Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The Facebook Dilemma

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: The Facebook Dilemma

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 10-29-2018 10:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The positive reinforcement of the News Feed is insidious; it appeals to our insecurities. :down:

Last edited by Transient on 10-31-2018 04:14 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-30-2018 08:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What is the dilemma? I deleted facebook some ~10 years ago, I never missed it. And I don't think I ever missed anything worthy. It is essentially just a forum where the user ID's are people's real names. People act just as fucking retarded or worse. I think I only ever had it for around 2 years or so. Occasionally I will go visit friends and see them browsing facebook and it looks like the GUI from a fuckin' alien spacecraft compared to how it was when I used it. Considering all the nefarious shit it is now used for (Cambridge Analytica, etc.), and the fact that a significant portion of users are bots or shells for some shady shit, I definitely don't see the appeal anymore. Back when I had it, the only legitimately cool thing about it was organizing parties.

I get the same tired excuse from all my friends who have held on all this time - "it's good for keeping in touch with relatives." Eh, I just email my relatives. Call me fucking old fashioned. If they don't respond then so be it. I don't even think it is possible for you to delete your account anymore... it just deactivates or whatever. I guess it is probably good if you own a business but for people who spend their whole life on it and upload the entirety of their existence to the internet.... :dts: :puke: :puke:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 10-30-2018 09:17 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's Facebook's dilemma, not ours. I had an account back then you needed a college email address to sign up, but I rarely used it during college, or even after. I finally deleted it about 7 years ago and I haven't missed anything I really care about. Facebook's dilemma is how to entice me back as a user while still making money.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-30-2018 11:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You said it, it's Facebook's dilemma.

Me, I rarely visit.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-31-2018 02:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol @ ever having a facebook account

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 10-31-2018 04:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There was certainly a lot of potential squandered.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-31-2018 06:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

haha, guess I should have actually watched the video before commenting. To that I say: fuck facebook's dilemma. Crash and burn, we're better off without it.

Finno-Persian Legend
Finno-Persian Legend
PostPosted: 11-02-2018 11:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unfortunately there's no better way to keep in touch with international friends so I just try to use it wisely.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 11-05-2018 02:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heard of email ?

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 11-06-2018 04:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
heard of email ?

I think I used that a few times back in the 90s. :smirk: Now all I use it for is online registering, shopping, and work. With all of its faults, Facebook is just way easier. However, I don't live on it like most people. I'm fine if I don't log in for a few days.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-07-2018 12:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scourge wrote:
I'm fine if I don't log in for a few days.

How about a month, 3 months, a year or never?

I don't use social media. I understand some need it to do their business. I don't.
End of the story.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-07-2018 06:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its a tool like any other. I use it to stay aware of when friends go on bike rides or to organize a ride with friends. Placing a taboo on using it is like placing a taboo on a hammer cause you don't like hammers.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 11-07-2018 04:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
Scourge wrote:
I'm fine if I don't log in for a few days.

How about a month, 3 months, a year or never?

I don't use social media. I understand some need it to do their business. I don't.
End of the story.

It wouldn't be the end of the world. I was fine before Facebook, and I'll be fine after. It's not something I need but I do find it useful and as I said it's tons easier and faster than email. It's the only social media I use. Sometimes I do go a couple of weeks without using it. Not that big of a deal really. It's not an all in or all out deal.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com