Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Winter is here (GOT spoilers)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Winter is here (GOT spoilers)

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-20-2019 08:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty meh, but then how do you end something that has been as good as GOT has over the last 7 years or so.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 05-20-2019 09:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you don't have something epic, fall back on the predictable thing everyone wants and just make Jon Snow king? That's how you do it. Even if it deviates from the books. Pick anyone who had an incredible story arc over 8 seasons and not the guy who the show writers barely cared to explain.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-20-2019 09:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I want to know how much more involved he is in the books...so I will buy them and read them

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-20-2019 09:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So Sam tried to invent democracy and was laughed at for it, and instead everyone agrees to end the birthright monarchy and start a new government instead. I'm not sure why Gendry even had a say, he was given his title by Dany like 2 days before she died or something. And Yara and the guy from Dorne just agreed to the new king right as Sansa opts for autonomy, why wouldn't they also want to be independent? They all just agree that Tyrion, who has been wrong this whole time and is a prisoner for the umpteenth time, should decide who becomes kind of the land. WTF.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-20-2019 10:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm just glad Jon's entire backstory and heritage ultimately had no impact on the story whatsoever.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 05-20-2019 11:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Great show overall - The battle of winterfell episode was stellar.

Too much cringeworthy fanservice in the last two seasons.

The show should have ended with daenerys' fascist speech.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-21-2019 01:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

S8 - The Shower of Shit.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-22-2019 11:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The last episode ties up some of the loose ends but was underwhelming. I think the problem was that all the action from E5 really dulled the finale. I think they should have put the last two episodes together as one mega episode so that you're not waiting for a week for some non-existent reveal to tie up the entire story.

It's like taking the extended edition of Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, but splicing everything after the defeat of Sauron into a 4th part. It's just 40 minutes of frolicking hobbits and slow-mo reunions and farewells. I didn't need to see half an episode of council meetings and politics.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-22-2019 12:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I thought it might be worth me putting some words down on series 8 and what I think of it, as exactly nobody will give a fuck and the likelihood of it being read is slim.

The Story

I think where the story went is absolutely fine. Everyone wanting Dany and Jon to live happily ever after have not been watching the last 7 series with their eyes open. There are no happily ever afters in GOT; there are people who fair better than others in the end, but they've gone through a lot of shit in the past to get them there.

Sansa, for instance, has watch her Dad been beheaded by her would be husband...then be tortured by him, then humiliated by Tywin/Cersei by making her marry Tyrion (not Loras). Oh, there's the news that her mother and brother have been done in at The Red Wedding of course, which must make the prospect of watching the wedding of Joffrey to Margaery Tyrell all the more appealing. Then when Joffrey is killed, she is blamed along with Tyrion and has to do one to. Then lets just fast forward through Little Finger and watching him push her Aunt, who was once again horrible to Sansa, through a massive hole in the floor to her demise, Little Finger wedding her off to Ramsay who rapes and bullies her constantly (including making a once family friend say sorry to her for killing her brothers) right through the fights where she see's more of her friends and family murdered, her brother fall in love with a power hungry woman with dragons who he ends up killing and getting imprisoned to the happy bit where she is now Queen of the North and she has won.

Now, that...that is not a happy tale. That is not something someone would want to live through. Her being Queen of the North is an OK outcome for someone who has suffered unimaginably from the very start of this story. And the story is littered with characters like this. Happiness is very much in short supply in The 7 Kingdoms.

Bran getting the throne is also fine; he should have just been called "Bran the Bastard" rather than "Bran the Broken". He has the powers to see what could happen and guided events in which to destroy his would be enemies and leave him in total control, all while pretended to be mostly asleep or completing marathon log impersonations. It wouldn't have surprised me if Bran the Bastard was warging into all sorts of people to fuck them over and gain an advantage. Why warg into a dragon when I could control the dragon rider and make her look like a fucking lunatic surrounded by crispy fried peasant and angry cockless men. Nobody in their right mind would let her carry on...cheers Jon. Now fuck off back the wall that serves no purpose (given it's got a massive fucking hole blasted into it by an Ice Dragon) to twiddle your thumbs because your old boy is off limits.

The execution

In short, the execution of series 8, while having huge amounts of potential was White Horse Shit terrible. The rushed nature to try and make everything fit into 6 episodes broke what should have been an excellent and dark end to an already dark story. All of the elements were there, and I have full faith in G R R Martin nailing it in the books; the reintroduction of character development, tight well crafted dialogue and a fleshed out story line will make it all worth it. But the show, the show shot it's icy, fiery load early doors then rolled over and went to sleep without so much as a sniff of pillow talk. The shows writers had their minds so focused on their Star Wars jaunt that they went full General Hux for Danys speech:

It's a travesty that such an amazing TV show has been wound up in such a disrespectful fashion. It's disrespectful to the actors who have invested so much into their characters, G R R Martin, who has lovingly crafted the world they were depicting on screen and to every single person who has watched with wide eyes at the unfolding of such unexpected and relentless drama.

Finally, the writers should be ashamed at managing to ruin something so entirely, while actually having all of the raw materials to create something genuinely remarkable.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-22-2019 01:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In scenes like that I always wonder how the guys in the back hear anything at all.

"I think she said, blessed are the cheesemakers."

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-22-2019 02:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-22-2019 04:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LOL pretty spot on. :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-22-2019 11:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
So I thought it might be worth me putting some words down on series 8 and what I think of it, as exactly nobody will give a fuck and the likelihood of it being read is slim.

~snip~

I pretty much agree with all you've said.
The story arcs are fine it's just that they've been rushed way too much.
Dany's descend into madness should've taken much more time.
We shouldn't seen Jon being completely mentally torn up between being loyal (and loving) Dany and realizing she's going crazy. It would be better if Jon makes one last ditch attempt to save Dany, realize it's hopeless and then in some act of desperation kill her.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-22-2019 11:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:

It's just a rehash or a rehash of a rehash of the same parroted complaints everyone is spewing on the Internet. It's not original. It's not clever. It's not funny.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-22-2019 11:46 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-23-2019 03:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:

It's just a rehash or a rehash of a rehash of the same parroted complaints everyone is spewing on the Internet. It's not original. It's not clever. It's not funny.

What are you smoking, it's fucking hilarious because it's true. Season 8 was a total fucking mess. If the show wasn't finished I'd fire the writers.

To put into context how utterly fucking terrible the last season is, you should recall the scene where Hodor holds the door for Bran. That fucking season finale blew everyone's mind. That's where the bar was set in terms of expectations of a series finale.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 05-23-2019 03:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That episode wasn’t a finale. It was Season 6 episode 5. Right smack dab in the middle of the season.

And you were trying to make such a powerful point. Dang...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-23-2019 04:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Really? I legit thought it was a season finale. Either way, my point is that kind of writing and story telling is what the audience was expecting. Definitely not what we got.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-23-2019 10:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Captain Mazda wrote:

Your post is a rehash or a rehash of a rehash of the same parroted complaints about the complaints everyone is spewing on the Internet. It's not original. It's not clever. It's not funny.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 05-23-2019 04:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Captain Mazda wrote:

It was funny and I've never watched GOT.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 05-23-2019 07:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can't afford HBO?... Understandable...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 05-28-2019 06:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:

:olo: :olo: :owned:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.