Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        no coronavirus thread ?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: no coronavirus thread ?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-22-2020 01:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Over 300k worldwide confirmed to have it.

Does anyone here actually know someone that has it? Seems like the odds are there...

I know someone who is friends with someone who has it. She is mid 30s and has been rushed into hospital with breathing difficulties and is now on life support. The person in question was super fit and healthy and has been showing symptoms for 5 days.

It's been a massive wake up call for me to the seriousness of this thing.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-22-2020 01:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, that's scary. I've been worried about my father, he's had pneumonia recently and he's 67....

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-22-2020 02:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One of my co-workers' brothers just died a few days ago from it. Not sure about the details surrounding him, didn't really feel like asking. I think this week is going to get a lot worse. And yeah I have been hearing horror stories about what it does to your lungs.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-22-2020 02:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Wow, that's scary. I've been worried about my father, he's had pneumonia recently and he's 67....

Tell your pa to stay the fuck indoors man. :alert:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-22-2020 02:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
xer0s wrote:
................ off to do the weekly shop soon. Be interesting to see what's happening out there. Not mentioned too, they allow the older people to shop early here between 7 and 8AM.

Well that was interesting. I was there a couple of minute early to see all these seniors lined up about 50 or so and observing what we call here social distancing' i.e. 1m apart except for obvious couples. When the doors opened they all funneled in near shoulder to shoulder, then lined up for the antibacterial wipes for the trolley handles & hands. I waited for the rush to die down.

Staff checked for senior cards on entry and one young chap very nervous was asked to return at 8am.

Shelves weren't too badly stocked and they had buy limits on 'essentials' like bread, toilet paper, milk even pasta sauce. There was no sugar or flour to be had. I couldn't buy frozen berries of any sort.

As I left they had 2 security guards placed at the entrance.

I expect this morning will be the norm for months ahead. What's it like your way?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-22-2020 03:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Over 300k worldwide confirmed to have it.

Does anyone here actually know someone that has it? Seems like the odds are there...

I know two confirmed in their 40s. Both ok and on the mend but said it was rough.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-22-2020 03:37 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did they go to the hospital?

Since it’s inevitable that most of us will get it, I’m wondering how to proceed once you’re confirmed positive. Just ride it out and if you start having trouble breathing, then go to the hospital? Do cold and flu meds help with the symptoms? I read somewhere that taking ibuprofen is a bad idea. I really haven’t seen any guidelines for people that test positive other than stay away from people...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-22-2020 08:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:

Since it’s inevitable that most of us will get it, I’m wondering how to proceed once you’re confirmed positive. Just ride it out and if you start having trouble breathing, then go to the hospital? Do cold and flu meds help with the symptoms? I read somewhere that taking ibuprofen is a bad idea. I really haven’t seen any guidelines for people that test positive other than stay away from people...

Be nice to hear answers as I am sure 80-90% will get it sooner or later... So much information and misinformation about :smirk:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-22-2020 09:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:

The ibuprofen thing is bs. Having said that ibuprofen is An anti inflammation drug and not something you'd take to fight a viral infection.
If I were you, I'd only contact your GP when you're having trouble. He'll tell you what to do.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-22-2020 11:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just announced Australian state borders closed and all football is off for the remainder of the year :!: :!:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-23-2020 09:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The FT has fucked it’s paywall off on its detailed daily report.

https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-23-2020 09:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

China, Russia and India are definitely not reporting accurate numbers.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-23-2020 10:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks to all the mouthbreathers who just fucked it up for the rest of us in the Netherlands.

400 euro fine if you're outside in a group. 4000 for business that allow it.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-23-2020 11:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah i'm getting sick of these "it's just a sore throat bro" fucklords

they're the reason the govt will eventually go full house arrest

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-23-2020 12:14 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:

India is the country I worry about most given large parts are just poverty pits with millions of people on top of each other. Couple that with the general lack of sanitation and medical facilities and you have a very serious problem.

Last edited by Don Carlos on 03-23-2020 12:18 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-23-2020 12:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:

Due in 15 minutes...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-23-2020 01:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Ferrao10 wrote:
Netflix and Youtube are going to reduce their bitrates for european customers/streamers. No more UHD anymore only HD and, in times of heavy usage, SD.

Yeah but that's showing EU incompetence once again. Dutch ISP's have all made statements about how this is nonsense. But yeah, I guess people in Spain, Italy or wherever with their SHITTY Internet infrastructure can't cope with Netflix's awesomeness.

Think of Paris' banlieuses. Think of Housing projects in general. 100+ households in one tower connected to one cheap distribution box.
When those collapse because of too much traffic because of total lockdown shit will hit the fan. It's actually very insightful.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-23-2020 01:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
Eraser wrote:

Yeah but that's showing EU incompetence once again. Dutch ISP's have all made statements about how this is nonsense. But yeah, I guess people in Spain, Italy or wherever with their SHITTY Internet infrastructure can't cope with Netflix's awesomeness.

Think of Paris' banlieuses. Think of Housing projects in general. 100+ households in one tower connected to one cheap distribution box.
When those collapse because of too much traffic because of total lockdown shit will hit the fan. It's actually very insightful.

For France, sure, but don't bother us Dutchee Master Race people with your poorian problems.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-23-2020 01:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm not french. I am european, just as you should be.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-23-2020 01:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:
Thanks to all the mouthbreathers who just fucked it up for the rest of us in the Netherlands.

400 euro fine if you're outside in a group. 4000 for business that allow it.

I'm not surprised though.

Did you see the press conference by the way? I'm not a Rutte fan, far from, but I think he handles this crisis very well. He's showing some real statesmanship. However, this on ly contrasts the journalism on display even more. Those journo's were a bunch of incompetent morons who had the intellect of a baboon. At one point even asking literally the same question another journalist had asked 90 seconds before.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-23-2020 01:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
I'm not french. I am european, just as you should be.

Oh please :rolleyes:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-23-2020 01:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OK. Why exactly would a Netherlander resist the eropean union? Not really the toßpic but whatever

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-23-2020 02:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, in the meantime, all of Germany has agreed to limit public gatherings to just two persons. Except for family.
All public stores are closed nation-wide. No more restaurants, bars etc. No more hair-dressers or similar, No more shisha-clubs, D'Oh.
Groceries, banks, post, restaurants for delivery are open as far as I know. I lost reality really.
And I don't care.
My home is my castle.

And nope... no guns you fuckwiths Americans.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 03-23-2020 03:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
seremtan wrote:

Due in 15 minutes...

REMAIN INDOORS

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 03-23-2020 04:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On another note, I just called my insurance company to extend the hire car because of repairs delays and spent 25 minutes on hold. When answered I asked "how's it going there?" Busy as you'd expect. Staff explained their Manila call centre closed and they were now taking their traffic :smirk:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 03-23-2020 09:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure we can still go out on the boat when the shelter in place order goes into effect tomorrow. If they say no, I'm still doing it... Cuz it's completely safe...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-23-2020 11:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ferrao10 wrote:
OK. Why exactly would a Netherlander resist the eropean union? Not really the toßpic but whatever

lol, disagree with one thing and suddenly you're anti-EU

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-23-2020 11:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:

FFS :olo:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-24-2020 01:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Κracus wrote:

You dont think that two of the worlds most secretive countries would lie about this? Especially as a show of 'power' ?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-24-2020 05:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
I'm pretty sure we can still go out on the boat when the shelter in place order goes into effect tomorrow. If they say no, I'm still doing it... Cuz it's completely safe...

Yea boats are well known to be the best places to hide out during this pandemic. You should book a cruise, I hear they're the safest.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-24-2020 08:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Doombrain wrote:

You dont think that two of the worlds most secretive countries would lie about this? Especially as a show of 'power' ?

Wait, you talking to me or Rob?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-24-2020 08:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One of my colleagues has succumb to Covid-19. I didn’t know him, he was in our IT department. Don’t know his age, but had pre-teen children, so couldn’t have been that old. It’s getting real...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-24-2020 09:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://gizmodo.com/man-dies-wife-criti ... 1842465268

Quote:
An Arizona man has died and his wife is in critical condition after listening to Donald Drumpf promote anti-malarial drug chloroquine as a treatment for the novel coronavirus and deciding to take some themselves, CNN reported on Monday evening.

In an interview with NBC News’ Vaughn Hillyard, the woman in question affirmed that she had heard the Food and Drug Administration had not approved the drug. But she added that “Drumpf kept saying it was basically pretty much a cure ... Oh my god. Don’t take anything. Don’t believe anything. Don’t believe anything the president says, and his people, because they don’t know what they’re talking about ... This is a heartache I’ll never get over.”

:alert:

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-24-2020 10:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Idiots

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-24-2020 10:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, they're all around us. Part of me thinks it serves them right for taking fish medicine, but nobody deserves to die because they're stupid and afraid. :(

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.