Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        no coronavirus thread ?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: no coronavirus thread ?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 01-31-2022 12:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Everything and everyone around me is getting infected. Omicron is just crazy infectious. But, everyone is like "oh, I feel a little feverish at worst but that's about it". Now, I know people are still dying because of this and it's just not done to take the "but it's just a flu!" route, but Jesus, 80% of my social circles are quarantines because of what, to them, is essentially a weak flu, or, worse, they've only been in contact with someone that was infected and are now sitting at home because of something they don't have.

We've also been quarantined for two days because there were a large number of COVID infections in the out-of-school care of two of my kids. They had last been there 5 days before we got the phone call, so we could make an appointment for a PCR test immediately (with a negative test after 5 days you're allowed out of quarantine again) but such a huge number of people are getting tested that it took two days before we could get a testing appointment. My kids missed 3 days of school because of nothing, really.

My daughter is missing the first soccer match with her new team because the opposing team cancelled.due to too many kids being in quarantine. My nephew and niece missed a week of school because their classes were sent home because of too many COVID cases in their groups.

My daughter is supposed to visit highschools in order to choose where she'll go next school year but in some cases she can't because if COVID restrictions. Where she can go visit the school, parents aren't allowed inside. It's one of the most important choices of her life and she can't properly prepare for it, while at the same time, we've heard two years of non-stop complaints from closed pubs because people can't get fucking shit faced at 2am anymore.

Fuck this shit. I'm done with it.

I realize this smells of straight up Karen talk, but I've been following every rule to the letter for 2 years now, and I still see 60% of people in supermarkets wear face masks on their chin. I'll wear my masks properly,I do get my vaccinations, I wash my hands till they bleed, I sneeze in my elbows and I do a self-test before visiting family. Sure. But fuck it, I will go to the supermarket to get groceries if I spent 15 minutes talking to a COVID infected person. I refuse to do a full blown quarantine because of having been in contact with a COVID infected person. I barely go out anyway, but I will keep doing the essentials.

W3rd

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 01-31-2022 01:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
I make a point of using a person's name when greeting them...

so you dug your own social grave then :|

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 01-31-2022 02:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm pretty bad at remembering names. I think of it as exercising a mental muscle. :shrug:

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 01-31-2022 04:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Wall of text :p

Close Contacts doesn't put us in quarantine anymore, it just needs us to do more daily testing (just in case), and only if you are a proper close contact. So if you were doing 2 LFTs a week for work etc, then you might want to do a daily one for the next week just in case, but you can still keep doing whatever.

Even with household cases, if one person was consistently testing negative LFTs even though the rest of us were positive, they could still go out to the shops etc (didn't happen for me though) :owned:

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 01-31-2022 05:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Everything and everyone around me is getting infected. Omicron is just crazy infectious. But, everyone is like "oh, I feel a little feverish at worst but that's about it". Now, I know people are still dying because of this and it's just not done to take the "but it's just a flu!" route, but Jesus, 80% of my social circles are quarantines because of what, to them, is essentially a weak flu, or, worse, they've only been in contact with someone that was infected and are now sitting at home because of something they don't have.

We've also been quarantined for two days because there were a large number of COVID infections in the out-of-school care of two of my kids. They had last been there 5 days before we got the phone call, so we could make an appointment for a PCR test immediately (with a negative test after 5 days you're allowed out of quarantine again) but such a huge number of people are getting tested that it took two days before we could get a testing appointment. My kids missed 3 days of school because of nothing, really.

My daughter is missing the first soccer match with her new team because the opposing team cancelled.due to too many kids being in quarantine. My nephew and niece missed a week of school because their classes were sent home because of too many COVID cases in their groups.

My daughter is supposed to visit highschools in order to choose where she'll go next school year but in some cases she can't because if COVID restrictions. Where she can go visit the school, parents aren't allowed inside. It's one of the most important choices of her life and she can't properly prepare for it, while at the same time, we've heard two years of non-stop complaints from closed pubs because people can't get fucking shit faced at 2am anymore.

Fuck this shit. I'm done with it.

I realize this smells of straight up Karen talk, but I've been following every rule to the letter for 2 years now, and I still see 60% of people in supermarkets wear face masks on their chin. I'll wear my masks properly,I do get my vaccinations, I wash my hands till they bleed, I sneeze in my elbows and I do a self-test before visiting family. Sure. But fuck it, I will go to the supermarket to get groceries if I spent 15 minutes talking to a COVID infected person. I refuse to do a full blown quarantine because of having been in contact with a COVID infected person. I barely go out anyway, but I will keep doing the essentials.

I can appreciate your frustration for following the rules and still being at this point in the pandemic. I'm frustrated, angry, and at times I want to say, "fuck it". However, we have no cause as to who gets hits bad and who doesn't, omicron is affecting children more, we now have omicron batII, and we still have no understand of longterm and/or permanent illness or disability due to long covid.

Speaking as a person who lives in the US, let alone Florida where it is a total free-for-all without protections, I would trade with you in a minute to have some governance attempting to protect me from a once in a century pandemic even if it is a flawed system.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 01-31-2022 01:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
You sure she didn't say "Stop hitting on me, Transient, I'm gay"?

Made me :olo:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-01-2022 01:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Near 3 weeks pass

Worldwide Corona Virus Cases:

2 Feb 2022 381,127,622

13 Jan 2022 316,405,594

31 Dec 286,438,244

Total deaths
• World 5,700,884
• USA 912,551
• Brazil 627,365
• India 497,996
• Russia 332,012

Source

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-03-2022 11:32 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, my daughter did an Ag test yesterday. Clearly positive. Damn. For some inexplicable reason, she insisted we do another test. After nagging me for 10 minutes, I was like alright, if you want that, let's do another.

Guess what. Negative. Not even a vague line visible on the test.

It was her bedtime so we said off to bed with you, we'll do another test tomorrow and majority wins. We just did the test and there's a very, very vague line visible. You really have to look closely to see it. Man, I'm so tired of this endless bullshit.

Anyway, we managed to schedule a PCR test for her. We'll know for sure later today.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-04-2022 01:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is Ag short for antigen? Here if same, they are called RATs, Rapid Antigen Tests :smirk: Lots of people still bastardise calling them RAT tests, like the old ATM machines.
Crossing my fingers for a negative PCR there.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-04-2022 01:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's a pet peeve of mine, Whiskey.

Also, every time I go to the grocery store and see their '10 Items or Less' line, my eye twitches a little. :offended:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-04-2022 02:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll try one better.
Those innumerable advertisements that state "Up to 50% Off"! Up to are a very powerful 4 letters. Rightfully, it could well be only 10% off the item(s) :smirk:
And the partner here, "10% Off Everything" and the punch in the smallest font, "Reasonable Limits Apply". Everything means everything and what is reasonable to you may not be to me :/

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-04-2022 10:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PCR came back positive. Here we go, again :|

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-05-2022 12:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:|

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 02-05-2022 02:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
I'll try one better.
Those innumerable advertisements that state "Up to 50% Off"! Up to are a very powerful 4 letters. Rightfully, it could well be only 10% off the item(s) :smirk:
And the partner here, "10% Off Everything" and the punch in the smallest font, "Reasonable Limits Apply". Everything means everything and what is reasonable to you may not be to me :/

That's like MAC for a computer. People always ask for the MAC address but that stands for machine address code.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-05-2022 10:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've been back to work this week since a RAT on the 8th day after contact came back negative.
I did 2 self-RATS during the quarantine-week that also were negative.
I still haven't heard from the health-department in any form. I could understand some days delay but almost 2 weeks?

My parents both got infected, aged 78 and 82. They got down with flue-like symptoms but were fine after a few days. Both were boostered with a 3rd jab.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-05-2022 10:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
That's a pet peeve of mine, Whiskey.

Also, every time I go to the grocery store and see their '10 Items or Less' line, my eye twitches a little. :offended:

What's wrong with "10 items or less"?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-05-2022 11:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It should be '10 Items or Fewer'. Use 'fewer' when referring to things that can be counted, and 'less' for things that are measured.

But really it's like when I asked my old History teacher, "can I go to the bathroom," and he responded by saying "I don't know, can you?"

'May I' and 'can I' have become interchangeable in the English language and both are grammatically correct these days. :shrug:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-05-2022 12:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

your history teacher sounds like this guy

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-05-2022 12:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah and it took 20 years to shake most of the pet peeves out of my system that I picked up from him and my English teachers. I still can't help but roll my eyes when someone says 'literally' incorrectly, though. :smirk:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-05-2022 01:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
It should be '10 Items or Fewer'. Use 'fewer' when referring to things that can be counted, and 'less' for things that are measured.

Oh right, I see. It wouldn't bother me because my English isn't at a level where I'd even notice in the first place. But even if it did, it's nowhere near as atrocious as the there/their/they're and then/than errors I so commonly see.

Transient wrote:
But really it's like when I asked my old History teacher, "can I go to the bathroom," and he responded by saying "I don't know, can you?"

'May I' and 'can I' have become interchangeable in the English language and both are grammatically correct these days. :shrug:

Reminds me of this one time where I was at a client for my work, and one of the people there would keep saying "was is past tense" whenever he answered the phone. At first I had no idea what he meant, but then it dawned on me the people at the other end would say something like "I was looking for XYZ". Then I thought he was just being a prick.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-05-2022 01:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Both classic :up:

Transient wrote:

.... and ...

Yeah and it took 20 years to shake most of the pet peeves out of my system that I picked up from him and my English teachers. I still can't help but roll my eyes when someone says 'literally' incorrectly, though. :smirk:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-05-2022 01:33 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
I still can't help but roll my eyes when someone says 'literally' incorrectly, though. :smirk:

My dick is literally as hard as a rock

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-05-2022 02:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Reminds me of this one time where I was at a client for my work, and one of the people there would keep saying "was is past tense" whenever he answered the phone. At first I had no idea what he meant, but then it dawned on me the people at the other end would say something like "I was looking for XYZ". Then I thought he was just being a prick.

LOL I would never correct someone on their grammar in person, it's such a total dick move. Especially for someone who speaks English as a second language. It's not exactly the easiest language to learn, particularly because of all the contradictions.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-06-2022 11:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finally, it's my turn.
We've been dodging this shit as a family for years, but now I tested positive. Mild symptoms like a sore throat.
No idea where I got it, I've hardly seen anyone in person the past week.
Oh well.. 2 vax and boost are hopefully keeping the serious symptoms at bay.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-06-2022 11:40 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So now that my daughter tested positive (for the second time in less than 3 months) we're in quarantine again. The rules here state that if you've recovered from COVID-19 in the past 8 weeks or you've been boostered, you don't need to go in quarantine when having been near someone with COVID-19, as long as you don't have symptoms.

But here's the problem: my family had COVID about 9 to 10 weeks ago, so we're not eligible for that free pass anymore. However, we've also not been boostered because you can't get a booster if you've been infected less than 12 weeks ago.

So if you've had COVID and aren't boostered yet, there's this 4 week gap where you're fucked again if someone in your family gets COVID again. We're in that 4 week gap right now, so I'm in quarantine again. Can't go anywhere. None of us except our daughter has COVID and she barely has any symptoms (bit of a runny nose, that's it).

So raw will be happy to know that so far, I haven't really gone anywhere ;) Oh, except that I did drop off my cat at the vet because he needed some dental surgery and had his kidneys checked (turns out they're only working at 25% now). Officially, I should've canceled that appointment but fuck that.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-07-2022 12:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hope your cat gets better. :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-07-2022 12:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The cat's old but okay. He just needs some special dietary food and some medicine once a day to support his kidney function.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-07-2022 02:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like a not so merry merry-go-round Eraser. Crossing fingers here it slows & stops for you & yours.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-08-2022 03:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow ok

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 02-08-2022 06:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GET WELL SOON(Jerry's cat)[j/k I love you Jerry. I hope you and your family are well.

FuddyDuddy
FuddyDuddy
PostPosted: 02-09-2022 03:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ditto

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-09-2022 10:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

we need a poll to see who's had the wuflu. sounds like most people by now :(

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-09-2022 04:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My wife and I are covid free. Never had it as far as we know…

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 02-10-2022 01:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not me - though we have been very careful given Lady Carlos was expecting for a large portion of this Covid thing

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 02-10-2022 01:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'd say we were slightly more careful than a lot of our friends/family, but once the schools went back it was essentially a waiting game. I know in early days the data seemed to show kids being either more resilient or less likely to pass it along, but with Omicron variant (more transmissible) it's just spread around (and through) the local schools.

We were always more worried about passing it to elderly relatives than getting it ourselves

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.