Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Unreal 5 engine demo on PS5

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Unreal 5 engine demo on PS5

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-13-2020 09:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If a game looks 80% that good on a PS5 then what they've achieved is fucking outrageous.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-13-2020 10:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The lighting and poly count was pretty impressive, but that water effect was wank.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-13-2020 10:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dayum that looks good. now all it needs is a game that doesn't suck

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-13-2020 11:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
dayum that looks good. now all it needs is a game that doesn't suck

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-13-2020 12:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shame about the compression artefacts in the first part of the video.

And yeah, people used to say that id made engines but not games. When's the last time Epic made anything that wasn't Fortnight?

My conclusion is that Q3 is better than UT.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-13-2020 02:36 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Was just about to post this. Xbox is fucked unless they are holding back.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-13-2020 02:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mat Linnett wrote:
My conclusion is that Q3 is better than UT.

nah, it's different, not better. i still fire up UT2004 now and then and it's a blast, even against bots

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-13-2020 02:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Old joke, old man ;)

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-13-2020 04:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:

Miscrosoft can still win the "console war" this generation by undercutting Sony's price for the PS5. Sony is worth like $80bn and Microsoft is worth over $1.4tn. Both companies are likely expecting to take a loss on the sale of the hardware, but if MS charges $400 to Sony's $500, I think it will make a big difference.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-13-2020 07:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wonder how much storage space all that data takes up? It'll have to have some magical compression or megatexture type tricks if they're going to make a full length game with that much data.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-13-2020 11:23 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:

They chose PS5 to render this demo for whatever reason, but I don't doubt for a second they won't have an XBox X build lying around as well. Unreal Engine has always been platform agnostic.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-13-2020 11:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Compare that to this Unreal Engine 3 tech demo from 2004, and they're proudly talking millions of triangles, versus the billions they mentioned in the UE5 video :)

edit:
id Software in 2001: "hold my beer"

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-14-2020 01:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Doombrain wrote:

They chose PS5 to render this demo for whatever reason, but I don't doubt for a second they won't have an XBox X build lying around as well. Unreal Engine has always been platform agnostic.

I think you're right but if i was the product manager for the new xbox i'd be going crazy at management now for choosing to show trumped up this gen xbox games.

Sony have pulled a blinder here, shot them out of the water. They both have to bring forward release dates as the target market are not going to be spending on a new system in 2021 unless it's a huge step given the crash. Sony have just captured a huge chuck of the early adopter market. I'd put money on xbox doing another wire update soon with exclusives....

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-14-2020 01:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
I'd put money on xbox doing another wire update soon with exclusives....

I'd hold on to your money if I was you.
Remember the Xbox One presentation? When 80% of the time they talked about using your XBox as a glorified set top box? I don't think they ever fully recovered from that.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-14-2020 02:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And the instant app swap

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-14-2020 02:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah that was pretty slick in the demo they showed... I want to hear about VR though, I'm not touching a new xbox unless they confirm VR for it.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-14-2020 03:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

if they allowed 3rd party headsets live vibe, it would fly off the shelf but they'll push their own kit which makes it almost commercially unviable.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-14-2020 04:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wonder how a push for VR on consoles would work out. An Oculus Rift S will set you back $400. Valve's Index is over $1000. Are those amounts of money people will be willing to spend on something that's still relatively niche after buying a $500 - $600 console?
I know the same question goes for PC gamers, but with a $1000 PC instead of a $500 console, but for some reason I feel PC gamers are more willing to spend that amount of money, not in the least because the headset price is a smaller percentage of their gaming rig cost.

Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if especially Sony is coming with some sort of VR offering. Morpheus 2 or something?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-14-2020 06:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sony will absolutely have PS:VR2 in the works. The extra horsepower that they can exploit might actually make the games worth playing.

And I agree with DB; Sony have, in one single video, blown Microsoft's presentation out of the water. This was "game play" along with technical information and demonstrations of how the tech works, not a bunch of trailers.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-15-2020 04:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Really fucking impressive

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 05-16-2020 04:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

when i was a kid, xbox was what the pleb kids played? did this ever change over the years?

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-16-2020 05:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
when i was a kid, xbox was what the pleb kids played? did this ever change over the years?

The 360 was head and shoulders above the PS3 for most of the gen

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 05-16-2020 05:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Epic confirms it also runs on XBSX

Quote:
The Unreal Engine 5 demo on PlayStation 5 was the culmination of years of discussions between Sony and Epic on future graphics and storage architectures.

The Nanite and Lumen tech powering it will be fully supported on both PS5 and Xbox Series X and will be awesome on both.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TimSweeneyEp ... tosize%3D1

I agree with DB. Someone at MS is really mad now regarding the decision about their showing.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 05-16-2020 06:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They need to prove that shit ASAP

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 05-16-2020 06:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Pext wrote:

The 360 was head and shoulders above the PS3 for most of the gen

yeah. but was it on a cultural level?

it always seemed to me that xbox was heavily tied to the US market with "dumb american" titles like halo or gears of war that have a militaristic ideal at its core while the PS had more of the artsy stuff like shadow of the collossus and silent hill 2

edit: when i played gears of war for the first time, it felt like a recruitment game for the US army.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 05-16-2020 07:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
edit: when i played gears of war for the first time, it felt like a recruitment game for the US army.

Wtf :olo:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 05-16-2020 08:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He's not wrong, lots of shooters on early xbox titles but there's a lot of variety today and the xbox controller is far superior.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 05-16-2020 08:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.