Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        no coronavirus thread ?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: no coronavirus thread ?

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-19-2021 01:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have an aunt in Iran who refuses to get vaccinated, which is upsetting because her age puts her in a higher risk category. At least she keeps to herself and wears a mask, instead of going around coughing at people like the dumb cunts around here do while screaming about their personal freedom.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-21-2021 12:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-21-2021 02:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The extent to which the Rotterdam riots escalated has little to do with COVID restrictions. It started off as a protest against restrictions. The protests attracted hooligans and other people just looking for a fight, and it's those people that started the actual rioting. People weren't burning cars and smashing windows because of COVID restrictions, they were doing it because they were morons who saw an opportunity to act like it. This behavior then works as an example for hobbyist rioters in other cities.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-21-2021 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I used to call them 'rent a crowd' but these ratbags are most everywhere given opportunity, however I will suggest mainland China maybe different.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-22-2021 05:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Dictatorial bullshit & authoritarian policies?

I must be deaf and even though I live here, must be walking around with eyes closed. I have managed to set aside my personal sense of entitlement for the greater good and it's time for others to join the growing majority, not time to standby the rabble rouses.

Only yesterday a young woman said to me when I asked "How's your day been?" that she had been sacked/dismissed from her employment. I asked why and her reply was that she wasn't having the 'jab'. Go figure!

You do realize that covid is going to be endemic, right?. It's going to be seasonal like the flu. And just like the flu, you can't vaccine your way out of it. It is going to be here for a long time, if not forever. So to think you are stopping others from getting covid by being vaccinated is nonsense. The only person you are truly helping by getting vaccinated is yourself and that is only for a short period of time, as the vaccines loses effectiveness over 6 to 8 months. Hence the need for boosters.

Just yesterday I spoke to person in Australia who was sharing video of pretests all over Europe. Like in America, he said the media was showing very little of these protests. That's probably why you're not seeing much. But one does have to ask, how long do you put up with these mandates and government overreach? When do people wake up and realize this isn't going away. This virus is being used to extract power and wealth from citizens. If people don't stand up in protest, where's the motivation for government to relinquish that power and stop spending tax dollars.

BTW, anyone here who hasn't had covid will get it. So if you're old or immunocompromised you should probably get vaccinated. But if you're waving the mandate flag you should probably move to North Korea. Because giving up liberties like being free to make personal health choices is standing on the edge of a slippery slope to autocracy.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 11-22-2021 06:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes everyone, choose not to get a vaccine that will protect your health. It's the only way to preserve one's freedom. GD gwamps you get more idiotic by the day.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-22-2021 06:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's not what I said at all. But I understand why you need to sell it that way.

Keep giving up your liberties like a good little boot lick.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-22-2021 08:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

People who get the vaccine experience less severe symptoms and are less likely to be hospitalized or die from Covid-19. That relieves a large strain on the health care system over time, since spikes in cases are less frequent or severe. It's just basic civic kindness.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-22-2021 08:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just so everyone knows, gwamps has zero medical or scientific knowledge.

Carry on.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-22-2021 08:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Civic kindness to who, the insurance providers? Where are the hospitals being overwhelmed these days? Should we start mandating dietary and health regiments for diabetics and obese people?

I guess it doesn't bother anyone here that the ADF (Australian Defense Force) just rounded up 38 individuals that they claim are "close cases" and transported them to one of their covid camps.

No problem with that?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-22-2021 09:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
Civic kindness to who, the insurance providers?

...to my neighbor, who I don't want to see die because he got sick and there wasn't a bed at the hospital.

YourGrandpa wrote:
Where are the hospitals being overwhelmed these days?

In places where fewer people are vaccinated.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-22-2021 10:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hospitals are overflowing here in the Netherlands, up to the point where regular care cannot be supplied anymore.

It's not hard to understand, Gramps. The goal of the vaccine and measures is to keep people out of the hospital. The vaccines are effective at this. Yes, it's unfortunate boosters are required, but eh, getting a shot once or twice a year isn't that big of a deal I think. If you look at some eastern European countries with very low vaccination rates, you're seeing people are still dying a lot there.

I don't know enough about the Australian situation to really comment on that. I understand they're trying to push through some questionable legislation. I understand people would rise up against that. Fair enough. But that's not the same as what we saw last year, where Karen & Co were protesting for their right to go to the hairdresser.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 04:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're not going to stop your neighbor from getting covid by being vaccinated. If you're worried about your neighbor, encourage that person to get vaccinated.

The Netherlands has an overall 70%+ vaccination rate. 80% of the people over 12 are vaccinated. If you still believe the unvaccinated are the problem, you're a bit naive. The problem is vaccine effectiveness decrease over time and doesn't stop infection or the spread. You're not going to get any population to the same immunity level at the same time. Therefore, no amount of vaccines, lock downs, masks or distancing is going to eradicate this virus. It is going to be endemic.

BTW, you don't have to be explicitly familiar with what is going on in Australia to have an option on the military rounding up suspected citizens and hauling them off to camps. But I understand why most pro mandate individuals would avoid that conversation.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 05:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:

You do realize that covid is going to be endemic, right?. It's going to be seasonal like the flu. And just like the flu, you can't vaccine your way out of it. It is going to be here for a long time, if not forever. So to think you are stopping others from getting covid by being vaccinated is nonsense. The only person you are truly helping by getting vaccinated is yourself and that is only for a short period of time, as the vaccines loses effectiveness over 6 to 8 months. Hence the need for boosters.

Just yesterday I spoke to person in Australia who was sharing video of pretests all over Europe. Like in America, he said the media was showing very little of these protests. That's probably why you're not seeing much. But one does have to ask, how long do you put up with these mandates and government overreach? When do people wake up and realize this isn't going away. This virus is being used to extract power and wealth from citizens. If people don't stand up in protest, where's the motivation for government to relinquish that power and stop spending tax dollars.

BTW, anyone here who hasn't had covid will get it. So if you're old or immunocompromised you should probably get vaccinated. But if you're waving the mandate flag you should probably move to North Korea. Because giving up liberties like being free to make personal health choices is standing on the edge of a slippery slope to autocracy.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... -scientist

So while patients are there being treated for Covid because they refuse to have the jab, other people who are suffering with cancer, heart disease, blood clots etc etc are being let down. Do you really think that the medical expertise and resources being utilised for the prolonging of life for those whose "freedom" has meant they haven't got the jab is not having an effect on others?

Wearing a seat belt in a car doesn't stop you having a car crash, but it does improve your chances of survival by a considerable amount. Seatbelt wearing is law; how oppressive. Ironically, these laws are there to protect the stupid...

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 05:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:

Carry on.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 05:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What you are sighting is a temporary/seasonal problem that will likely continue no matter how many people are vaccinated. Mandates and the associated medical procedure atr permanent. Lockdowns are, and have been the largest contributor to lack of access to preventative medical procedures not over crowded hospitals.

Vaccinations are nothing like seat belts. Seat belts don't become less effective over time and require you to need a new seat belt every 6 months. Not wearing your seat belt won't prevent you from shopping for food, staying employed or participating in a free society. Ironically, the seat belt analogy is disingenuous and arguably stupid.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 05:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

raw wrote:
Captain Mazda wrote:

Carry on.

I'm better informed than both of you. So there's that.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 06:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
What you are sighting is a temporary/seasonal problem that will likely continue no matter how many people are vaccinated. Mandates and the associated medical procedure atr permanent. Lockdowns are, and have been the largest contributor to lack of access to preventative medical procedures not over crowded hospitals.

Wrong. At least in the UK: https://committees.parliament.uk/commit ... -pandemic/

Add in my first link about those in hospital almost all not being vaccinated and you can (should) quickly grasp why getting the jab is so important to others, not just yourself.

YourGrandpa wrote:
Vaccinations are nothing like seat belts. Seat belts don't become less effective over time and require you to need a new seat belt every 6 months. Not wearing your seat belt won't prevent you from shopping for food, staying employed or participating in a free society. Ironically, the seat belt analogy is disingenuous and arguably stupid.

OK so lets say I agree with you and concede that you don't have to put your seat belt on every time you get in your car for it to be effective, lets look at something a little different. How about drink driving? How do you feel about this:

Quote:
“If I say I am vaccinated, other people say: ‘How can you tell me I should be vaccinated?’ It is a little bit like drink-driving. We all probably were in a situation where we had a beer or two and thought we still could drive but, [because of] the law, we are not allowed to drive so we don’t drive. But this law is not there for protecting me when I drink two beers and want to drive, it’s for protecting all the other people because I’m drunk and we accept that as a law.

“I don’t take the vaccination only to protect me, I take the vaccination to protect all the people around me. I don’t understand why that is a limitation of freedom because, if it is, then not being allowed to drink and drive is a limitation of freedom as well. I got the vaccination because I was concerned about myself but even more so about everybody around me. If I get [Covid] and I suffer from it: my fault. If I get it and spread it to someone else: my fault and not their fault.”

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 07:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What part about what I said was wrong. The article you posted speaks to backlog. I didn't click on all the links, but I didn't see where it says the backlog was caused by over crowed hospitals. The articles referrerences the pandemic generically. Lock downs were also caused by the pandemic. Your hospitals haven't been full of covid patients year round for the past two years. There have been seasonal swings in infections and hospitalizations.

Strange how no one has an opinion on the use of military to round up civilians. Not really though.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 07:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
What part about what I said was wrong. The article you posted speaks to backlog. I didn't click on all the links, but I didn't see where it says the backlog was caused by over crowed hospitals. The articles referrerences the pandemic generically. Lock downs were also caused by the pandemic. Your hospitals haven't been full of covid patients year round for the past two years. There have been seasonal swings in infections and hospitalizations.

Strange how no one has an opinion on the use of military to round up civilians. Not really though.

Literally the first line:

The Committee has launched a new inquiry to quantify the level of pent-up demand for key healthcare services, and to consider whether fundamental changes to the organisation and delivery of NHS services will be required to manage the backlog of cases caused by the pandemic.

https://committees.parliament.uk/work/1 ... ce-to-mps/

The reason for the backlog is covid. You were locked and down and not allowed into the hospitals because of covid. Rates of people requiring treatment for covid illness has dropped off because of the vaccine to the point where now the only people requiring treatment are the unvaccinated.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 09:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The article says the pandemic. The lockdowns were why people couldn't go to the hospital, not because they were overcrowded. Lockdowns and overcrowded hospital are two very different things.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 09:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fuck me :olo: MY FREEDUMMBS

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 09:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What dont these weapons understand about the load on health systems?

The very first point they argue is it “wOn’t stoP you gettiING a CoViD vIrUs”.

I don’t think I’ve seen any paper or article over the two years that have EVER said you’re safe from contracting it after getting vaccinated. Jesus fucking Christ I swear to black Jesus we’d be better off in a two tier society for 10 years while the trumpers all fuck off.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 09:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for your incredibly uninformed assumptions and comments. You never fail to bring the stupid.

GG.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 10:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
What dont these weapons understand about the load on health systems?

The very first point they argue is it “wOn’t stoP you gettiING a CoViD vIrUs”.

I don’t think I’ve seen any paper or article over the two years that have EVER said you’re safe from contracting it after getting vaccinated. Jesus fucking Christ I swear to black Jesus we’d be better off in a two tier society for 10 years while the trumpers all fuck off.

I think we should gather up all the right-wing lunatics from all over the world and send them to 'murica. Let them run free shooting each other in the name of freedom.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 10:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
You're not going to stop your neighbor from getting covid by being vaccinated. If you're worried about your neighbor, encourage that person to get vaccinated.

Not everybody can get vaccinated, like those with compromised immune systems. That's kind of the whole point of the vaccine: herd immunity. :dork:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 10:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Mazda wrote:

Carry on.

YourGrandpa wrote:
What you are sighting

I think you meant 'citing', smart guy. :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 10:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
The Netherlands has an overall 70%+ vaccination rate. 80% of the people over 12 are vaccinated. If you still believe the unvaccinated are the problem, you're a bit naive. The problem is vaccine effectiveness decrease over time and doesn't stop infection or the spread. You're not going to get any population to the same immunity level at the same time. Therefore, no amount of vaccines, lock downs, masks or distancing is going to eradicate this virus. It is going to be endemic.

The unvaccinated are the problem. There currently are 331 COVID patients in Dutch IC's currently. Of those 331 there are 94 vaccinated people. Considering the group of vaccinated people is about 5 to 6 times larger than the group of unvaccinated people, yet there's more then twice the number of IC hospitalizations from that smaller group, it's undeniable the vaccine is keeping people out of hospitals.

The vaccine doesn't keep COVID away, but it does reduce the chance of hospitalization by 95%. And while it's true the vaccine loses effectiveness over time (hence the booster shots) it's completely irrational to argue the vaccine doesn't work.

And yes, COVID will be endemic at some point, no one ever denied this. The thing is that we don't want people to not get COVID at all, we don't want everyone to get life threatening complications at the same time because that overflows the hospitals.

Edit; this chart shows it. Sourced from the RIVM, the Dutch CDC. Blue is vaccinated, green partially vaccinated, yellow unvaccinated. Top group is population, middle group is hospitalized, bottom group is IC. Each figure represents 1%

Edit2: what this chart also doesn't show is that a significant portion of the vaccinated people that are in IC elderly or people with underlying conditions.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 10:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
Vaccinations are nothing like seat belts.

You're right, not wearing a seatbelt won't suddenly make everybody's seatbelts around me unbuckle. Meanwhile, unvaccinated people are getting other people sick left and right. :idea:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 12:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
............. the ADF (Australian Defense Force) just rounded up 38 individuals that they claim are "close cases" and transported them to one of their covid camps...........

Evidence please to support would be nice.

OT but re what is new in your little world? I'm off up north for a few days, thankfully...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 01:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:

Minnesota.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 01:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://gizmodo.com/covid-19-linked-to- ... 1848111380
Covid-19 Linked to Four Times Higher Risk of Stillbirth During Delta Era, CDC Finds

Quote:
Studies have suggested for some time that covid-19 is more dangerous for pregnant people. They’re more likely to experience serious illness, death, and delivery complications. This new research, published by the CDC last week, provides a closer look at the risk of stillbirth posed by the coronavirus, particularly the Delta variant.

LOL these idiots who refuse to get vaccinated are dieing off, becoming sterile and having stillbirths. They're going to Darwinize themselves into irrelevance. :olo:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 05:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
YourGrandpa wrote:

Minnesota.

Your story says the national guard is being brought in to help out in nursing homes.

Another article explains shortages....

"Unlike Minnesota's worst surge in fall 2020, hospital beds aren't the issue this time -- 1,381 people are hospitalized, compared with a peak of nearly 1,900 last fall -- it's a lack of hospital staff.

The staffing shortage is "more permanent and structural," Minnesota Health Commissioner Jan Malcolm told reporters earlier this week. Burnout and resignations have contributed to the issue."

Maybe you should source your material a bit, instead of looking for the first piece of confirmation bias you can find.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 05:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
YourGrandpa wrote:
............. the ADF (Australian Defense Force) just rounded up 38 individuals that they claim are "close cases" and transported them to one of their covid camps...........

Evidence please to support would be nice.

OT but re what is new in your little world? I'm off up north for a few days, thankfully...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-21/ ... /100637600

About 2:40 into the video or roughly 4 pages down under Mr. Gunner's picture.

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 11-23-2021 05:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
The unvaccinated are the problem. There currently are 331 COVID patients in Dutch IC's currently. Of those 331 there are 94 vaccinated people. Considering the group of vaccinated people is about 5 to 6 times larger than the group of unvaccinated people, yet there's more then twice the number of IC hospitalizations from that smaller group, it's undeniable the vaccine is keeping people out of hospitals.

The vaccine doesn't keep COVID away, but it does reduce the chance of hospitalization by 95%. And while it's true the vaccine loses effectiveness over time (hence the booster shots) it's completely irrational to argue the vaccine doesn't work.

And yes, COVID will be endemic at some point, no one ever denied this. The thing is that we don't want people to not get COVID at all, we don't want everyone to get life threatening complications at the same time because that overflows the hospitals.

Edit; this chart shows it. Sourced from the RIVM, the Dutch CDC. Blue is vaccinated, green partially vaccinated, yellow unvaccinated. Top group is population, middle group is hospitalized, bottom group is IC. Each figure represents 1%

Edit2: what this chart also doesn't show is that a significant portion of the vaccinated people that are in IC elderly or people with underlying conditions.

Again, the unvaccinated are a temporary problem along with many vaccinate during a seasonal outbreak. Mandates and the associated medical procedure are a PERMANENT problem that won't go away. So not only will you always have covid, you will always have a government that you have given the power to make personal heath choices for you.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.