based on manipulating the human psyche. On Dutch TV there's this illusionist named Victor Mids. He has a show called "Mindf*ck" (yes, you can do that sort of thing on Dutch national TV). While most of the street magic tricks he does are of the same caliber you see in the YouTube clip above, there are a few segments where he explains how he does some things based on predicting human behavior.
For instance, he explains how simple and very subtle instructions can have a large impact on which card a person is going to pick when presented with a set of 5 different playing cards. In this particular case, he told people not to pick the obvious one, because that would make it too easy for him. This casual, off-hand remark combined with the selection of cards available and their arrangement made it so that pretty much everyone picks the one same card.
Seeing that still won't make me scream "OMGGGG WTFFFF WHOOAOAAA" at my TV, but I do think ok, that's pretty neat (and scary, because advertisers know the same sort of things).

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 04-03-2018 02:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I suggest looking at some stuff by Derren Brown. he does exactly what Victor Mids does but a hundred times better. Truly amazing what can be done with subliminal messaging.

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 04-03-2018 09:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

Bla bla me explaining why I'm overthink things and cant just enjoy them.

Gotcha. :olo:
:p

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-03-2018 11:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
I suggest looking at some stuff by Derren Brown. he does exactly what Victor Mids does but a hundred times better. Truly amazing what can be done with subliminal messaging.

Thanks so much MKJ.
I checked out this Derren Brown as I'd never heard of him...

One, awesome.
Two, really good, freaky so and easily seen how it's done with subliminal messaging.. Really, really good!
Three, incredible......
Four, I still wonder..
Five, ah, I caught the sleight of hand :up: the putting the card in his mouth but not how he knew what that card was ..

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.