Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The crossovers won?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: The crossovers won?

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 04-25-2018 06:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/25/ford-to-stop-selling-every-car-in-north-america-but-the-mustang-and-focus-active/

Definitely surprising, Ford is killing off all new cars except for the Mustang and a new Focus. Not being much of a fan of crossovers, I hope other manufacturers don't follow suit.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 03:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not a huge surprise. I drove by a parking lot a few days ago and the workers there are all blue collar workers. Some kind of shipping yard, I'm not sure exactly and the parking lot was full of trucks. There must have been about a hundred vehicles and 98% of them were trucks or SUV's. It was comical how few cars were there. Even I've ditched the car recently in preference for a 4x4. It isn't that I mind cars but I need a vehicle capable of getting me deep in the woods/trails whilst being able to tow my dirtbike for some weekend fun. It's also nice come winter time when the roads become impassable to cars.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 02:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll say it. Seems you need a bigger vehicle these days just to survive :smirk: Part of the reason I updated to a larder drive.

I like the last line of this article...
"After that, it is up to the driver to buckle up, stay sober and alert, and maintain a safe speed. That's the best way to maximize your odds of survival, no matter what size car you drive."

You can Google for yourself but another comment...
In car vs. SUV head-on crashes, the study found that the odds of death were 7.6 times higher for the car driver than the SUV driver. In crashes where the car had a better front crash-test rating than the SUV did, the car's driver fared a bit better but was still four and a half times more likely to die than the SUV driver.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 10:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Statistics schmatistics. What does "7 times more likely" mean in absolute terms? You could say that people who regularly swim in the sea are 1000 times more likely to get bitten by a shark than people who don't, but yet, even for people who swim in a sea daily, chances of getting bitten are pretty much insignificant.

I'm getting kind of riled up by this sort of reasoning because it's basically all I ever hear from non-riders when I say I ride a motorcycle. It's always about how dangerous it is. Lots of people insinuate that it's madness to go out in traffic on a motorcycle. And sure, you're more vulnerable than a car driver, but common sense, defensive riding and proper safety gear will diminish a significant portion of that added risk.
Anyway, the point is that I ended up hating talking to non-riders about bikes because you simply can't break away from the safety talk. And all that, of course, right before the other person mentions going on a 3 week winter sports holiday this year.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-27-2018 03:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

God... that has to be my biggest pet peeve about owning a motorbike. I have a friend who used to play in wheelchair basketball, he himself isn't wheelchair bound but apparently all of his teamates are and apparently all of them are in wheelchairs because of a motorcycle accident that wasn't their fault. All of them. It annoys the fuck out of me.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-27-2018 04:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Where did motor bikes come from?
I was a bike rider myself albeit years ago so I understand the issue. Common sense, perhaps rare these days and defensive driving skill/knowledge can help and yes, you can argue statistics all day but you'd have to admit the large mass vehicle comes off better in 'general collisions'.

I see an increasing numbers of 4WD/SUVs on the roads these days so I'd agree, the crossovers won.

There was a traffic accident hereabouts the other day that sticks in my mind somewhat: A recently married couple and under 30 I guess, were t-boned by an unlicensed driver in a stolen car (no insurance) while he was high on drugs. The couple died instantly because of the high speed impact and he survived :smirk: with minor injury. I don't know the types of vehicles involved and what I am trying to say is no matter how good you are or what you drive you are no doubt aware (or should be) that you could be taken out in milliseconds. Just one of those small statistics I suppose.

Obviously I see it coming over the horizon, so don't bring up "I'd rather be driving a truck."

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-27-2018 09:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Motorbikes came in because you suggested a bigger vehicle was the more sensible option due to increased safety, which immediately triggered these sentiments with me as a biker because it's the same argument I hear against riding a bike.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-27-2018 09:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see. No problem. I didn't join the dots because we were talking cars vs SUV/crossovers. Perhaps why I added the truck comment; Freudian maybe.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-28-2018 01:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There is no problem here. Up to a point you are right in that a bigger vehicle is safer for the occupant. I just knee-jerk reacted there by extrapolating that to the cars vs motorcycles argunent. Which isn't a wrong discussion to have either, it's just that I'm sick of people overreacting to the supposed dangerousness of motorcycles.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 04-28-2018 05:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It seems every time I mention riding to non-riders I get a cringe and words of discouragement. I'm certain a lot of that has to do with the fact Florida is a retirement community and there are a lot of older drivers here. But I love it. Especially on days where the temperature is just right, they sky is blue and the sun is shining. There is nothing like that wide open feeling, the breeze in your face and rumble of the exhaust....

I'm going riding. :cool:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.