Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        80% of euros use manual transmissions...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 80% of euros use manual transmissions...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 07-29-2020 06:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wtf is wrong with these morons?...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-29-2020 08:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We know how to properly drive a car

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-30-2020 12:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
We know how to properly drive a car

This

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-30-2020 01:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OP is too dumb to drive stick. figures...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-30-2020 03:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You aren't a real man until you've driven a manual, everyone knows that. Shit, my car doesn't even have an automatic option, if you can't drive stick you'll never drive an STI.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-30-2020 04:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Shit, my car doesn't even have an automatic option, if you can't drive stick you'll never drive an STI.

Manually shifted cars can never be put in an automatic mode.
I believe semi-automatic cars only allow you to shift up and down like a sequential gear box. Can't go directly from 5th back to 3rd.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-30-2020 04:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I’ve known how to drive a stick since I was 8. I have an ‘82 CJ7 that’s a four speed manual. But my daily driver is an automatic. Cause why the fuck do I want to drive a manual every day?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 07-30-2020 05:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a 8 speed double clutch in my BMW and love it. Fuck manuals.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-30-2020 07:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Κracus wrote:
Shit, my car doesn't even have an automatic option, if you can't drive stick you'll never drive an STI.

Manually shifted cars can never be put in an automatic mode.
I believe semi-automatic cars only allow you to shift up and down like a sequential gear box. Can't go directly from 5th back to 3rd.

Obviously but that's not what I meant.

I mean you cannot buy an automatic Subaru WRX STI. They don't exist, Subaru only makes them in a manual option. You can get an automatic WRX however.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 07-30-2020 10:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I learned to drive on a manual... I have had at least a dozen cars with manual transmissions. Wtf would i want one now? Unless i was a moron...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-30-2020 11:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All I'm hearing is you used to drive manual, were probably shit at it and now want an automatic. I understand, you were probably scared.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-30-2020 11:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
All I'm hearing is you used to drive manual, were probably shit at it and now want an automatic. I understand, you were probably scared.

:up:

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 07-30-2020 12:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

manual transmissions are fun until you drive in rush hour traffic.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 07-30-2020 12:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fucking euros... :olo: ...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-30-2020 01:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I honestly don't disagree with scared and shaft.
If you're driving a boring old middle class family car like me, a manual gear box has no real benefits.

Holding down the clutch in a traffic jam is a bitch.

I guess 20 - 30 years ago, automatics were just shit at choosing the right moment to change gears, so Euro's didn't want them. Americans did because they drive like shit anyway. The performance gap between automatics and manual has become so small for day-to-day use, there's no real benefits anymore, but Euro's traditionally stick to the (cheaper) manual option.

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 07-30-2020 01:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I guess 20 - 30 years ago, automatics were just shit at choosing the right moment to change gears, so Euro's didn't want them. Americans did because they drive like shit anyway. The performance gap between automatics and manual has become so small for day-to-day use, there's no real benefits anymore, but Euro's traditionally stick to the (cheaper) manual option.

I would agree with this. At one time they might have been problematic. Not so anymore. I learned how to drive on a standard and have no problem doing it now. All of my work vehicles have been standard up until just a few years ago. I see no reason to do it other than a slight price difference. As you said there's really no benefit anymore.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 07-30-2020 05:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Americans did because they drive like shit anyway.

:rolleyes:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-31-2020 02:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The biggest reason for Americas having autos is simply the distances driven; you don't have the same sorts of roads as we do in Europe.

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 07-31-2020 09:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah they are non gay in America...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-31-2020 09:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:

You're doing it wrong then, best part about a manual in rush hour traffic is that when you're not moving you can just take both feet off the pedals and leave it in neutral if you aren't on an incline. So relaxing. If your legs get tired pushing a clutch consider getting off your ass more often and using your fucking legs.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 07-31-2020 10:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who hurt you

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 07-31-2020 10:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
shaft wrote:

You're doing it wrong then, best part about a manual in rush hour traffic is that when you're not moving you can just take both feet off the pedals and leave it in neutral if you aren't on an incline. So relaxing. If your legs get tired pushing a clutch consider getting off your ass more often and using your fucking legs.

dang, is that how manual transmissions work? please tell us more. Next time I’ll be sure to only drive in rush hour not on an incline with long enough pauses to relax in neutral. :up:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-31-2020 10:29 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Meh, you're on the brakes all the time in an automatic anyway, incline or not!

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 07-31-2020 10:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dang, is that how automatic transmissions work? please tell us more.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 07-31-2020 11:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh I'm sorry, I guess conversations aren't allowed here.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 07-31-2020 12:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
Yeah they are non gay in America...

Straight roads for morons like you

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-01-2020 11:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
shaft wrote:

Pro-tip, you can put an auto in neutral as well. Works the same. :idea:

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-01-2020 11:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
The biggest reason for Americas having autos is simply the distances driven; you don't have the same sorts of roads as we do in Europe.

Not sure how that makes any difference. Especially distance driving. Once you're at speed in either one there's really no difference and autos do just fine on short curvy roads.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 08-01-2020 11:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The real reason is that fatty Americans like to eat while they drive. You need one hand free to do that. :tard:

Actually, it's probably because the government has been subsidizing the cost of oil for ages. Car makers weren't incentivised to sell manual transmission vehicles back when they were markedly more fuel efficient. Even though it's less of a factor in fuel efficiency these days, so few people know how to drive them now that it doesn't make financial sense to sell them. :shrug:

Pestilence
Pestilence
PostPosted: 08-01-2020 12:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
so few people know how to drive them now that it doesn't make financial sense to sell them. :shrug:

GenZ anti theft device. I guess a lot of Millennials as well. Everyone I grew up with knew how to drive one.

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 08-01-2020 04:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Captain Doofus is right. Why on earth would you want a manual car unless you are on a racing track?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.