Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        no coronavirus thread ?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: no coronavirus thread ?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-02-2020 03:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Eraser wrote:
Had an argument with some guy at work.

Let him have the bloody elevator, but just before you let the doors close, hit every single elevator button before exiting. Fucking amateur!

@ Eraser .. Yes the sheer the rudeness of some people :smirk:
@ obsidian .. An evil but bloody brilliant idea :up:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-02-2020 04:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/21/21223585/ ... s-children
Quote:
It’s not possible to boil down the value of education to just dollars and cents. But economists who’ve tried generally have found that in high-income countries, an extra year of education is worth about a 10 percent boost in income.

If you take that literally, the implication is that two or three months worth of school closure will cost today’s cohort of schoolchildren thousands of dollars a year in lost earnings for their entire lives. Those thousands of dollars multiplied across millions of kids add up to tens of billions in lost income each year for decades.

That’s a bit simplistic, especially because, as experts all seem to agree, the harms of school closures won’t be felt evenly. But any back-of-the-envelope calculation suggests that closures ought to loom larger in the national discourse as a costly aspect of social distancing — albeit one whose costs accrue over the long term rather than the immediate future.

All that being said, I still think remote learning is the best option. In-person classes aren't worth the risk. It's a no-win situation, sadly. :(

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-02-2020 10:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
You think your kid will become a janitor instead of a doctor because he/she had to wait 6 months to get back into school?

It’s obviously an exaggeration. But what do you realistically feel could happen with a 6 month absence from school? And are those consequences worth killing some people. Because ultimately, more people will die because children are back at school...

I'm not weighing school suspension vs corona consequences, thats why I singled that sentence out.
Fact is that suspending any developing skill for 6 months will set you back. Just ask anyone with a hobby or workout schedule ;)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-02-2020 11:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
You think your kid will become a janitor instead of a doctor because he/she had to wait 6 months to get back into school?

It’s obviously an exaggeration. But what do you realistically feel could happen with a 6 month absence from school? And are those consequences worth killing some people. Because ultimately, more people will die because children are back at school...

It's easy to say this about kids who are doing just fine in school. They'll adapt to remote/home schooling and be just fine.
However, kids who have learning disabilities or are from unstable homes will have a problem. There have been shockingly many cases here in the Netherlands where kids just disappeared off the radar during the lockdown period.

I don't know if it's realistic to compare American schools to Dutch schools, but primary schools have opened up here since early june and highschools have slowly been opening up since then (all highschools are opened up fully since the summer holidays). So far, there hasn't been any indication that this has led to an increase of corona cases.

It might work out differently in the US, but what's very apparant from an outsider's point of view is that everything related to coronavirus has been politicized over there. Oftentimes it doesn't even seem like a scale, it's black and white. Either you're in favor of measures taken, or vehemently against them. On various sites (most notably Reddit) I've seen people say it's a way of the republicans (and Trump in particular) to accelerate the spreading of the virus, or to disrupt the school system, or to willingly kill off people. They say that it, without a doubt, is going to be a disaster and we'll be seeing an enormous boom in cases in the US because of this.

Frankly, there is absolutely no proof that this is the case or a reason to think it will be. But yeah, in the US you're either on one end of the spectrum or the other end, so if the opposite side decides something, it must be fought tooth and nail. And that's where you all are going wrong in this.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-06-2020 10:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cases worldwide

29 August 24,912,408

2 September 25,900,741

7 September 27,296,365

Total deaths
• World 887,602
• USA 193,253
• Brazil 126,686
• India 71,687

Source #1 Source #2

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 09-08-2020 05:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

getting kids back into schools is more about getting adults back to work (school = childcare) than the children's education

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-08-2020 09:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

When was the last time SOM posted?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-08-2020 10:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

May...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 09-08-2020 11:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Gay...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-08-2020 12:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://jalopnik.com/results-are-in-stu ... 1844982613

Quote:
Now, anyone with a bit of sense knew this was going to happen. What’s new is that the report gives us a sense of just how bad this really was. According to the study, Sturgis accounted for a 35 percent increase in cases in South Dakota, and raised rates significantly in every county that visitors returned to. Enough that for the month in which Sturgis took place, the rally was responsible for a fifth of the cases in the entire country

Looks like Gwamps' idiot biker friends cost the economy at least $12bn when they rode head-first into the pandemic during the rally. 'Muricuh, amirite? :dork:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-08-2020 03:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yep, second wave here too :|

also: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54066831

Quote:
England's chief medical officer, Prof Chris Whitty, said Covid-19 rates are now rising, especially amongst people aged between the ages of 17 and 29.

what have young people been up to recently that could possibly make them a significant vector for Covid?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-08-2020 03:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 09-09-2020 07:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Packed office, no masks, still in phase-1 reopening. Gotta love Floridians....morons!

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 09-09-2020 10:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
yep, second wave here too :|

also: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54066831

Quote:
England's chief medical officer, Prof Chris Whitty, said Covid-19 rates are now rising, especially amongst people aged between the ages of 17 and 29.

what have young people been up to recently that could possibly make them a significant vector for Covid?

Gee, I don't know...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-09-2020 11:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/09/politics ... index.html

Quote:
President Donald Drumpf admitted he knew weeks before the first confirmed US coronavirus death that the virus was dangerous, airborne, highly contagious and "more deadly than even your strenuous flus," and that he repeatedly played it down publicly, according to legendary journalist Bob Woodward in his new book "Rage."

"This is deadly stuff," Drumpf told Woodward on February 7.

In a series of interviews with Woodward, Drumpf revealed that he had a surprising level of detail about the threat of the virus earlier than previously known. "Pretty amazing," Drumpf told Woodward, adding that the coronavirus was maybe five times "more deadly" than the flu.

Does this surprise anyone? :miffed:

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 09-09-2020 03:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doesn't surprise in the least, nothing that Donald Duck does anymore surprises me, the man is dangerous but you all knew that anyway, not only to the U.S but to the rest of the World as well

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-10-2020 01:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cases worldwide

2 September 25,900,741

7 September 27,296,365

11 September 28,247,357

Total deaths
• World 911,684
• USA 196,040
• Brazil 128,857
• India 76,304

Source #1 Source #2

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 09-15-2020 08:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So who's ready for lockdown round 2?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 09-15-2020 09:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ME!!!

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 09-15-2020 10:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:

It won't be happening here in Floriduh.
Facts:
-Gov. Ron DeathSantis stopped funding testing at elderly care facilities. Someone extremely close to me works in one and just received their last Covid test. When they questioned the facility, it was due to a lack of funding from the state.

-DeathSantis has been long accused of fixing the numbers, hiding numbers, and not counting out-of-state people who die here from Covid-19.

-Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade counties have never left phase-1 reopening. However, if you visit southeast Florida you'll see everything is basically back to normal.

-White House is under investigation for hiding/manipulating CDC Covid-19 #'s.

As long as they show their fake #'s going down, they are sending us all back to life without a care in the world. It is literally every man, woman, and child for themselves here in the United States.

My employer sends out HR messages telling us to social distance, be vigilant, and wear masks/PPE. However, at the same time my boss and the remainder of my coworkers do not wear masks in the office around each other and no one is expected to quarantine after traveling. Yesterday, we flew in someone to interview from another state and a crew of people went to lunch (which clearly is without a mask). There are zero precautions being taken here and on top of that some of these folks claim to be white nationalists and despite their logic and reasoning to make it "ok", it's just a synonym for white supremacy.

#FloridaSucks

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-15-2020 12:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:

we're easing into it with BoJo's Rule of Six™

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-15-2020 12:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is that like 6 degrees of separation? All covid leads back to Kevin Bacon?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-15-2020 05:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

raw wrote:
Facts:

[...]

#FloridaSucks

Move up here to Vermont, srsly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html
Quote:
Months into the pandemic, Vermont’s governor says the state is “the envy of the nation,” with little more than 1,100 confirmed covid-19 infections and 56 deaths. Perhaps most remarkable is that Vermont has been relatively spared the effects of the disease even though a huge swath of the nation’s cases are mere hours from its borders; neighboring New York and Massachusetts have approximately half a million confirmed cases between them, and more than 37,000 deaths.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-15-2020 06:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I feel people don’t realize the vaccine isn’t going to be a miracle solution. First of all, despite what Trump says, it won’t be available for everyone until next summer at the earliest. And even then, it’s not going to be a switch that gets flipped. You’ll get one shot, wait a month, then get another. And then it’ll take several weeks or a few months before you’re possibly immune. This isn’t a fairytale with a magical happy ending. The universe doesn’t give a fuck about us. Some generations just live in shitty times. It’s happened for thousands of years. I’m afraid we might just be in one of those times...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-15-2020 08:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I feel people don’t realize the vaccine isn’t going to be a miracle solution. First of all, despite what Trump says, it won’t be available for everyone until next summer at the earliest. And even then, it’s not going to be a switch that gets flipped. You’ll get one shot, wait a month, then get another. And then it’ll take several weeks or a few months before you’re possibly immune. This isn’t a fairytale with a magical happy ending. The universe doesn’t give a fuck about us. Some generations just live in shitty times. It’s happened for thousands of years. I’m afraid we might just be in one of those times...

dingdingding :alert: :dts:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-15-2020 08:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

raw wrote:
Captain Mazda wrote:

Facts:

#FloridaSucks

Florida sounds like a hell hole.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-16-2020 02:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so working from home forever

fucking win

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 09-17-2020 07:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:

#FAX if you came to southeast Florida you'd see a LOT of people just carrying on like we aren't in the middle of a pandemic.

In fact, the dine-in lunch meetings at restaurants with coworkers has not stopped. I refuse to go but I'm one of two people on my team truly taking this thing seriously. It's insane but hey, I guess negligence is a business plan here lol

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-17-2020 11:01 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

raw wrote:
It's insane but hey, I guess negligence is a business plan here lol

Seems like a sound long-term business plan to me; they'll end up with massive payroll savings.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-18-2020 08:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Been a week since last report :confused:

Cases worldwide

7 September 27,296,365

11 September 28,247,357

19 September 30,697,734

Total deaths
• World 956,446
• USA 203,171
• Brazil 135,857
• India 85,625

Source #1 Source #2

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-19-2020 08:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

we don't need your numbers ffs

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-19-2020 08:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
we don't need your numbers ffs

Yeah man, it's hard enough wading through the pages upon pages of new posts and replies we get here at Q3W. It's almost a day job keeping up with all the activity going on here!

Edit:
/s for the thick skulls who can't recognize sarcasm.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-19-2020 09:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just ignore most of the turquoise posts.

Oktoberfest had been cancelled 4 months ago already. It is the 25th time it has been cancelled since 1811.

Munich has hit the threshold of 50 new infections per 100.000 capita per week yesterday.
Some lesser measurements are re-established and FC Bayern Munich can not have its first game of the new season with spectators. :( /s

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-19-2020 09:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it is for you, judging by how mad you get

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 09-19-2020 11:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Been a week since last report :confused:

Cases worldwide

7 September 27,296,365

11 September 28,247,357

19 September 30,697,734

Total deaths
• World 956,446
• USA 203,171
• Brazil 135,857
• India 85,625

Source #1 Source #2

Some strong jumps there

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.