Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        John McCain

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: John McCain

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 08-25-2018 06:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 08-25-2018 06:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-25-2018 07:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:

Only on the TV news here last night that he was stopping treatment :(

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-25-2018 08:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good fucking riddance

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-25-2018 10:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, he can fuck off.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-26-2018 12:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jesus Christ Q3W, the man suffered from brain cancer. You shouldn't wish that upon anyone.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 08-26-2018 06:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not always big fan of his politics. But he fought for his country and paid the additional price as a POW for over 6 years.

RIP Captain...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-26-2018 07:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who the fuck wished cancer upon him? And he's not getting brownie points for being a war criminal. He was a war hawk who pushed for the invasion of Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, and Iran. Nearly a million people have died in the wars he helped start. :down:

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 08-26-2018 07:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

RIP, I agree with YG and Eraser, the man was a war hero and POW, fought for his country, he should be honored for that :(

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-26-2018 09:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'll never forget that time he sang "bomb bomb bomb, bomb bomb Iran" to the tune of "Barbara Ann" by the Beach Boys

and his amazing oven chips

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-26-2018 11:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Who the fuck wished cancer upon him? And he's not getting brownie points for being a war criminal. He was a war hawk who pushed for the invasion of Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, and Iran. Nearly a million people have died in the wars he helped start. :down:

"Good fucking riddance".
"Yeah he can fuck off".

Sounds to me like you two are applauding his death.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-26-2018 12:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My mother died of brain cancer, I know what it's like toward the end. I couldn't tell if the delirium was from the cancer or from the mophine she took for the pain. Even when she was unable to speak, she still had enough of her senses intact to try and crawl her way to the bathroom in the middle of the night so she didn't have to moan/cry for my brother or I to come help her. It was miserable and you're right, I shouldn't wish that upon anyone, which is why I didn't.

McCain had a lot of influence in Congress. Fewer people may die now that he's not pushing his agendas. I'm glad he's dead, but not *how* he died. Those are two separate things and you're conflating them.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-26-2018 01:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes, you're absolutely right that I'm applauding his death. He was a genocidal war criminal who didn't think twice about trading lives for dollars. Anyone that thinks he was some kind of hero can go feed worms with him.

Transient wrote:
My mother died of brain cancer, I know what it's like toward the end. I couldn't tell if the delirium was from the cancer or from the mophine she took for the pain. Even when she was unable to speak, she still had enough of her senses intact to try and crawl her way to the bathroom in the middle of the night so she didn't have to moan/cry for my brother or I to come help her. It was miserable and you're right, I shouldn't wish that upon anyone, which is why I didn't.

I'm really sorry your mother had to go through that, but I can guarantee you this shitheel had the best 24/7 medical care you can get in America—and he probably never paid for it with his own money.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-27-2018 10:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jesus. I realize you guys had some disagreements with his policies and positions, but the guy wasn’t conscientiously malicious with his actions. I think it’s obvious he had a decent heart and wanted the best for his country.

Disagreement with someone shouldn’t automatically ignite such hateful sentiments. People need to find a happy medium where compassion can be put forth...

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 08-27-2018 11:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi xer0s!
Welcome to the Internet!
Where the only valid opinion is an extreme one!

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 08-27-2018 11:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and most of them stink.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 08-27-2018 01:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 08-27-2018 01:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Transient wrote:

"Good fucking riddance".
"Yeah he can fuck off".

Sounds to me like you two are applauding his death.

what about him did you like Jerry? he was a human cancer

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-27-2018 01:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not saying I liked him, but saying "good riddance" about someone that just died from brain cancer seems morally wrong. The fact that he stood for things that arguably are morally wrong doesn't make it right.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 08-27-2018 01:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Agreed...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-27-2018 02:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PuFF is actually getting angry that not enough people are shitting on a dead guy's grave for his liking :olo:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 08-27-2018 02:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any way we can kill him again for Puff?

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 08-27-2018 03:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
PuFF is actually getting angry that not enough people are shitting on a dead guy's grave for his liking :olo:

Not quite. I'm angry that people are white washing the man's deeds after his death. I guess if Hermann Goring had died of brain cancer everyone would have been like, oh no don't be mean to him he had brain cancer...

wtf

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-27-2018 04:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I'm not saying I liked him, but saying "good riddance" about someone that just died from brain cancer seems morally wrong. The fact that he stood for things that arguably are morally wrong doesn't make it right.

LOL what kind of inane reasoning is that? Whose morals are offended by someone saying good riddance about his death? Are his family members lurking Q3W as they grieve? When Antonin Scalia died in 2016 and I said 'fuck that guy', I don't remember you crying about it. Then again, Scalia died in his sleep. I guess the cancer washed away McCain's misdeeds. :rolleyes:

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 08-27-2018 04:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also I find it interesting that in one case, Jerry is sure about the morality but in the other case it's arguable.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-27-2018 04:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You still haven't given your condolences about my mother's death. You are morally bankrupt, sir.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 08-27-2018 07:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I bet Eraser wouldn't bat an eye if an active serial rapist or child molester died at the tender age of 81.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-27-2018 10:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Eraser wrote:

LOL what kind of inane reasoning is that? Whose morals are offended by someone saying good riddance about his death? Are his family members lurking Q3W as they grieve? When Antonin Scalia died in 2016 and I said 'fuck that guy', I don't remember you crying about it. Then again, Scalia died in his sleep. I guess the cancer washed away McCain's misdeeds. :rolleyes:

I don't recall seeing a thread about Scalia or posting in it. It doesn't say anything about my opinion. As for morals, it's not about offending his family or anything, I just don't think it's real tasteful to say things like that about someone who just died from a terrible disease. It says something about your character when you do.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-27-2018 10:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
Also I find it interesting that in one case, Jerry is sure about the morality but in the other case it's arguable.

Because the first thing was my own opinion and the latter was an observation about McCain in general. I mean, as much as I disagree with many of the things he said, there are probably more than enough people willing to argue that he did the right thing. I'm not saying those people are right, but see the use of the word "arguably" as a disclaimer that I don't want to get involved in the discussion about how bad McCain really was or was not. It's an acknowledgement that other people may have different opinions about him, without the intention of validating those opinions

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-27-2018 10:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
You still haven't given your condolences about my mother's death. You are morally bankrupt, sir.

I'm terribly sorry about what happened to your mother and if it means anything to you, you have my condolences, but you have to acknowledge that this post of yours is a really cheap shot at nothing.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-27-2018 11:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why does it matter how he died? My opinion of the guy isn't going to change because he didn't die peacefully and painlessly. It sucks, he got a raw deal in the end. It doesn't define his life and shouldn't color your opinion of his legacy.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-27-2018 11:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
you have to acknowledge that this post of yours is a really cheap shot at nothing.

I meant it as a cheap shot at myself. The point I was trying (poorly) to make was that I wasn't fishing for sympathy. I was just using a personal anecdote to show that I take this matter seriously.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-28-2018 12:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
It [...] shouldn't color your opinion of his legacy.

It doesn't. You may have noticed I'm not saying he's a war hero and POW like Gramps and lars are doing.
I understand the sentiment that you're glad he's no longer having any political influence, but I just think there are more tasteful ways to express that sentiment.
Maybe I'm being extra sensitive to this right now because I'm dealing with a case of (brain) cancer in my family right now.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-28-2018 02:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I just think there are more tasteful ways to express that sentiment.

Well we aren't really known for our tact around here, amirite?

Eraser wrote:
Maybe I'm being extra sensitive to this right now because I'm dealing with a case of (brain) cancer in my family right now.

That sucks. Cancer comes for us all. :down:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 08-28-2018 04:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
seremtan wrote:

Not quite. I'm angry that people are white washing the man's deeds after his death. I guess if Hermann Goring had died of brain cancer everyone would have been like, oh no don't be mean to him he had brain cancer...

wtf

Herman Goering :olo:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.