Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Cane Thumping


Post new topicReply to topic
Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC




Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Toronto...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 4853
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 10:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


You know... I was going to retort about how you're just devolving into name calling and being dense about this but really, you are the problem. People like you are exactly what's wrong in today's society. You're so sure of yourselves and your bullshit and every time someone comes along and points out how horribly flawed your ideals are you simply ignore what's been said, insult people trying to help you and then bury your head in the sand because you don't want to hear it. Your ego is so frail you can't even stand the idea of having other views on a subject. You and people like you make me sad to be alive today.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20266
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 11:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Dude, you haven't and still don't understand how horrifically stupid you sound most of the time (ask other forum posters). Talk about dense. There's no discussing things with you. Instead of acknowledging any kind of plausibility, you insistently argue the extreme contrary with complete disregard. At least I can agree that there are many redeeming aspect of social media and that it's not entirely responsible for the decline of social skills. Furthermore, my ideas aren't flawed. That's your ignorance getting in the way. Speaking to you is incredibly frustrating and unrewarding. The only positive thing I can take away from any conversation with you is the brief moment of pleasure I get from calling you an idiot. And if this so "sad" to you, maybe ending it would be the best thing for everyone forced to deal with you on a daily basis.

Cheers.




Top
                 

Arrr?
Arrr?
Joined: 09 Feb 2001
Posts: 34436
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 05:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


YourGrandpa wrote:
Dude, you haven't and still don't understand how horrifically stupid you sound most of the time (ask other forum posters). Talk about dense. There's no discussing things with you. Instead of acknowledging any kind of plausibility, you insistently argue the extreme contrary with complete disregard.

Wikipedia wrote:
Psychological projection is a theory in psychology in which humans defend themselves against their own unconscious impulses or qualities (both positive and negative) by denying their existence in themselves while attributing them to others.[1] For example, a person who is habitually intolerant may constantly accuse other people of being intolerant. It incorporates blame shifting.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20266
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 05:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Yeah... So you and Kramp-ass should knock that shit off. :olo:




Top
                 

Arrr?
Arrr?
Joined: 09 Feb 2001
Posts: 34436
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 06:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I see what you did there.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20266
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 06:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Probably not though.




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 42359
PostPosted: 04-26-2018 10:53 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Get off my lawn!




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20266
PostPosted: 04-27-2018 05:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


You gonna be okay bro?




Top
                 

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 4853
PostPosted: 04-27-2018 08:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Do you have to be the last to reply to everything? You do don't you?




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20266
PostPosted: 04-27-2018 01:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


No. Do you?




Top
                 

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Joined: 24 Nov 2000
Posts: 43644
PostPosted: 04-27-2018 05:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Stop ruining every thread, thanks




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20266
PostPosted: 04-27-2018 05:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Yeah. All this conversation happens by itself.

Hey people posting here. Stop ruining "every" thread.

K Thanks.




Top
                 

Arrr?
Arrr?
Joined: 09 Feb 2001
Posts: 34436
PostPosted: 04-27-2018 06:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


There was the potential for debate, but that chance pretty much went up in smoke when Kracus invoked Godwin's Law and you fell for it.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20266
PostPosted: 04-27-2018 06:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Who fell for what?




Top
                 

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
Joined: 20 Jul 2001
Posts: 11035
PostPosted: 04-27-2018 09:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I'd never heard of Godwin's Law.

Quote:
Urban Dictionary: Godwin's Law
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... %27s%20Law

A term that originated on Usenet, Godwin's Law states that as an online argument grows longer and more heated, it becomes increasingly likely that somebody will bring up Adolf Hitler or the Nazis. When such an event occurs, the person guilty of invoking Godwin's Law has effectively forfieted the argument.



_________________
Hit my WWW and make the world spin :D


Top
                 

Arrr?
Arrr?
Joined: 09 Feb 2001
Posts: 34436
PostPosted: 04-27-2018 10:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


YourGrandpa wrote:
Who fell for what?

He got to you. You guys are bickering over a point of view neither of you are going to change. Debating it is one thing, but you're just pushing each other's buttons. :yawn:




Top
                 

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Joined: 24 Nov 2000
Posts: 43644
PostPosted: 04-28-2018 03:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


YourGrandpa wrote:
Yeah. All this conversation happens by itself.

Hey people posting here. Stop ruining "every" thread.

K Thanks.

I don't care about pigheaded discussions. However endless namecalling and "no u" back and forths are not conversations and are indeed 'ruining' threads.
I don't care who starts them, just don't contribute to it.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20266
PostPosted: 04-28-2018 05:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Transient wrote:
YourGrandpa wrote:
Who fell for what?

He got to you.


As if. LOL.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20266
PostPosted: 04-28-2018 05:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


MKJ wrote:
I don't care about pigheaded discussions. However endless namecalling and "no u" back and forths are not conversations and are indeed 'ruining' threads.
I don't care who starts them, just don't contribute to it.


You want cooperation? Don't single people out. Especially if there are other contributors. Address the group and make your request. Otherwise, what you're doing is unfair, bias and not applicable to all. Therefore not applicable to anyone.




Top
                 

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Joined: 24 Nov 2000
Posts: 43644
PostPosted: 04-28-2018 06:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


You are right, I shouldn't single anyone out. Which is why I didn't quote anyone specific in my first post.

We can argue semantics all day - which I'm not going to - but the point still stands. So to all: either stop it or take it to the Void. Thank you.




Top
                 

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 4853
PostPosted: 04-30-2018 05:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Transient wrote:
There was the potential for debate, but that chance pretty much went up in smoke when Kracus invoked Godwin's Law and you fell for it.


I wouldn't say I invoked Godwins law in this case, it was a joke, not meant as an argument. The rest of my discussion however where I tried to show Gwamps how technology isn't the problem here is my actual argument. I really do believe technology helps people to stay in touch with others rather than the opposite which is what Gwamps is suggesting. I may be pushing Gwamps buttons but that's like impossible to not do when someone absolutely refuses to look at the holes in their own argument. Social media helps people meet others, water is wet. This isn't my opinion these are facts that gwamps disagrees with so there's no debating that with him until he pulls his head out of the sand.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20266
PostPosted: 04-30-2018 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


You're doing it again and you don't even see it... I NEVER said technology was "the" problem. I NEVER said technology doesn't help people communicate. I can acknowledge that social media and the internet have plenty of redeeming qualities. If used properly and in moderation or conjunction with actual personal/physical interactions they can only complement one another. But when you have people who live the majority of their life interacting with others virtually, you can only expect problems when the virtual element is removed. And that's what is happening in this world of instant gratification as more and more aspects of every day existence can be fulfilled by technology. People lose their ability and patience to participate in what should be normal human interactions. This is clearly more prevalent in younger people as they have less experience or reference to what it's like to do something without their cell phone/internet.




Top
                 

Arrr?
Arrr?
Joined: 09 Feb 2001
Posts: 34436
PostPosted: 04-30-2018 10:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


That doesn't turn people into mass murderers, though.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20266
PostPosted: 04-30-2018 10:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Certainly not every person. But there are people being desensitized to the value of human life due to diminishing interaction.




Top
                 

Arrr?
Arrr?
Joined: 09 Feb 2001
Posts: 34436
PostPosted: 04-30-2018 10:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Was there a spike in murders after radio was invented? How about TV? Did we get more mass killers after people stopped being hunter-gatherers and started living in houses?




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20266
PostPosted: 04-30-2018 10:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


TV, Radio and Telephone collectively pale in comparison to the internet. Which is coincidentally why all are being replaced by the internet. Just as the internet is replacing the need for human interaction. Listen, the internet by itself isn't "bad". It's how people are being raised around it.

I'm sure you disagree and think the internet has nothing but positive aspects and couldn't possibly have any negative affect on it users. Right, Krampass? :rolleyes:




Top
                 

Arrr?
Arrr?
Joined: 09 Feb 2001
Posts: 34436
PostPosted: 04-30-2018 10:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


The way people were raised after TV was invented changed drastically, too, and there wasn't a spike in murders around the world.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20266
PostPosted: 04-30-2018 12:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


TV and Radio only offered visual/audible stimulation and very little individuality outside of minimal channel selection. They didn't prevent the need for human interaction. The internet adds an interactive aspect that only further removes the human element and promotes an immersion into a world of never-ending customization. Where people only have to see/hear things that appeal to them. It can't be healthy for young people to have access to everything they want, when and how they want it with little understanding about where it comes from or how it gets there. So you really can't compare TV/Radio to the Internet. You couldn't tell the TV you only wanted to see puppy/kitty videos and have it instantly pull up 3000 selection for choose from. Radio never allowed you to tune into thousands of your favorite type of station and instantly interact with the host or other listeners. All of that with the very comfortable vial of anonymity to hide behind.


Truthfully, you're comparing apples and rocket ships.




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 42359
PostPosted: 04-30-2018 12:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


YourGrandpa wrote:
But when you have people who live the majority of their life interacting with others virtually

But again, is this fact or just the way you think the world is working right now? Show me the numbers. The statistics. The objective proof that this is being the case.

Because right now, I'm much more inclined to think that for the majority of people in their teens/twenties/thirties, having platforms like Facebook, WhatsApp or FaceTime only makes it easier to have contact with friends and schoolmates and colleagues. So much in fact, that the online communication is mostly done in addition to the face-to-face contact they already have, or at worst replaces other indirect means of communication they used (like using Whatsapp to chat to a group of friends instead of using the phone to call just one)




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20266
PostPosted: 04-30-2018 01:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


You show me stats...

It's funny how I need stats to support my opinion but somehow you don't.

If you can't see how the virtual world is causing people to have less face to face social activity, then you're blind. That can be seen EVERYWHERE you go. No special study or statistics required. People are more inclined to check their social media apps than they are to speak to another person in the room. That's because the apps provide controlled environments customized by the user to provide positive stimulation. There is very little chance of hearing/seeing/saying anything that offends you or being challenged first hand. If something like that does happen, you can just scroll past without concern. Furthermore, if you can't understand how this progressive detachment from human interaction could cause developmental problems for our youth, you're in denial.




Top
                 

Arrr?
Arrr?
Joined: 09 Feb 2001
Posts: 34436
PostPosted: 04-30-2018 03:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


You're the one who made the initial claim, and you're the one who bears the burden of proof. It's a logical fallacy to try and shift that burden to someone who refutes your claim. If you want to convince someone to change their mind, back up your shit.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20266
PostPosted: 04-30-2018 04:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


It's my opinion based on personal experience. If you think I'm wrong. So much so that you require statistics. Go look them up yourself. Otherwise, be satisfied knowing that you are no more right than I am.




Top
                 

Arrr?
Arrr?
Joined: 09 Feb 2001
Posts: 34436
PostPosted: 04-30-2018 07:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


We agree with one another that there are good things and bad things about social media and the internet in general. If your initial assertion ended there, we wouldn't be on page 3 right now. But you went further by implying that there was a statistically significant change in crime after the internet came about. We spent the next few pages going back and forth about why one or the other was wrong. If you're not trying to convince anyone of anything, then why keep this up for so long? Surely a single post on the 1st page would have sufficed to tell us your opinion. Then you could have, you know, moved on. :arrow:



_________________
YourGrandpa wrote:
I'm satisfied with voicing my opinion and moving on.


Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 42359
PostPosted: 04-30-2018 10:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Transient wrote:
You're the one who made the initial claim, and you're the one who bears the burden of proof. It's a logical fallacy to try and shift that burden to someone who refutes your claim. If you want to convince someone to change their mind, back up your shit.

Not only that, but with me not agreeing with him, he's saying that

- I am blind for not agreeing with his personal subjective opinion.
- I am in denial for not agreeing with his personal subjective opinion.
- it is unnecessary to come up with facts because it's "obvious" he is right.

He also seems to be unable to understand that I do not refute his personal observations, it's that I disagree with extrapolating that to an entire generation of people and linking that to a significant change in social abilities between people.

YGP here is the prime example of why we're dealing with an epidemic of fake news right now.




Top
                 

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 4853
PostPosted: 05-01-2018 03:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Might be a little bit of projection going on there to boot.




Top
                 
Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion


Post new topic Reply to topic


cron
Quake3World.com
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group