Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Perserverance

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Perserverance

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-30-2020 01:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53584405

another Mars rover, looking for life in the big lake thing. as well as cameras and loads of science stuff, it also has microphones so I guess we can listen to the landing

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 07-30-2020 02:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not sure how much of it we'll hear, what with 1/1000 the atmosphere. But I hope the thing lands OK. :up:

Blockheaded Blubberboy
Blockheaded Blubberboy
PostPosted: 07-30-2020 04:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There's a flying drone too.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-31-2020 02:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Not sure how much of it we'll hear, what with 1/1000 the atmosphere. But I hope the thing lands OK. :up:

yeah but imagine the potential for memes and spookiness

NASA sound guys turn up the volume and we hear, very faintly, Jeffrey Epstein didn't kill himself

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 07-31-2020 05:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just pissed myself :)

But, yep, it probably will actually be able to do just that:

Quote:
SuperCam includes a microphone so scientists can listen each time the laser hits a target. The popping sound created by the laser subtly changes depending on a rock's material properties.

"The microphone serves a practical purpose by telling us something about our rock targets from a distance. But we can also use it to directly record the sound of the Martian landscape or the rover's mast swiveling,"

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7591

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 08-04-2020 02:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YourGrandpa wrote:
There's a flying drone too.

A drone? It is a rare atmosphere so that will be interesting. I better look this up. Thanks for the mention :up:

Very interesting..

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.