Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Car port conversion...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Car port conversion...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 10:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I'm about to do one...may need some help from u guys...prolly fuck it up but it's fun trying...

Btw...if ya wanna buy a 5 person hot tub give me a call...gotta get it out of there...$1200 bucks bitches...

U mad?...

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 11:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ask ur wife

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 11:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can you ship that hot-tub up North? I'd love to sit around in the snow whilst drinking liquor in a hot-tub.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 11:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sure just pay for it...

Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 12:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

are you making a room into a garage or the other way around?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 12:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You'd probably do well to go to the hardware store and pickup a book on this subject. Yeah, you can find this crap on the net, but it's often not well written and a book is good because you can bring it with you while you work. If you've never done something like this, it's indispensable. I rebuilt my back deck last year and I had never done anything like it, but I bought a Black & Decker guide to decking and it pretty much walked me through step by step, turned out fine.

Make sure you include a room for growing weed

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 01:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:
Can you ship that hot-tub up North? I'd love to sit around in the snow whilst drinking liquor in a hot-tub.

Gotta wash away all the vomit and baby shit first.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 01:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
are you making a room into a garage or the other way around?

We have a 3 car garage on other side of house. It's an old car port which is already half converted with two sliding glass doors in front. The back is open and that where I'm adding a wall with windows and a door then lay some tile, add hvac, siding inside and out. Etc

Gonna turn it into a req room...couch, tv, workout equipment, drums Xbox etc...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 01:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mrd wrote:
You'd probably do well to go to the hardware store and pickup a book on this subject. Yeah, you can find this crap on the net, but it's often not well written and a book is good because you can bring it with you while you work. If you've never done something like this, it's indispensable. I rebuilt my back deck last year and I had never done anything like it, but I bought a Black & Decker guide to decking and it pretty much walked me through step by step, turned out fine.

Make sure you include a room for growing weed

I have bought the books, but the best DIY shit is actually on YouTube. Few very good channels that walk u through everything...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 01:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol books

Why not just set it on fire and let the insurance company pay for an entirely new addition to your house? It works for some rednecks.

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 01:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
So I'm about to do one...may need some help from u guys...prolly fuck it up but it's fun trying...

Btw...if ya wanna buy a 5 person hot tub give me a call...gotta get it out of there...$1200 bucks bitches...

U mad?...

lol poor ppl...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 02:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tell ur parents that they can keep their cars and the motorcycle they bought u (for promising to not have sex with men anymore) in my 3 car garage...for a small fee of course...

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 02:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol you're still bitter about the domination I reigned upon you with my vastly superior vehicles... probably going to be a while until you start to slowly recover, if ever. :olo:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 03:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your parents cars are shit old base model cars...u lose chump...

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 03:45 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol you're still so butthurt you're keeping up that angle of denial... I win...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 03:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

After you build this garage you and lawl should have a brawl to the death in there, live broadcast to queue three dubs.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 03:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sounds wicked !

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 03:56 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All I would have to do is tip his wheelchair over.

PostPosted: 12-01-2012 04:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sounds like a nice room... i guess just worry about the finishing, the structural part isn't too complicated.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 05:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For the drums, build a raised platform, fill it with sand (no joke) and finish it off. The sand gives the kick drum some serious power.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 05:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

geoff should just get a twitter account and spare us his home improvement stories

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 12-01-2012 05:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's only 1 port and it's new

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-02-2012 02:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what about Port(h)?

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-02-2012 06:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heres the space...

gonna put 3 6'x3' windows on wall where hot tub is it and a 32" glass door on landing. build a shallow storage cabinet the length of the wall to cover stone, plumbing and electrical...to the left in the pics. etc etc... the joists run parallel with the wall i have to build so i got put cross bracing in to support wall...should be fun...

yes i know i need to repaint railings...house is same age as me...fuck u...

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 12-02-2012 06:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Geoff lives in a shed. :olo:

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-02-2012 06:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i don't live in that...but its still much better than living under your bridge home...

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 12-02-2012 06:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol @ poor people who are forced to do youtube renovations of their shed and sell bathtubs on gaming forums...

plained
plained
PostPosted: 12-02-2012 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice space lots of potencial looks like fun

i would just take the rails off and get them media blasted then maybe a nice coat of hammertone

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 12-02-2012 07:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interesting space... Though it dose sound like you are preparing to make some basic upgrades to a space that may need a lot more work. First question you have to ask is how long do you plan to live there. When you make upgrades you should take into account the longevity of the space. Looking at pic 1 the space isn't very well insulated. This will make it almost unbearable to use when it's cold. If you close it in the unconditioned space will also be uncomfortable to use in the warmer months. Looking at pic 2 it seems like you may have some sort of structural issue with the slab (lower right corner). I presume that's a small storage closet. However the roof looks to be all in one. If that area start to sink it could affect the integrity of the remaining roof. Looking at pic 3 I noticed that you have a flat gravel roof. Those may have been a good idea for a carport. But they are a bad idea for a living/recreational space. 1) They are not usually insulated. If they are it's never enough. 2) In a remodel it's difficult to nearly impossible to run A/C duct or electrical through them. 3) Depending on the age they are prone to leaks, rotting wood and drainage problems. The railings also look like they need to be tended to as well.

If you're only going to live there for a few years, I guess do whatever you want. But if you're planing to live there for a long time you need to do some serious thinking about that space. I'd tear down the existing structure. Check the existing foundation's integrity and make the necessary improvements. Then build a new pitched roof structure with A/C, electric and plumbing that suits your needs.

Your Daddy
Your Daddy
PostPosted: 12-02-2012 08:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So do the opposite of whatever gwamps says and you'll be fine.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-02-2012 08:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gonna live here a long time. It's insulated all around and it don't get cold here. Former raccoon family's home under storage. It's stable. We're gonna pit a ductless mini split or something for hvac. I'll be grinding off railings by hot tub and other side of landing and repair and paint railing soon. That railing is all over house to lots of work:(

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-02-2012 09:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll give ya $750 for the hot tub...

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 12-02-2012 09:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dark Metal wrote:
So do the opposite of whatever gwamps says and you'll be fine.

Seeing how I've been in the construction business for the past 20+ and you're just a hapless internet mod, your advice sounds solid Deep Meat-hole. :olo:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 12-02-2012 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
Gonna live here a long time. It's insulated all around and it don't get cold here. Former raccoon family's home under storage. It's stable. We're gonna pit a ductless mini split or something for hvac. I'll be grinding off railings by hot tub and other side of landing and repair and paint railing soon. That railing is all over house to lots of work:(

You should, at the very least, look into doing some kind of pitched roof system. Those gravel roofs end up being a constant headache.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-02-2012 10:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I'll give ya $750 for the hot tub...

Fuck u...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.