Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Michael Brooks

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Michael Brooks

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-21-2020 08:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I saw the devastating news last night that Michael Brooks had suddenly passed away at age 37. Anyone else here familiar with his work? He was an incredible journalist, breaking down imperialist policies of neo-liberals and conservatives, as well as the far-reaching crimes committed by apartheid states such as South Africa and Israel. He was a brilliant debater and could've easily had a career as a comedian with his quick wit. His impersonations of the IDW morons like Jordan Peterson and Ben Shapiro were fucking incredible, not to mention his "right-wing Nelson Mandela" and "nation of islam Obama". His and Glenn Greenwald's thorough reporting on the false imprisonment of Lula da Silva by Brazil's fascists led to him actually being released from jail. Only 37 years old and was already one of the greatest progressive voices of my generation. I never met him yet I feel a huge personal loss with his passing. It's amazing how many people's lives he affected in a positive way.

https://jacobinmag.com/2020/07/remember ... ael-brooks

RIP Michael Jamal Brooks

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-21-2020 09:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This last week has been awful. First John Lewis, then Grant Imahara, now Michael Brooks. :tear:

I watch a lot of progressive political news, and I'm kind of shocked I never really got into his work. I watch several shows adjacent to his, like The Young Turks and Majority Report, and the outpouring of grief I've seen was really humbling. Seems I really missed out. He's the same age as me, too. Kind of puts my own accomplishments into perspective.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-22-2020 01:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm finally reading his book 'Against The Web: A Cosmopolitan Answer To The New Right', it's highly recommended if you want to get into his work. There's also hours and hours of his podcasts on Majority Report and The Michael Brooks Show you can listen through. He's responsible for making a lot of righties and self-appointed libertarians see the reason behind the progressive ideology.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.