Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Any Whiskey fans?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Any Whiskey fans?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-25-2019 11:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Obviously not our premium member, who everyone will naturally be a fan of :D

I am planning on buying a friend a gift for doing me quite a few solids of late and I'm after some advice/recommendations. I was looking at an 18 year old Macallan (about £250 to clarify budget). Does anyone have any strong recommendations of what would be comparable to this: https://www.whiskyshop.com/macallan-18- ... riple-cask

Cheers :)

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 10-25-2019 11:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not a scotch but try some Eagle Rare bourbon if you can find it.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 10-25-2019 12:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like Knob Creek.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-25-2019 01:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'll bet you do :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-25-2019 01:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's just perfect :olo:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 10-25-2019 02:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Woodford Reserve is good too.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-25-2019 05:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cock jokes aside, it’s no surprise Gramps choice in Whiskey is as classless as they come...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-25-2019 11:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:

I don't mind this personally, but I wouldn't call it a gifting bottle. You can pick up a bottle of that for £25 around these parts

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-26-2019 01:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I live in the US and use this website, which is simple but finds some great prices. The only downside in your case is that you have to know what you're looking for already.
http://www.wine-searcher.com/find/twent ... y/1/usa-ca

If you have 5 different things that might be up your alley, that site will help narrow down which is the best deal.

However if you have no clue what you're even potentially looking for, it might be like finding a needle in a haystack,

You can't go wrong with any Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, whatever 15,18,21 year whiskeys. I have bough a few of those bottles as gifts(I do not drink, ironically) and every time the person was like "wow" as far as the taste and uniqueness of the gift.

Good luck man, the drinking world is a giant rabbit hole of potential buys...

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 10-26-2019 01:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://remedyliquor.com/spirits/glenfi ... h-750.html

I don't even know if this site works internationally, IIRC you are in Britain?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-26-2019 11:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sure I like Australians.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 10-28-2019 04:16 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Probably a solid choice. I drink the 12 regularly. I’ve never had the 18 though. I’d rather have 3 bottles of 12 :) Love sherry cask.

Aberlour is another speyside that you might like.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 10-28-2019 04:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
Not a scotch but try some Eagle Rare bourbon if you can find it.

puff knows what’s up. :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-29-2019 06:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:

I am planning on buying a friend a gift for doing me quite a few solids of late and I'm after some advice/recommendations. I was looking at an 18 year old Macallan (about £250 to clarify budget). Does anyone have any strong recommendations of what would be comparable to this: https://www.whiskyshop.com/macallan-18- ... riple-cask

So what was the outcome Don Carlos?

I like a drop of Dimple 12 Year Old Scotch Whisky occasionally and prompted to comment here as I finished the last drop last night.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-22-2022 02:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I visited a new bottle shop the other day....

and found this!

Peanut Butter Whiskey! Has anyone seen anything like it?

I haven't bought but I am considering, if just for the bottle :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-22-2022 09:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I must say that I'm not actually an alcohol drinker, but when it comes, I do not resist :) I mostly do beer, but I've tried bourbon, Jameson, too. And it tasted good. I also tried rum and slivovica, and I like it, too.

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 05-24-2022 02:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
YourGrandpa wrote:

I don't mind this personally, but I wouldn't call it a gifting bottle. You can pick up a bottle of that for £25 around these parts

Old Forester Birthday if you can find it. It sells cheap from the Old Forester but there's limited quantities and it's hard to get your hands on one first-hand which means you have to pay a premium for the bottle. I got mine for about $300 USD. It's a great bourbon and rare but not too pricey like a Pappy Van Winkle ($1000+ USD)

https://www.oldforester.com/products/ol ... y-bourbon/

If you're looking for a good bourbon with a low price point, I highly recommend Statesman. Despite the low price point, I found the taste and experience similar to a Pappy Van Winkle 10 year.
https://www.oldforester.com/products/ol ... n-bourbon/

Elmer T. Lee is a fantastic bourbon with a $40 USD price point but the challenge is finding them. Even in Kentucky, they fly off the shelves as soon as they hit them. They can be found but rarely for $40 USD. One of my favorite drinks is a Elmer T Lee old fashioned.
https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/ ... arrel.html

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-24-2022 10:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I seldom pass on a chance to have some Nikka Days or Barrel
If you've never had it, import it and be amazed.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-24-2022 01:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"Importing some nikka's"

I'm sure that's a smart thing to say out loud

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-24-2022 09:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
"Importing some nikka's"

I'm sure that's a smart thing to say out loud

Now that you mentioned it, and I tried to say it in my mind, it does feel a little bit risky :olo:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-25-2022 01:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Don Carlos wrote:

So what was the outcome Don Carlos?

I like a drop of Dimple 12 Year Old Scotch Whisky occasionally and prompted to comment here as I finished the last drop last night.

Sorry buddy, I completely missed this.

I ended up getting the Macallan 18; it's now pride of place at my friends who will only break it out on very special occasions

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 05-25-2022 06:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I will research this Macallan 18 brew you mention but wonder if it is available here :smirk:

I did lash out and buy that Peanut Butter Whiskey! It has a gorgeous nutty aroma and flavour and really smooth to the taste so I suggest, if you see it about your watering hole, grab a bottle :up: Oh, and not peanut by any means IMO :D

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 06-04-2022 12:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
I seldom pass on a chance to have some Nikka Days or Barrel
If you've never had it, import it and be amazed.

Have you had the Coffey Malt? good shit.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.