Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Cane Thumping


Post new topicReply to topic
Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC




Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Cane Thumping

Shambolic
Shambolic
Joined: 11 Apr 2000
Posts: 7829
PostPosted: 05-02-2018 10:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I can't believe nobody else pounced on the fact that Gramps' evidence supporting his position that all young people are feckless losers is based on his experiences with his teenager.




Top
                 

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 5013
PostPosted: 05-03-2018 04:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


That's probably why he gets so riled up. He's been hurling insults at me nonstop instead of actually making some kind of coherent argument and I guess since I'm saying that the problem is probably a lack of education and not technology he's probably taking it personally since his only reference to this "problem" are his own kids.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20374
PostPosted: 05-03-2018 04:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Mat Linnett wrote:
I can't believe nobody else pounced on the fact that Gramps' evidence supporting his position that all young people are feckless losers is based on his experiences with his teenager.


Well Mat, it's probably because I never said all young people and sited several different examples.

But thanks for playing.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20374
PostPosted: 05-03-2018 04:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Κracus wrote:
That's probably why he gets so riled up. He's been hurling insults at me nonstop instead of actually making some kind of coherent argument and I guess since I'm saying that the problem is probably a lack of education and not technology he's probably taking it personally since his only reference to this "problem" are his own kids.


An idiot's view indeed.

BTW, your constant use of absolutes certainly don't help your case.




Top
                 

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 5013
PostPosted: 05-03-2018 05:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


You're absolute use of your opinion as facts to an argument only help perpetuate you're an old fart from florida with no clue about anything. The only absolute I'm claiming is that you're a complete moron.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20374
PostPosted: 05-03-2018 06:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Your inability to follow a conversation only further confirms my assertion that you're not that bright. I never said my opinion was fact. However, I stand behind my opinion as it's based on first hand experience. And I'm 47. Aren't you 40 something?

BTW, you also used the absolute "anything". And I'm the moron. :olo:




Top
                 

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 5013
PostPosted: 05-03-2018 07:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Gwamps opinions as facts:

1. Not wearing a helmet is safer on a motorbike.

2. Technerlergy is bad mmmkay and the problem with todays kids.

3. I'm so super smart, amazing no one on Q3W agrees with me on anything really.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20374
PostPosted: 05-03-2018 07:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Says the guy who usually claims he's done it/knows it, but really hasn't/doesn't.




Top
                 

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 5013
PostPosted: 05-03-2018 09:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I can assure you the assumption of the things I haven't done are incorrect, like your opinions.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20374
PostPosted: 05-03-2018 10:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Not even you can make that claim. :olo:




Top
                 

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 51306
PostPosted: 05-03-2018 10:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I kind of agree with some of the points that Gramps has made (though I have not read the whole thread). There are 9 years difference between myself and my sister and there is a stark difference between her attitudes towards stuff and mine. I am not going to go into it too much, but she hasn't learnt to drive and wanted to be an architectural photographer (uni degree etc), then couldn't understand why people were unwilling to give her a job (funnily enough, people don't bring buildings to you to photograph).

But yes, not learning to drive is defo a generational thing. I couldn't be without it; the first time I was able to drive a car after I passed my test was a revelation for in terms of possibilities; the country and then the world just seemed so much more accessible.

As an aside, we have student grads in work who are incredibly self entitled who don't seen to grasp concepts such as experience and loyalty to a company. They are of the opinion that they should be paid the same as someone who has been in the same job for 5 years and is the go to person for issues. Those people have the experience and should be paid accordingly but thats something that I have heard being discussed as "unfair", while complaining about how they will never be able to afford a house while drinking a £4 coffee and eating smashed avocado toast every day.

To quote Mallory Archer "Yes, and everyone deserves a trophy just for showing up, and everyone's Kickstarter has merit. Ugh"

Fair play, I've turned into a right grumpy cunt :olo:




Top
                 

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 5013
PostPosted: 05-04-2018 03:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


That's fine, I disagree with his comments that it makes kids less social. I think the opposite to be true but that and kids buying cars are two separate things. I think it's cool that kids today don't feel the need to get cars, I think as a society we need less vehicles in our lives, at least gas powered ones.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20374
PostPosted: 05-04-2018 07:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I love how you read into things and then just say shit.

Don said NOTHING about his sister not wanting a car. He said she never had the desire to learn how to drive. How you translate that into not wanting a car and saving the environment is humorous.

BTW, kids want cars. But the anxieties and responsibilities that comes with it are discouraging them from getting a license. In other words, if they don't have a license they can't and therefore don't have to deal with those anxieties and responsibilities. Furthermore, having full time access to all your friends and favorite activities via internet/social media removes a large portion of the motivation.




Top
                 

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 51306
PostPosted: 05-04-2018 08:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


YourGrandpa wrote:
BTW, kids want cars. But the anxieties and responsibilities that comes with it are discouraging them from getting a license. In other words, if they don't have a license they can't and therefore don't have to deal with those anxieties and responsibilities. Furthermore, having full time access to all your friends and favorite activities via internet/social media removes a large portion of the motivation.


This is 100% accurate in my sisters case :up:




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20374
PostPosted: 05-04-2018 10:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Same thing with my 17 yo son and several of his friends. He's wanted a car (all different kinds of cars) since he was in his early teens. But we still had to push him to get his license. Largely because he conducts the majority of his social life through his cellphone and gaming console.




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 42590
PostPosted: 05-04-2018 12:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


More anecdotal evidence, but from a professional perspective:
My gf works as a nurse with adolescents in primary schools and highschools. She monitors their physical, mental and social development. If children show signs of developmental problems at school or in their home situations, she helps these kids and their parents finding the right support organizations to deal with their problems. This ranges from physical problems like obesity to things like having problems on social levels, to depression, ADD or even abusive parents. Anyway, she sees and talks to kids. A lot. Day in day out.
I gave her a rundown of the discussion here and she said she's not seeing any obvious problems or decline in social skills in general (of course there are those with problems, but not exceptionally many). I asked her why kids these days aren't as interested in getting a drivimg license these days and she said she expected it mostly to be a money issue as well as the need of a car being not that big to begin with. She also cited research which showed a great decline in marriages, where the number 1 reason was said to be money. And to add to that, marriage is no longer the life defining institute it once was. There is a strong decrease in religious motivators, as well as legal alternatives which are much cheaper, so why spend a outrageous amount of money on what is essentially a glorified dance party.

What I'm saying is that the symptoms you may be seeing are real, but it's too easy to blame them entirely on internet/social media. There's a much bigger, much more complex social system lying underneath that has far more influence on young people's (social) behavior than Instagram and Facebook have. They may be a factor, but certainly not the only one and most likely not even the most significant.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20374
PostPosted: 05-04-2018 01:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I never said the problem is "entirely" internet/social media. I said they were contributors. And it is plausible that they are big enough contributors in some children's lives to cause them to do bad things. Maybe your wife works with inner city children who have access to public transportation and are living below poverty level. Because where I live we NEED cars and comparatively (PS4/iPhone/Brand Name Shoes) they aren't that expensive. Any kid living at home with a part time job can afford a used car. Of course they also have to have the desire, dedication and need to get one.




Top
                 

Etile
Etile
Joined: 19 Nov 2003
Posts: 33872
PostPosted: 05-04-2018 02:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


thanks for reminding me why i don't come here any more, brian :|




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20374
PostPosted: 05-04-2018 02:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Fuck you too, shit stain. :up:




Top
                 

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
Joined: 11 Aug 2000
Posts: 48026
PostPosted: 05-06-2018 02:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Eraser wrote:
Have to agree with Gramps here. Kracus is just talking shit for the sake of talking shit.
Having said that, I also have to agree with Transient. Everyone can have their voice heard these days so that simply amplifies the sentiment.


Same, if you take a step back and see how people unload on Gramps it's a little bit shitty.

also, I agree with most of what he says. there's a whole generation coming through in the UK with no chance of ever holding a good job down but believing they have a right to whatever they want. could turn out to be a good thing for the ones willing to apply themselves if there's a lack of hard workers.




Top
                 

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
Joined: 20 Jul 2001
Posts: 11335
PostPosted: 05-06-2018 01:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Eraser wrote:
Hmm
Image


I was scanning through the topic...tldr and spotted the picture :up: :up:



_________________
Hit my WWW and make the world spin :D


Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 42590
PostPosted: 05-06-2018 09:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


You really should read the thread to know what the pic is about Whiskey.

Edit:
Well, at least read this post viewtopic.php?p=1057754#p1057754




Top
                 

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
Joined: 20 Jul 2001
Posts: 11335
PostPosted: 05-06-2018 10:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I see said the blind man.. they could be on a museum app and getting additional information about the picture..

Link https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-new ... ds-7189798


@ Eraser, I'll make it a point to read this topic completely as it just seemed (on a scan) some posters are bashing each other with text :smirk:



_________________
Hit my WWW and make the world spin :D


Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 42590
PostPosted: 05-07-2018 12:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Whiskey 7 wrote:
it just seemed (on a scan) some posters are bashing each other with text :smirk:

Well, you're not wrong there




Top
                 

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Joined: 24 Nov 2000
Posts: 43724
PostPosted: 05-07-2018 12:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


The pic went viral with captions like "millennials wouldn't know art if they would sit 10ft away from it" and such while in reality it's what Whiskey said - teenagers learning more about said art through a museum app.
The point being that technology is simply a part of the times and cane thumpers shouldn't dismiss youngsters using their phones on sight.




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 42590
PostPosted: 05-07-2018 12:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


MKJ wrote:
The pic went viral with captions like "millennials wouldn't know art if they would sit 10ft away from it" and such while in reality it's what Whiskey said - teenagers learning more about said art through a museum app.
The point being that technology is simply a part of the times and cane thumpers shouldn't dismiss youngsters using their phones on sight.

Thanks, captain obvious, for clearing that up.




Top
                 

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Joined: 24 Nov 2000
Posts: 43724
PostPosted: 05-07-2018 12:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Twas for Whiskey and other new thread participant's sake, as Gramps didn't take your bait.
Dicknozzle.




Top
                 

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
Joined: 31 Dec 1969
Posts: 51306
PostPosted: 05-07-2018 01:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


MKJ wrote:
Dicknozzle.


:smirk:




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 42590
PostPosted: 05-07-2018 01:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


MKJ wrote:
Twas for Whiskey and other new thread participant's sake, as Gramps didn't take your bait.
Dicknozzle.

Whiskey already figured it out wank knob




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20374
PostPosted: 05-07-2018 05:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


MKJ wrote:
The point being that technology is simply a part of the times and cane thumpers shouldn't dismiss youngsters using their phones on sight.


But that's not the point I was making.




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 42590
PostPosted: 05-07-2018 06:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


You pretty much gave the impression you did




Top
                 

Cool #9
Cool #9
Joined: 01 Dec 2000
Posts: 42590
PostPosted: 05-07-2018 06:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Oh wait no, you said something about kids not getting a drivers license these days as well, but that was all the fault of cellphones and Facebook :shrug:




Top
                 

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
Joined: 15 Oct 2007
Posts: 5013
PostPosted: 05-07-2018 06:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


I honestly don't know what his point is anymore. I was pretty sure technology was responsible for kids not socializing at one point during this conversation but now it's well not everyone and not all the time and yeah, I don't know anymore.

I think parenting/education plays a higher role in these problems than technology. That's all I'm saying.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20374
PostPosted: 05-07-2018 06:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Eraser wrote:
You pretty much gave the impression you did


Nowhere did I say kids shouldn't use technology nor did I promote disparaging them at a glance for doing so. I am completely for ALL technology. However, I believe the over use/abuse of those technologies can cause people to develop social issues.




Top
                 

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
Joined: 16 Apr 2000
Posts: 20374
PostPosted: 05-07-2018 06:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote


Κracus wrote:
I honestly don't know...


NEWS FLASH... No one expects you to.




Top
                 
Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion


Post new topic Reply to topic


cron
Quake3World.com
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group