Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Winter is here (GOT spoilers)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Winter is here (GOT spoilers)

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 04-29-2019 01:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That episode was alright

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-29-2019 01:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
The Night King's death was the definition of anticlimactic.

The way he died, though, I thought was pretty badass for Arya. But yeah, seeing the guy deemed the main badguy for the series defeated so quickly was jarring. I guess humans are the real enemy after all, eh? :smirk:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-29-2019 06:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I liked it :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-29-2019 09:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I must admit that after defeating the Night King, fighting Cersei feels a bit, well, every day. Just mopping up the rest now. I secretly hoped the Night King would win and kill Bran, only to find that killing Bran didn't have the desired effect (whatever that may have been), kind of like how Dany burning the Night King didn't have the desired effect either
Some of our heroes die, the rest flees south and that's when Cersei comes in.

But alas, the showrunners have different ideas. Having said that, I still don't understand Bran's role in all this.

My major poiint of annoyance with this episode was that Dany's dragon getting overrun felt a bit dumb.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 04-29-2019 10:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mazda is right, all that low visibility nighttime shit and total chaos that doesn't allow the viewer to even know whats going on got a bit tiring, especially with so little dialog. And whyyyy always the sense of hopelessness right up to the last 2 minutes and then deus ex machina? A bit lazy. You had a whole bunch of badass NK lieutenants there, why not make some cool sequences of maybe Bienne or any of the other friendly heroes fighting one of them? There was so many missed opportunities. I felt like the little girl had a better action sequence with the giant than any of the other main characters.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-30-2019 04:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd have liked it better if I could have seen wtf was going on. About 25% of that entire episode was just a black fucking screen. The rest I could barely make out what was going on. I was watching it during the day and the light reflections off the TV made it irritating as hell to see but there's so many assholes spoiling the show and facebook and everywhere else I HAD to watch it then or risk getting it spoiled. And the way it ended was lame as hell, like that's all it takes to kill off the army of the dead? Why the night king even enter the castle before making sure shit was locked down? Fucking amateur.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-30-2019 05:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched it with the curtains closed on a relatively bright screen so I had no problem with the darkness at all.

All in all, there sure are a few things to complain about in the episode, but all in all, I think the episode had way more positives than negatives and for most negatives, it can be understandable why they did it that way.

Right when they episode ended, I was feeling a rush, like holy crap, what a rollercoaster ride, that was awesome, 10 out of 10. But after giving it a bit more thought, I recognize there's some issues to consider so it's an 8.5/10 at best, but still an awesome episode imo.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-30-2019 05:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 04-30-2019 08:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Right when they episode ended, I was feeling a rush, like holy crap, what a rollercoaster ride, that was awesome, 10 out of 10. But after giving it a bit more thought, I recognize there's some issues to consider so it's an 8.5/10 at best, but still an awesome episode imo.

Same thing happened to me, but then you wake up the next morning and think it over and start to notice all the shit.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-30-2019 09:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I’m pretty well satisfied. We learned in Episode 2 that the night king’s purpose was to kill humanity and all memory of it. The children of the forest created him to kill humans, but they got out of control. Bran is the memory bank or library of all mankind. So he’s the NK’s main objective. Bran has been piecing plot points together to ensure that exact moment happens where Arya kills the NK.

As for the non-deaths, GoT has never been a “killed in battle” kind of show. Yes there have been a few, but for the most part they were not main characters. It’s more interesting for the characters to be killed off in more interesting ways with greater circumstances. Yes, there were several times during the battle that it looked like people should have died, but that creates the suspense.

The only thing that bothered me was the black. I’ve got a pretty decent TV and it was wasted on this episode...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-30-2019 09:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
Don Carlos wrote:
Correct. The fight was massive...Helms Deep on ice steroids.

The sudden shift from World War Z to Walking Dead was so jarring and characters were all over the place with very little cohesion.

I disagree. 90 minutes of outside battle would have gotten to be very monotonous. Taking the fight inside with Arya broke up the sequence nicely I thought. Plus she had to meet the red woman in there...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-30-2019 10:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
[img]

I'm sure the brightness and colors were balanced with a movie theater in mind, not a home TV set. Pretty much every human on Earth is complaining about the darkness of the episode, I'm not sure how they let this oversight get past them. :shrug:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-30-2019 11:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The cinematographer said in an interview that the brightness was exactly as intended and correct. People are now speculating it may have looked perfect on their million dollar studio equipment but they didn't take poor people's home TV's into account.

I'm not sure what happened. I watched it on my laptop in a relatively dark (not but not pitch black, just curtains closed and mood lighting on) room and it looked pretty good to me. Maybe having a screen close to your face with minimal glare was my lucky break here.

I wonder how many people are complaining because they watched it in a sunlit room, how many are complaining because their setup is wrong and how many are complaining because they didn't really have a problem while watching, but now see all the complaints and think that they had the problem as well, because, lets face it, the episode was dark due to being at night with the Night King attaacking using a storm that blocks out light. It was supposed to be dark.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-01-2019 02:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For me it was strictly because I watched it during the daytime and had glare even with the curtains closed. I wanted to wait but knew someone online would spoil it.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-01-2019 03:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Another issue might've been compression. People with poorian internet connections might've had a heavily compressed stream. I torrented the episode and pulled in a 5gb 1080p version which was pretty crisp.

I also saw versions offered for download that were below 500mb (labelled as HD but I assume they were 480p at best). I imagine people watching that having a hard time seeing anything at all.

Edit:
lol, look at this, it's what someone got through cable TV. WTF, right?
https://m.imgur.com/a/GG8s524

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-01-2019 05:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I stream 4K from HBO directly.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-01-2019 06:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser:
While I'm not an editor, I am responsible for building and supporting post production solutions such as edit suites and the supporting network infrastructure.
There's an interesting disconnect between audio finishing suites and video finishing suites.
Audio finishers always have a reference monitor to hand; a traditionally crappy speaker, made to sound awful, so the operator can judge how their final mix sounds on bad hardware.

Video finishing suites don't feature something like this. Sure, they'll occasionally have a wall mounted telly to give them some idea of final output, but most finishing suites have what we refer to as grade 1 monitors. These are incredibly high quality monitors with exceptional colour reproduction. Note that this doesn't mean colours look better on them; rather, they accurately show the editor the colour of the scene they're working with.

There's an interesting industry blog post relating to the problems with the last episode of GoT over at RedShark.
It highlights the need for there to be some form of low bandwidth output monitor in finishing suites, and a normal telly output isn't enough. It needs to be something that takes your uncompressed or high bandwidth codec media and proceeds to squash it down a low bandwidth pipe in real-time, emulating the end viewer experience.

But at the moment, I can guarantee that none of the post production companies I work with are even contemplating using something like this. The obsession is with quality in the suite, not for the end user.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-01-2019 10:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That episode looked great on my TV...I guess the poors need to upgrade...

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 05-02-2019 11:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I personally LOVED the battle of winterfell. People are complaining it wasn't shot like they did with battle of the bastards or battle of blackwater. But I think this was the only way they could have shot this. However, I don't agree with the strategy they put to attack white walkers and sending DOTHRAKI's from front (which is another debate). Anyway coming to the topic again, whenever they give screen time to the night king or white walkers they always added a touch of nightfall to it. This is how they build the terror of whitewalkers. We never saw them coming out in sun and I was certainly not expecting the battle at day time. :D So stop with the complaining already. We are half way through. Just 3 more episodes and then we are going to miss the anticipation and preparation we always had for this show. :(

Looking forward to episode 4 and 5 and as Emilia Clarke has said, that these episodes are longer than normal and are KA-BOOM sort so I can not wait for Sunday to arrive. Also, I recently noticed that there's a option for HBO subs on Amazon prime, searched a little bit on it and I find out that you can watch game of thrones on amazon prime but its region bound. Not all can play and watch. How are you all watching Got anyway?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-03-2019 01:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
I stream 4K from HBO directly.

Streamed = compression

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-03-2019 10:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Compression algorithms are getting better and better all the time.

Though I have just got series 1 of GOT on 4k disc, so I will let you know how it compares to my Sky Q download by the end of the bank holiday.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-03-2019 10:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can tell when it's compressed vs when I'm getting a full 4K resolution. I'm not saying there's no compression at 4k either just that the image was crisp. It wasn't the quality of the image, it was purely screen glare that was my issue. All I'm saying is anything except a perfect viewing experience resulted in a non viewable episode.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-04-2019 05:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Perfection... Me...I win...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-04-2019 10:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought the episode was pretty good. At the end of the day it is just TV so some concessions have to be made. I still prefer the books. But I think they did a pretty good job and that battle scene was something else. That shit near the end with Jon Snow running around trying to avoid that undead dragon was insane :olo: I liked the behind the scenes where they talked about how they accomplished that undead dragon stuff. They even went so far as to design and build a mechatronic dragon head that spewed fire so the movement and flow of the flames looked realistic. Dedication!

The episode wasn't too dark for me... I think a lot of people who are bitching either don't know how to setup their TV, or they had a piss-poor stream. I streamed it on Crave in Canada which is probably a sub-par stream already, and it was fine. I downloaded a 1080p version of it later and it was even better again. I am sure the Bluray version of it will be way better.

Looking forward to seeing Cersei getting crushed :up:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-04-2019 11:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am used to GoT episodes being super dark, so I didn't really notice anything out of the ordinary while I was watching. There have been plenty of episodes in the past that were as dark as this one. I guess I just got used to it. :shrug:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-05-2019 10:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Watched a little of it on one of our older TV's. Lol couldn't see shit...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-05-2019 12:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your eyesight is failing you, old man

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-05-2019 01:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks fine on the new TV...

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-05-2019 08:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why wouldn't Daenerys just fly straight up past the trajectory of the ballistas and dive to strafe the shit out of the ships safely from behind? Poor Drogon is definitely dying in episode 6 :(

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-06-2019 03:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm wondering how she didn't see the huge ass balista on top of the army of ships headed her way. Like hey, those look like they could shoot me, oh well, let's just fly around playfully near enemy ships anyway. I feel like they're condensing episodes, like they could have had multiple seasons worth of stuff but they're instead trying to compact everything into 6 episodes. I'm guessing one of the main actors or directors is tired of it and just wants to do something else so this is the compromise.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-06-2019 09:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah it's weird the way the scene was laid out too because at first it seemed like they were in the open sea approaching Dragonstone, then all of a sudden there's this huge cliff wall hiding an entire fleet of ships that Daenerys couldn't see from way up in the sky. Lazy and poor writing for sure, but Rhaegal's death was heartbreaking :(

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-06-2019 12:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:
but Rhaegal's death was heartbreaking :(

You know which dragon is which? You're one step ahead of me.
But I guess that's why it wasn't heartbreaking to me. I thought the death was kind of pointless and out-of-the-blue. Like they needed to get rid of a dragon because it wouldn't fit some kind of future narrative. Or because they used it to give the viewer the impression that Cersei really is dangerous. She really really is, please believe us before we're going to have our heroes completely crush her in episode 5!

Edit:
tbh, I'm more heartbroken about poor Tormund

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-06-2019 12:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh yeah, and instead of using his farseer powers to say "eh, Euron teleported his fleet to Dragonstone again", Bran decided to show off his vintage hipster wheelchair.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-06-2019 12:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-06-2019 02:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Robert did all that drinking in less than a season, that's impressive :olo:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.