Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Bethesda....now part of Microsoft

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Bethesda....now part of Microsoft

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 09-21-2020 07:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-21-2020 07:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thats pretty huge.
Also not necessarily a bad thing, if you look how MS is handling gaming nowadays.

inb4 mad ppl about Rare.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-21-2020 10:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake 5 an xbox exclusive!

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-21-2020 10:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I’m not against this buy-out. Microsoft has been making some big moves. As long as we keep getting Fallout and Elder Scrolls, I’m good...:up:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-21-2020 10:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I wonder what we would have said about such a development 20 years ago....

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 09-21-2020 11:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's a big play for MS; I assume they will just add all the games onto Game Pass to play as day one, but not make them all exclusive so they get revenue for the PS5 sales to offset the costs of development and basically giving away the game via their subscription based service. That sub based service is not very profitable, so they need to do something in order to get some cash back.

Either that or they make them exclusives and pump them full of microtransactions to cover costs, which would be terrible.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-21-2020 11:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
I wonder what we would have said about such a development 20 years ago....

Hate. And lots of it.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 09-21-2020 11:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so Doom Eternal is the last game and release to run with windows 7 :ducky:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 09-21-2020 12:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmmm...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-21-2020 12:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
https://bethesda.net/en/article/1iLtcvwY6Nb1GeKADyDUEX/why-microsoft-is-the-perfect-fit?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Community

Crikey...didn't see that coming

Very interesting news. It just might be a positive move for PC gaming (and these new video cards) and the industry in general.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-21-2020 02:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Woah, big news indeed. Hopefully that'll put paid to some of Bethesda / Zenimax's shadier business practices.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-21-2020 10:07 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
It's a big play for MS; I assume they will just add all the games onto Game Pass to play as day one, but not make them all exclusive so they get revenue for the PS5 sales to offset the costs of development and basically giving away the game via their subscription based service. That sub based service is not very profitable, so they need to do something in order to get some cash back.

Either that or they make them exclusives and pump them full of microtransactions to cover costs, which would be terrible.

They bought a few of today's biggest IPs. Theyre not going to cut out two thirds of their potential customers by making these exclusive.
If anything MS has been opening up their games lately rather than making them exclusive, like Minecraft being released (with crossplay) on every platform out there.

Edit: they said they'd honour the exclusivity contracts Beth has with sony for Deathloop and Ghostwire.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 09-21-2020 11:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

TIFsenior wrote:

And Vulkan is dead, with M$ it will be DirectX12/Windows10 and nothing else.

denzii.visible = false
denzii.visible = false
PostPosted: 10-05-2020 10:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I suppose if M$ buys up all the gaming developers there will be no competition and all of us will be a paying a monthly or yearly subscription to our games.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 10-05-2020 10:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

TIFsenior wrote:
TIFsenior wrote:

And Vulkan is dead, with M$ it will be DirectX12/Windows10 and nothing else.

Windows 7 works with DX12 on certain games and Cyberpunk 2077 will run on it so I'm not sure where you're getting that from. I have no love for Microsoft and had lots of issues with W10 initially, but they did a decent job of supporting an 11-yr old OS.

Now that the bugs are gone and you can turn off all the intrusive online checks and background shit, W10 is fine.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-05-2020 12:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i like windows 10. glad i waited until feb this year to adopt it though. heard a lot of horror stories about the initial release

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 10-06-2020 02:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's still kinda shit unless you're using a professionally managed system.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 10-06-2020 12:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how exactly?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 10-06-2020 03:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I haven't had any problems with Windows 10, really. Maybe 1 BSOD ever, almost no lockups or forced restarts. :shrug:

Edit: OK 2 BSOD's, but the second one was because I accidentally disconnected the (C:) drive once. I pulled a tab before realizing it was a hard drive quick-release. "What's this do?" :dork:

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 03-08-2021 12:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The European Commission gives the green light for the takeover of ZeniMax Media - and its many video game studios - by Microsoft.

Last September, Microsoft announced the acquisition of ZeniMax Media, which brings together many video game development studios. ZeniMax is indeed the parent company of Bethesda Softworks, Bethesda Game Studios, id Software, ZeniMax Online Studios, Arkane, MachineGames, Tango Gameworks, Alpha Dog and Roundhouse Studios.

For this buyout at 7.5 billion dollars, the European Commission gives its unconditional approval, considering that the concentration "does not raise serious doubts as to its compatibility with the common market." It is carried out via a merger within the framework of from which a Microsoft subsidiary called Vault will be merged with ZeniMax.

With the finalization of this costly transaction, the number of Microsoft video game creation studios will increase to 23.

source : https://www.generation-nt.com/microsoft-zenimax-bethesda-rachat-europe-actualite-1986080.html

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 03-10-2021 12:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Phil Spencer, executive vice president, Gaming at Microsoft :

"With the addition of the Bethesda creative teams, gamers should know that Xbox consoles, PC, and Game Pass will be the best place to experience new Bethesda games (Doom, Wolfenstein) including some new titles in the future that will be exclusive to Xbox and PC players."

source : https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/03/09/officially-welcoming-bethesda-to-the-xbox-family/

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-10-2021 05:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I’m so ready for Starfield...

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-12-2021 10:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-12-2021 10:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MKJ wrote:

While these days I can't really get excited over any dev using any specific engine, I do feel that id Software really lost its position as technology pusher since Bethesda bought them out. Doom 3's idTech4 engine was arguably the last one that really pushed the technological frontier (albeit, really in tandem with Source 2 and partly UE3). Since then id Software hasn't released anything that really shows stuff we hadn't seen in other games as well.

Maybe if MS is really pushing for idTech to be used in more games, they can focus a bit more on building their engines as middleware that really pushed the envelope again.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-12-2021 11:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think MS wants to create the next breakthrough engine.
It's either about adding choices for new devs - right now your options basically limited to UE, Unity or create your own. For MS to get in there they don't need to be the best, they just have to get by.
Or, their goal is to spread the idTech to any of their 23(!) in house developers and cut down on engine licensing or dev costs. For that, again, they only need to get by. And it's not like Doom Eternal's engine is anything to sneeze at, either.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 03-12-2021 12:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They took a shot with crackdown 3 and fucked the pooch on that one.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 03-12-2021 02:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
MKJ wrote:
I do feel that id Software really lost its position as technology pusher since Bethesda bought them out.

I suspect that's down to Carmack leaving.

Not necessarily that any one man can be solely responsible for the complexity of a modern game engine; no, rather that with Carmack's influence gone, Bethesda back-tracked on a lot of what made previous id games special. No community tools, no open-sourcing of the previous iteration's code, that sort of stuff.
Granted, we've seen a lot of very good games come out based on id's IP since the takeover, significantly more than id would have released in the same time period with their "when it's done approach".

But Bethesda very noticeably circled their wagons and shut down relations with the community, while favouring the monetary value of the intellectual properties over the positive feedback loop of open source and modding communities.

It'll be interesting to see if Microsoft re-introduce some of that culture back in to id. At the enterprise level, they're incredibly supportive of FOSS.
But I suspect that culture isn't company-wide, which can be seen in how games downloaded through their store are incredibly anti-mod, retaining none of the games' folder structures.

We've also yet to see if Microsoft will keep up Bethesda's onerous legal behaviour. I suspect not, as the man responsible for much of that is now dead (Robert A. Altman).

But even so, having multiple developers owned by one massive mega-corporation can't be a good thing. While I'm not convinced this is the case with Microsoft quite yet, it's beginning to look very anti-competitive.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-13-2021 12:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I do feel that id Software really lost its position as technology pusher since Bethesda bought them out.

I'd argue that Carmack was one of the reasons some of ids games were not that good. He was all about the tech and the game played second fiddle to it. Don't forget he did the RAGE engine (id tech 5) which was all about the mega textures. While they were first introduced in id tech 4, they did really get put to work until RAGE came out. In theory they are a great idea, but in practice actually lots you a large amount of visual fidelity. It's why id tech 7 looks so much more crisp than id tech 6, the last of id engines to use megatextures.

Doom and Doom Eternal were much more focused on the gameplay and it shows. For all of Carmack's skill, I don't think id miss him, especially given they have Tiago Sousa in his place.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-13-2021 01:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I believe Rage's (lack of) qualities as a game was mostly down to Tim Willits. I think Marty Stratton and Hugo Martin are two very positive influences on game design within id Software.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.