Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        no coronavirus thread ?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: no coronavirus thread ?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 07:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Trumpster are having a melt down about masks in Texas.. it's hilarious...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 09:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Reported cases Worldwide

27 June 9,906,585

29 June 10,395,643

1 July 10,792,494

3 July 10,991,872

Total deaths
• World 524,176
• USA 131,485
• Brazil 61,990

Source #1 Source #2

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 11:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
Trumpster are having a melt down about masks in Texas.. it's hilarious...

I can almost feel the oppressed shouts of freedom from here :smirk:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 11:41 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Holy shit it's the 4th of July tomorrow...lets see how things look in the USA at the end of July as I you can bet your bollocks to a barn dance that people will be doing a lot of freedoming this weekend.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-02-2020 11:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

remember that time Tom Cruise played a disabled guy in Born on the Fourth of July when he wasn't even disabled?

CANCELLED

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-03-2020 03:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

raw wrote:
Moving: Haven't decided yet. Packing up some certifications before the woman and I decide. We're not going to react, we're going to plan based on a few criteria that are important to us. The reality is, there are democracies out there that function differently than America and one of them may be for me. As for the possibility of staying in the states, looking for remote work and a state with a higher quality of life index and a functioning local government.

Regarding Florida, Rick Scott, ...etc
He's a piece of shit, Pam Bondi is a piece of shit, Marco Rubio is a piece of shit, and the bulk of our senior leadership is totally fucked. Example: Covid-19 handling. We've been a Republican controlled state for some time and if weren't for the corruption, we'd likely be a blue state. Not even worth getting into it about Florida. Have many friends who re-located despite being native to south Florida and I hear even Jersey has a way better way of life than Florida. Mainly, Florida pays like shit for my industry in comparison to other states.

I've hit my limit with spending my whole life down here and I'm ready to see if there's something that works better for me personally as I age and want to enjoy more life. Down here, it's work until you drop.

The woman has dual-citizenship with Spain so that's always an option to start.

All jokes aside I actually love New York... If I could move there I totally would, aside from the current covid crisis that is... I'm probably seeing the city through rose colored glasses though as I was only there about a week but I enjoyed every minute. I was surprised at how few motorcycles drive around manhattan though and at the same time not so surprised seeing how people drive there.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-03-2020 04:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Reported cases Worldwide

27 June 9,906,585

29 June 10,395,643

1 July 10,792,494

3 July 10,991,872

Total deaths
• World 524,176
• USA 131,485
• Brazil 61,990

Source #1 Source #2

Holy shit, 1 million cases in one week. The virus is rolling now...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-05-2020 03:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Holy shit, 1 million cases in one week. The virus is rolling now...

Certainly is :!:

Reported cases Worldwide

27 June 9,906,585

29 June 10,395,643

1 July 10,792,494

3 July 10,991,872

5 July 11,544,660

Total deaths
• World 536,360
• USA 132,552
• Brazil 64,867

Source #1 Source #2

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-06-2020 07:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

At this rate, we’ll have 1 million per day very soon...

The fuct one!
The fuct one!
PostPosted: 07-06-2020 09:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Come up here to Vermont.

The government here isn't totally corrupt and crime rates are really low. Very socially-minded. And everybody's really nice. Winters suck if you don't like snow, but it's a dream if you like to ski or snowboard. The public school system is really good, but you pay for it in high property taxes. It's a rural state, but if you like solitude, you'll find plenty of peace and quiet depending on where you live. And there's almost no traffic anywhere. I hated VT when I first moved up here for college in '01, but as I've gotten older, it's really grown on me. :up:

That actually sounds refreshing and is definitely worth looking into. Thank you and I've heard nothing but good things about Vermont over the years.

Κracus wrote:
All jokes aside I actually love New York... If I could move there I totally would, aside from the current covid crisis that is... I'm probably seeing the city through rose colored glasses though as I was only there about a week but I enjoyed every minute. I was surprised at how few motorcycles drive around manhattan though and at the same time not so surprised seeing how people drive there.

I like NY and I have friends all over the state actually. However, most of my friends who work in my field usually work out of the city or remote-work from the city. With that said, a lot of them live in Jersey and they love it!

I actually LOVE visiting NY and the people are great! However, not sure if it's the life I'm looking for as it's so similar to Florida except state and federal taxes. Florida is federal taxes only.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 07-06-2020 10:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm back working at the hospital here in Austin. AMA... Or not... Either way, fuck off...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-06-2020 11:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I thought jobs were for morons?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 07-06-2020 01:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I work for fun.. i get to laff at the covidiots dying...

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-06-2020 02:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Geoff is just there so dying patients can see him and not feel so bad about their own lives.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-06-2020 02:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

raw wrote:
That actually sounds refreshing and is definitely worth looking into. Thank you and I've heard nothing but good things about Vermont over the years.

Also worth mentioning is the cleaner air. There's very little pollution, including light pollution. No smog and you can see the stars at night. There are a ton of lakes, too, so you'll have a place for your boat. As I was driving home from work today, I saw a few picturesque views as I crested some hills. They get even better around October as the leaves change. :up:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-07-2020 09:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Something I think a lot of people don’t understand about this virus and other disasters in general. The world and the universe don’t give a fuck about us. Everyone seems to think everything will go back to normal in a year or so after we get a vaccine. Or the virus will just fade away with herd immunity. But there’s no guarantee of any of that. We may have to live with this virus forever. Vaccines aren’t a guarantee. Normalcy isn’t a guarantee.

An asteroid could slam into Earth at any second. Yellowstone could blow up tomorrow. A sun flare could zap us and all our electronics could be gone. There’s no guarantee that we’ll ever be back to “normal”. We may be wearing masks for a long time.

That being said, I think we’ll be fine. But no guarantee...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-07-2020 09:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Something else...we know very little about this virus. It could lay dormant in our bodies for years or decades. Then out of the blue, bam! We’ve got some other kind of crisis. Just look at chickenpox. The chickenpox virus can lay dormant for years and then reactivate to cause shingles.

Herpes is another good example. Just ask Geoff...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-07-2020 09:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bolsonaro was diagnoses with COVID-19.
I hope it fucks him up good.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 07-07-2020 10:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Copied from a real man's discord channel...

Freakaloin

Oh no.. pregnant daughter and boyfriend sick with covid symptoms. 94 year old great grandmother short of breath. I feel fine though...
Am i immortal for real?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-07-2020 10:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

More than likely the virus saw your pathetic life and took pity on you...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-07-2020 10:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That cavalier attitude is cute, until a family member actually gets taken out by the virus.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-07-2020 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
More than likely the virus saw your pathetic life and thought "i ain't going near that shit"...

ftfy

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 07-07-2020 12:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:

Freakaloin

Oh no.. pregnant daughter and boyfriend sick with covid symptoms. 94 year old great grandmother short of breath. I feel fine though...
Am i immortal for real?

Dr. Dick Chop

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-07-2020 12:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:

Freakaloin

Am i immortal for real?

Awwww he misses our Discord channel

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-07-2020 01:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, Richard Chop. Fucking classic...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 07-07-2020 02:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doctors have confirmed I'm immune from coronavirus. They are using my blood for a cure... You're welcome world...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-07-2020 02:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mention of India last night on the news here :eek: and the toll accelerating.

Reported cases Worldwide

3 July 10,991,872

5 July 11,544,660

7 July 11,920,632

Total deaths
• World 545,278
• USA 133,816
• Brazil 66,741

Source #1 Source #2

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-08-2020 03:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4 days, 1 million...

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-08-2020 11:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:

Freakaloin

Am i immortal for real?

Would you like an invite?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-08-2020 12:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I've been wondering about something for some time now.
I see a lot of strong sentiments among American people where they strongly condemn people not wanting to lockdown, not wanting to wear a facemask and now most recently, against plans in Florida to re-open schools.

Quite often, there's an article about someone making a ruckus in a shop about (refusing to wear) facemasks and these people are often painted off as potential murderers and whatnot and anyone refusing to wear a mask deserves to have their entire family die from Covid-19 infections. You know, the typical internet talk.
There's also been a huge backlash against the plans in Florida. I read statements from people saying it's Republicans wanting to fuck up the teachers and how teachers and kids will die.
These are extreme examples, but the entire spectrum between reasonable thought and that is filled up.

What I wonder about is how (American) people in general would look at a country like The Netherlands.

We never went into full lockdown. Where possible, people work from home. Only essential (grocery) stores stayed open. Other non-essential stores stayed closed for a relatively short while. Recently, restaurants and bars were allowed to open up again. Hairdressers and the like as well.

There's a ban on gatherings with groups of people (recently relaxed to a max of 100). There is no mandatory facemask requirement, except in public transport where the required 1.5m distance is impossible to maintain.

Primary schools have been open for the past few weeks. Highschools are expected to open after summer break.
Testing for COVID-19 infections has only recently become available to everyone. Before it was only for healthcare workers.

And yet, we seem to be doing pretty well with these relaxed measures. No lockdown, no facemasks and open schools. If I have to believe my fellow American earthlings, us Dutch are supposedly hellspawn who do everything wrong.

Why is public perception so different between our countries?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-08-2020 01:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You're making a huge assumption that Americans have any knowledge of what goes on for the dutch. I'm pretty sure the majority couldn't point it out on a map, let alone give you an opinion on their handling of covid-19. That said, I share a border with the US, it's literally an hours drive from here. We currently have 0 covid-19 cases in our province..

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-08-2020 01:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's drilled into us from childhood. Between media, schooling, and family tradition, the zeitgeist of the USA puts a very high premium on personal freedom. Our country's history is, for better or worse, defined by our search for it. Everyone wants to own a few acres of land and a house, work for themselves and not have to ask anyone for help making it through life. The phrase "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" seems to be a mantra of the Republican party, for example. The Homestead Acts right after the civil war really kicked off this mentality.

Our political parties define themselves on what forms that personal freedom takes and who benefits from it, and the more polarized they become, the more you see the parties move toward the extremes. People will rationalize the most heinous shit if they think their party is in favor of it, because the parties have no moral compass and they are ruled by money, so party leaders don't make much effort to reign in their most ardent supporters. Which amplifies the polarization, and the cycle continues. Since our President has made mask-wearing political, it has become a visual representation of party affiliation for many people. State media like Fox News doesn't help matters, either.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 07-08-2020 02:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It sounds a lot like how we were handling it where I live. Mandatory masks in public just happened recently and we were doing ok before that. Of course we had a spike after the protests and all that, but I expected that and anyone that thinks they aren't directly related is deluding themselves. There are a lot of people that do go crazy with condemning people not wearing them. There are also a lot of people that think for the most part it's not necessary. I see debates about it everywhere and they can get pretty worked up over it like you said. The Democrats saying the Republicans are trying to kill people, the Republicans saying the Democrats just want to control everyone. :rolleyes: Both sides have lost their minds.

That being said, I agree with the way The Netherlands handled it as we were doing much the same and it seemed to be working for the most part. Our daily new cases dropped nearly to 0 and hadn't had a death for a while. Having only 5 total until this last week and now at 6. And given the time frame of the protests, I wouldn't be surprised to see a drop in the rate fairly soon to match.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 07-08-2020 05:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:

Why...u looking for a date?...

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-09-2020 07:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
Doombrain wrote:

Why...u looking for a date?...

Well?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.