Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Doom Eternal

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Doom Eternal

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-25-2020 01:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, that's odd. I don't see why you'd play the DLC to the 2nd game in a series before either of the core games.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-25-2020 05:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
It's standalone? I see, that explains why it said I already own Doom Eternal. Still a bit odd though, because I assume you can't play the main campaign with only the DLC

Correct.
I think they still have high hopes for that battle mode stuff. They've already introduced seasons where you can unlock timed cosmetics.. pretty cringy stuff.

I wonder when the Invasion mechanic gets added, that actually seems interesting.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-25-2020 07:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://v.redd.it/4fcuirwr58v51

That is absolutely outrageous. Some people are so talented it makes me sick :olo:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 10-25-2020 07:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That must have taken forever. :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-25-2020 12:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
https://v.redd.it/4fcuirwr58v51

That is absolutely outrageous. Some people are so talented it makes me sick :olo:

This

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-26-2020 03:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
I get that they decoupled the DLC from the base game so that 'everyone can play', but tbh I'm playing it now and it's not for newcomers. You start the game basically with idkfa; I'm halfway through the first map and I've already encountered two archviles, doomhunters, a couple of marauders and I'm now in my second cyberdemon fight.
Newcomers are not going to like this I'm sure.

Whew, yea, just played it a bit and they're not joking around. It ramps up to 100% really quickly

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-13-2020 01:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

At the risk of being called a pussy and everything, can someone please tell me how to beat that fucking Seraphim boss fight.

I got to the stage where he spawns a spirit enhanced Baron of Hell and Pain Elemental. There is just no way I am able to beat those. They do such enormous amounts of damage and there's only like two "normal" demons that are a potential source of health. To make things worse, there's Blood Makyrs around and when you kill the enhanced Baron of Hell and its spirit, a new Baron of Hell spawns.

What frustrates me about this is that Doom Eternal is at its best when it throws large amounts of enemies at you, including all the cannon fodder. It brings along this beautiful ballet where you balance between taking out the big guy and hopping from small guy to small guy to replenish health and ammo.

In this fight, however, there barely are any small guys, so there's no replenishing your health, so the game suddenly turns into this health conservation fight. The problem is, there's two spirit enhanced demons that are way, way faster than you and evading their attacks is almost impossible.

Those who got past the fight probably think I'm whining, but I seriously am not enjoying this fight. Not at all. It's just two enemies that need to be defeated, but all balance is thrown right out the window and that just feels frustrating.

So how did you guys beat him?

edit:
Weird thing as well, after at least 15 attempts, the game has yet to offer me the Sentinel Armor cop out mode.

edit2:
ok, never fucking mind. I just beat him :olo:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-13-2020 05:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, pussy...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-02-2020 03:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First new Master Level is finally up

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-02-2020 03:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Too little too late. I lost interest in that shit. High scores don't really do it for me.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 12-02-2020 11:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ancient Gods pt 1, right out of the gate, has been owning me

I've actually started the game again to re-learn the skills needed to do this. I feel old and slow.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-02-2020 11:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Too little too late. I lost interest in that shit. High scores don't really do it for me.

Yep this should've been a steady stream after launch instead of that cringy battlemode cosmetic shit.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-09-2021 01:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DLC Slayer Gate has got me - I can't do it, even on Hurt Me Plenty. Its outrageously difficult.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-09-2021 03:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finished the DLC...

I have to say, I didn't enjoy it. Maybe it's age catching up with me or maybe playing on the PS5 pad has dulled my skills, but I found it brutally difficult. So much so, that even on Hurt Me Plenty, it sapped all the fun out of it. Watching people do this on ultra nightmare is mind boggling.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-09-2021 09:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I struggled similarly, but had the same with the last few levels of Doom Eternal itself.
There's a sweet spot in difficulty that both the base game and the DLC hit, although the base game maintains it longer. I feel that at some point, both games tip over this point and I believe my description of the final boss fight earlier in this thread (this page, actually) is representative of what causes this in general.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-09-2021 11:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not sure; the DLC had bits in that just felt unfair to me. The base game was tough (though MUCH easier with a keyboard and mouse than with a pad) but it felt fair. It felt like if you really mastered the movement, weapon switching and the grenade/flame belch usage, you were golden. With certain parts of the DLC it feels like they've made certain parts and challenges difficult for difficulties sake. It feels like luck at times, rather than skill. It's almost like the chose to make it a challenge for the elite players rather than thinking about the average player.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 01-09-2021 04:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
It's almost like the chose to make it a challenge for the elite players rather than thinking about the average player.

That's becoming more and more of a problem these days, and personally I think it's down to streamers and to a lesser extent, those who scream loudest on official forums.

It's why you see stuff like raids in Destiny 2 (or any MMO / Game-as-a-Service) getting a ridiculous amount of developer attention, yet only being played (and playable) by an elite minority.

That this attitude is now creeping in to single player games really ticks me off.

It was also very obvious that these kind of players had influenced the development of Divinity Original Sin 2 when compared to the first game. They vocally complained that crowd control abilities were too powerful in the first game, so Larian's solution for the second was to completely invalidate such abilities.

I've not got very far in Doom Eternal at all, but that's mostly because it just feels far too gamey for my liking, especially when compared to Doom 2016. It feels like a series of combat puzzles with optimal solutions rather than, y'know, Doom.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 01-09-2021 07:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:

I've not got very far in Doom Eternal at all, but that's mostly because it just feels far too gamey for my liking, especially when compared to Doom 2016. It feels like a series of combat puzzles with optimal solutions rather than, y'know, Doom.

Same here. I wish they would have stuck a little closer to the previous formula.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-10-2021 12:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They have so many new abilities that the first batch of encounters are essentially tutorials to get you familiar with them. There's a point in the game where the fights become a lot more open. To me that's the sweet spot Eraser mentioned.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-30-2021 02:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So the ray tracing updates are out for download

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-30-2021 02:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They also come with some new master levels for peoples enjoyment

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 06-30-2021 08:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

After years of custom maps the meta game of the original doom turned into combat puzzles when it comes to high skill content. I don't think the combat puzzle aspect works as well in Eternal, but its mostly arena fights.

The DLC forces you to use specific weapons and mods for certain enemies which i dont care for. Hard counters suck

Theres some pretty good mods available including an enemy randomizer. You can start the game with all upgrades and the randomizer mod for basically a new game+ type mode

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 06-30-2021 11:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:
The DLC forces you to use specific weapons and mods for certain enemies which i dont care for. Hard counters suck

This was one of my biggest issues with the DLC

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-01-2021 03:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Had a play last night on XSX. GFX were smashing.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-01-2021 04:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Smashing :olo: :up:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-02-2021 11:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Invasion mode cancelled for now. Thanks Biden.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-03-2021 09:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I read they are going to inckude a horde mode instead, which, if I'm honest, sounds much more interesting to me if it's anything like Gears of War's horde mode.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-04-2021 12:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:up:

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-11-2021 11:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:

This very much. TAG1 introduced the Blood Maykr which to me was fine, a sort of cross between a normal demon and the Marauder. Wait for the right moment to attack. Best if you do a.headshot but any other attack will work too (unlike the marauder which more or less forces a SSG blast).
TAG2, pretty much every new type of enemy has just the one way of defeating them. A pattern or a specific weapon mod.
Stone imps would be fine if they were vulnerable to any kind of explosion, but instead it's the auto shotgun or nothing.
Armoured Baron, same deal. Screecher Zombie, you get penalised for killing them too early.

I'm being dictated what to do rather than me having any kind of control. Which to me is weird in a game that otherwise tell me to customise my weapons and runes to match my style of play.

Also there's way too much Quake in this Doom DLC, what with gothic castles and riding dragons and whatnot. But that's personal taste.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 04:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not sure where to post this, so here we are...some Doom 4 unreleased footage:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 06:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been a bit out of the Doom Eternal loop myself. Have there been significant updates recently that aren't related to Battlemode?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 08:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nope, just the same garbage BM skins. Game's been dead since the DLC.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 12:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

'dead' is a bit of a weird thing to say. It's primarily a SP game and it works pretty well as one. Horde mode is a good addition too.
No new content tho.. it doesn't need it per se but they did make it seem like there would be regular updates in the form of master levels and such.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 12:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think I like Doom2016 better than Eternal btw :paranoid:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-12-2022 02:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
'dead' is a bit of a weird thing to say. It's primarily a SP game and it works pretty well as one. Horde mode is a good addition too.
No new content tho.. it doesn't need it per se but they did make it seem like there would be regular updates in the form of master levels and such.

Yeah that's what I'm alluding to. No one was waiting years for Eternal because of Battlemode, yet that's all they're focusing on. No support for single player makes the game dead as far as I'm concerned. Has anyone here even touched it since completing the DLC?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.