Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Xbox S X - LOL

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Xbox S X - LOL

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-07-2020 12:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://www.techradar.com/news/xbox-series-x-games

Holy shit they really need to step this up if they want to beat PS... Some of these are shocking...

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 looks like it was made in 2008.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-07-2020 12:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Scorn looks good though, i'll get it that.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-07-2020 04:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think I saw anything particularly compelling in that list....

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-08-2020 12:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

One of the problems is that the further back in time you go, the bigger the visual differences are between different generations in consoles. And we're still expecting those kinds of differences when a new generation of consoles is announced.

Going from SNES to N64/PS1 was earth shattering. The transition from 2D to 3D was immense. XBox/PS2/GCN made a huge graphical leap over that. Xbox360/PS3 ushered in the era of HD graphics which was quite an obvious change as well. Then came XBox One and PS4 and... well... while it's obvious those could produce better graphics than the previous generation, the number of games released for XB1/PS4 as well as XB360/PS3 just is a testament to how small the difference really is.

Now going towards XBox X and PS5 we're seeing even more diminished returns. I'm guessing XBox X and PS5 are heavily investing in the 4K gaming thing, but honestly, that is a pretty negligible difference compared to what PS2 vs PS3 brought us. Also, 4K graphics don't translate well to a compressed YouTube video (certainly not on a 1080p display). What also doesn't help, I guess, is that all of the stuff they're showing for XBox X right now is stuff that probably would run perfectly well on our 2 year old gaming PC's.

So the only thing left to impress us is gameplay. And in that department, stuff like Dirt 5 and Madden 21 isn't gonna cut it. The rest of the videos just look really.... really uninspiring. Stuff I feel I've seen a bazillion times before.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-08-2020 12:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I said to DB yesterday that I thought that some of the best looking titles on the PS Pro looked pretty much as good as the stuff shown in the Series X presentation. It would appear that they are all going for the usage of ray tracing and what not to gloss things up. Also the leap is never going to be massive visually when they are aiming for 60fps @ 4k.

If that's the standard then they need to dial down the visual fidelity to make that happen. If Sony allow people from Santimonica or Guerilla to keep at 30fps and dial up the graphics, then that would be good. God of War on the PS Pro has 2 options; 30fps @ "4k" or 60fps @ 1080p. I say give people the option.

In fairness to Microsoft they have said that the Series X will do 120fps @ 1080p which could be interesting. I'd say the higher FPS is not needed for a story based single player game so you could easily get away with cutting the FPS for something that really blows your mind visually. Things like Call of Duty or things of that ilk will need the extra FPS.

Anyway, Scorn looks terrifying as does The Medium. The Ascent looks interesting and you got to see fuck all of AC:V that is representative of actual game play.

Smart delivery is the big takeaway for me - most welcome.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-08-2020 12:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Phil Spencer said something about this generation being as big a leap as 2D to 3D was. Unless ray tracing turns out to be some sort of crazy voodoo magic, I don't see that happening.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-08-2020 12:49 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep I don't think they're marketing it as *the next gen!*, but more like a progression much like the X/Pro were over their predecessors.
The fact that all your hardware and software will keep working underlines that. And the idea of Smart Delivery - no separate versions of a game per generation but just the one purchase and it will work on all three, with SD downloading the extra fidelity assets needed for your system.

To me the idea of 'next gen' seems outdated for reasons described by Eraser. It's an old concept that's rusted in our (old gamers) ways, and one that never really existed in the pc realm anyways.

The name SX is stupid but I feel it manages the expectations better than upping the version number like PS.

Those SX load times though :eek: I think PS5 is doing something similar.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-08-2020 01:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I’m normally a day one for Xbox but I didn’t see anything to make me give up my 1X. Btw, the 1X was bought because of the 1X only titles we were promised which never happened so seeing that “optimised for” logo isn’t a good sign.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-08-2020 01:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is how you do a game and then instant game play reveal (by having the camera on the dude actually playing it to a live orchestra...about 5 mins in if you want to skip straight to the game bit):

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-08-2020 02:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
I’m normally a day one for Xbox but I didn’t see anything to make me give up my 1X. Btw, the 1X was bought because of the 1X only titles we were promised which never happened so seeing that “optimised for” logo isn’t a good sign.

Yeah I'm still pretty miffed we didn't get VR on the one x. I'll be holding out for a bit on this one.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-08-2020 11:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For once I’m with you Rob.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-11-2020 07:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My friends call me Kracus. So yeah... you can call me Rob.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.