Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        no coronavirus thread ?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: no coronavirus thread ?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 04-10-2020 01:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so now u think i have 4 balls? weirdo...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-10-2020 03:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, just the single blue one.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-10-2020 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 04-10-2020 03:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Zing!

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-10-2020 05:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hehehe...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-10-2020 10:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reported cases

5 Apr 1,187,798

7 Apr 1,348,628

9 Apr 1,501,685

11 Apr 1,700,378

link

Another web page of statistics

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-12-2020 09:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reported cases

9 Apr 1,501,685

11 Apr 1,700,378

13 Apr 1,853,464

link and another web page of statistics

I still question numbers from China and the likes of India.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-13-2020 12:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

China's numbers are starting to increase again...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-13-2020 02:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-52266235

Quote:
China says it had 108 confirmed new infections on Sunday, almost all of them brought in from abroad.

coincidentally, the rest of the world that isn't China has had 1,775,876 confirmed infections, also all brought in from abroad

this must be the rebound

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-13-2020 03:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
this must be the rebound

Yup - this is what all the rest of the world will be looking at. Then balancing out how much lose of life they are willing to accept for the return of "normal" life and the bounce back of the economy.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-13-2020 03:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also how are the US testing so many people? They've done 2.8 million tests, apparently.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-13-2020 04:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I don’t know. But we are testing the fuck outa people...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 04-13-2020 08:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

not per capita... we ain't worth a shit...

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-13-2020 09:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For once geoff is right :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-13-2020 12:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So, is there talk in your countries and out using an app to fight corona? It's a bit of a messy topic right now in The Netherlands.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 04-13-2020 12:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah - as long as we follow the Singapore model with their data laws etc, then I am happy for it to happen.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 04-13-2020 04:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

we gonna fight corona by going back to work and ignoring it... we win... next...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-13-2020 11:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Trump will order you back to work because apparently he's the king of America now :olo:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-13-2020 11:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Yeah - as long as we follow the Singapore model with their data laws etc, then I am happy for it to happen.

Privacy can be guaranteed through technical means. The idea is that your phone can detect other phones nearby via Bluetooth (even set to a range of 1.5m). Each device will generate a unique ID for itself and broadcast its ID to other nearby phones. Each phone stores keys from other phones locally. Any stored key older than 14 days is removed from the device again. When a user tells its app he/she has been infected with corona, the phone will notify a central database that its key should be registered as infected. Other devices can periodically contact this database to see if any of the keys it encountered in the past 14 days is present in this database. This way, only anonymous keys are exchanged, there is no way to connect a key to a single device or user and privacy is guaranteed. Preferably, the app should be open sourced.

That's the technical side of things. In fact, Google and Apple are working together on building a platform for this. I'm worried about a few other things:

- To get people to register as "infected" we need to do tests. On a much larger scale than we are doing now. There already is a massive shortage of tests. How are they going to fill this gap?

- Apparently, for the app to be effective, it needs to be installed by about 60 percent of the population. In Singapore, only 15% of the population installed an app. Here in The Netherlands a poll showed that 60% of the respondents were willing to install an app, but that was based on basically no info about how such an app would work. Also, if 60% say they will do it, that probably means a significantly lower percentage will actually go ahead and do it. It's also not clear how the poll's respondent population biased that result.

- If we're not getting that 60% install base, will the app be made mandatory? If so, how? And I mean both technically as well as how it's going to be enforced? I might just leave my phone at home when going outside. Do I need to carry a phone with app installed as well as my ID papers with me at all times? Can cops ask people to show their app at random? Can I be fined if I don't carry the app with me?

- Taking that further, can other people/organizations ask for my app? What if I want to board a flight? Do I need to prove that I haven't been in (accidental) contact with infected people? Can my flight be denied if I am? Can a theater demand this of me? Public transport like trains and busses? My local supermarket?

- How do we prevent false positives? What if I'm very close to someone that's infected but there's a glass window between us (I'm outside while the other person is inside)? We're still within range but the app doesn't know about the glass window. Or how about my neighbor. Maybe the bluetooth signal is strong enough to go through the all and contact my neighbor's device.

- When I get notified I have been in contact with a COVID positive person, do I need to self-isolate 2 weeks even if I don't show any signs of infection myself? What if that means I can't go to my job? What if that means I'll lose significant income? What if I have been in quarantine for two weeks and three days later get another notification I have been in contact with someone? Do I go into 2 weeks of isolation again?

- Who will tell my app I have been infected? Can I do this myself? Who makes sure I actually tell my app I've been infected? Maybe I am afraid of the consequences and keep it a secret? Or the other way around? What if I'm a massive troll and tell my app that I'm infected (while I'm not) and go to the busiest places I can find, just to fuck things up? I cannot be arrested because no one can prove it was me. The app is private, remember?

- Going back to the whole privacy thing, I still am afraid about that because, and this sound a bit tin-foil-hattery I guess, but because it's a government mandated thing. Our government (and governments in general) have a very poor track record when it comes to IT projects. That Google and Apple are laying the foundation is (as contradictory as it may sound) somewhat of a relief, but I guess someone still has to build an app on top of that. And where and how is the central database stored and maintained? I'm simply afraid the gov't will give this project to the lowest bidder and that lowest bidder will develop a proprietary app, fuck up somehow and in two years time, we find that all of the keys have been spilled into the public and worse, it turns out keys have been stored together with IP data and, oh shit, location data as well and BOOM, massive privacy scandal.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 04-14-2020 04:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-14-2020 04:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Probably... I've been harping on about China stealing tech from other countries through nefarious ways for years now. It's not a secret, a huge corporation in Canada called Nortel was completely destroyed in part because of China stealing their technology and outbidding them in contracts around the world. They do this all the time yet get no apparent backlash for it. Our previous prime minister made a deal with China where they could sue us for however much they want if we try to obstruct their companies from doing business in our country. It's absolutely disgusting how much control they have here in Canada.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-14-2020 04:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sure, but let's build a large china controlled 5G network here. Great idea.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-14-2020 05:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's actually some of the tech they stole from Nortel... Must be nice to be a company that's really an arm of the chinese military outbidding rival companies using technology they stole from those companies and foreign countries just buying that shit up.

There's some serious backroom deals going on and people put in positions of authority to make those deals go through that are some corrupt pieces of shit.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-14-2020 08:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
I've been harping on about China stealing tech from other countries through nefarious ways for years now...

lol, you’ve become a caricature of yourself! You don’t even realize when you do it...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 04-14-2020 08:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You never have anything relevant to say.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 04-14-2020 08:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Worst comeback to date. Also it didn’t make any sense. Lol.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-14-2020 09:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
You never have anything relevant to say.

How dare you!

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 04-14-2020 11:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Probably... I've been harping on about China stealing tech from other countries through nefarious ways for years now. It's not a secret, a huge corporation in Canada called Nortel was completely destroyed in part because of China stealing their technology and outbidding them in contracts around the world. They do this all the time yet get no apparent backlash for it. Our previous prime minister made a deal with China where they could sue us for however much they want if we try to obstruct their companies from doing business in our country. It's absolutely disgusting how much control they have here in Canada.

It's because Canada as a country is a fucking jellyfish. Rather than pursuing relations with normal countries, they prefer alliances with genocidal maniacs like USA, Israel, Saudi Arabia, and China who dictate terms, lobby the government, and threaten to break trade pacts if Canada doesn't bend over at every instance. Your choices are a centrist liberal government that embraces war criminals and corrupt executives or a conservative government that embraces war criminals and corrupt executives. Choose wisely.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-14-2020 06:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone else watch Emperor Trump's meltdown?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 04-14-2020 06:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

which one?...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 04-14-2020 06:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo: was gunna ask the same... doesn't he have meltdowns on the daily? Was it the "total authority" one?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-14-2020 06:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Daily occurrence...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 04-14-2020 07:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reported cases

9 Apr 1,501,685

11 Apr 1,700,378

13 Apr 1,853,464

15 Apr 1,999,019

Source

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 04-15-2020 12:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Best thing on tv at the moment.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 04-15-2020 01:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.