Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Doom Eternal

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Doom Eternal

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 09:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, so the Horde mode is a thing? Is that any good? Because if it's like Gears of Wars' Horde mode I might give Doom Eternal a re-install.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-16-2022 12:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its basically a series of arenas with extra hard battles every once n awhile.
Its pretty good

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-16-2022 12:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain wrote:
MKJ wrote:
'dead' is a bit of a weird thing to say. It's primarily a SP game and it works pretty well as one. Horde mode is a good addition too.
No new content tho.. it doesn't need it per se but they did make it seem like there would be regular updates in the form of master levels and such.

Yeah that's what I'm alluding to. No one was waiting years for Eternal because of Battlemode, yet that's all they're focusing on. No support for single player makes the game dead as far as I'm concerned. Has anyone here even touched it since completing the DLC?

You are right.
I beat the DLC which tbh was a bit of a chore and haven't played missions since. I play horde every now and then but that's it.
In Doom93 or Doom2016 I would just load up a random map and go ham for a bit.
To me the Eternal campaign levels are just too large to pick up and play, so I never do

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-21-2022 08:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I actually think Doom 2016 is superior in general

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-21-2022 08:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Finished the DLC...

I have to say, I didn't enjoy it. Maybe it's age catching up with me or maybe playing on the PS5 pad has dulled my skills, but I found it brutally difficult. So much so, that even on Hurt Me Plenty, it sapped all the fun out of it. Watching people do this on ultra nightmare is mind boggling.

Don Carlos wrote:
Not sure; the DLC had bits in that just felt unfair to me. The base game was tough (though MUCH easier with a keyboard and mouse than with a pad) but it felt fair. It felt like if you really mastered the movement, weapon switching and the grenade/flame belch usage, you were golden. With certain parts of the DLC it feels like they've made certain parts and challenges difficult for difficulties sake. It feels like luck at times, rather than skill. It's almost like the chose to make it a challenge for the elite players rather than thinking about the average player.

This is relevant to my above post

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 07-22-2022 01:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think there's a bit of a plague in modern games where developers are now making games for streamers rather than the gaming public.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-22-2022 02:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
I think there's a bit of a plague in modern games where developers are now making games for streamers rather than the gaming public.

How so? Got any examples?

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 07-22-2022 04:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Apart from Doom Eternal?
Well, quite a few MMOs / "Games as a Service" have rebalanced to cater to streamers, such as Guild Wars 2 and arguably Destiny 2. A lot of the focus in these games is now on raids and "World Firsts", to the detriment of the rest of the game.

Guild Wars 2's entire balance has changed to to prolonged criticisms from its most popular streamers. Ironically, they've actually made the end game easier by continuously asking for all classes to have access to all tools all the time, and the developers have bought in to this, resulting in gameplay focussed on flawless execution of long skill rotations in order to bypass mechanics and reduce the chances of team members dying to effectively 0.
This is in stark contrast to the more action-based game it used to be.

While I don't play them myself, I'm pretty sure streamers have an outsized influence on many of the Battle Royale games like Fortnight.

Then there's the recent Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate, which was given to streamers first (as a marketing mechanism), and then turned out to be ridiculously difficult even on the lowest difficulty.

I also think that's why I didn't gel with Divinity Original Sin 2, where I'd loved the first one. It was balanced for "hilarious" co-op shenanigans on Twitch / YouTube, but was an unfair, unbalanced mess in single-player.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-08-2022 03:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The engine looks powered up.
That dismemberment feature looks pretty realistic!

Nowadays, lower spec PCs can't run well playing this game.

I think there's some GPU beaten this game, maybe a 3080 RTX at very high settings?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-08-2022 04:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LegendGuard wrote:
Nowadays, lower spec PCs can't run well playing this game.

I think there's some GPU beaten this game, maybe a 3080 RTX at very high settings?

I played large portions of Doom Eternal on a laptop with a GTX1650 and a 1080p screen. Most of it ran just fine without the need to dial the graphics down to shit.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-08-2022 05:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, despite my misgivings with Bethesda's version of id and the direction they took with Eternal, I can't criticise their coding chops at all.
The recent versions of id Tech perform flawlessly and seem to be incredibly scalable.
I mean, Carmack built an awesome foundation, but he's been gone long enough that the current programmer/s deserve a lot of credit for just how good the engine is.

Performance is not a problem when playing these games.

Just a shame we'll never see another open source release of the code ever again.
Gotta protect those rights!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-08-2022 05:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
Just a shame we'll never see another open source release of the code ever again.

On one hand that is a loss, but with engines like Unity and Unreal Engine being available for free, you could easily make the argument that you can build literally anything you would ever want to, despite them being proprietary pieces of technology. You could argue about the ethics behind it and how id's engines going the FOSS route is the best thing to do, but realistically, even a complete source release of idTech 7 wouldn't be very helpful to indie studios, let alone hobbyist developers.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.