Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Monster Hunter: World

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Monster Hunter: World

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-14-2018 09:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone else playing this on the PC? It's my first foray into the series and I'm enjoying it for the most part so far. The constant disconnects while I try to play with friends, however, are infuriating. I guess it surprised a lot of people with how popular it would be on day 1.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-15-2018 02:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm playing it, although haven't even attempted multiplayer yet. A couple of friends from another forum were threatening to get it, but haven't picked it up yet.

Loving it so far. While the story and characters are the usual Japanese bunkum, the world and gameplay are fantastic.
There's a huge amount of depth and variety here, with maps that have been lovingly crafted. That there's a healthy dose of simulation chucked in to the mix also helps float my boat. It's a great modern example of "emergent gameplay" with systems regularly clashing against each other and creating interesting results.

Of course, the most obvious example of this is when two or more monsters meet and start fighting. I was hunting a Great Jagras the other day when a Kulu-Ya-Ku arrived in the area and joined the fight. A couple of minutes later, that damn Anjanath crashed in to the fracas too. That I could continue to fight or back off and let them take each-other out was a great example of the choice the game offers the player.

There's a shitload to learn too, which is definitely daunting. I think I've nailed how to use my weapon of choice, the Insect Glaive now, although I'm still not 100% sure how the dust clouds left behind by Kinsect attacks work. That there are loads more weapons than the Insect Glaive that are just as varied is awesome.

Of course, this is the third "Lifestyle" game I've got on the go at the moment, with The Division and Destiny 2 being the others, and I'm beginning to feel I may have to start culling back on how much I play those if MHW's going to get the attention it deserves. Saying that though, after a couple of hunts, it's great to relax by shooting aliens in the face in Destiny 2.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 08-15-2018 04:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
A couple of friends from another forum ...

Yeah I need you to leave.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 08-15-2018 05:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I played it for a few hours and stopped because the online function wasn't working properly and I could never connect with friends.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-15-2018 06:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

:wub:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 08-16-2018 03:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Mat Linnett wrote:
A couple of friends from another forum ...

Pretty much this

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-16-2018 11:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wait... other than Q3W, there are other parts to the internet?

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 08-16-2018 02:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its fun.
Multiplayer is buggy though. Works fine when it wants, but when its in a mood good luck.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.