Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Any sailors about Q3W?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Any sailors about Q3W?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-23-2020 02:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I scored a trip on a ocean going yacht soon. Vessel specifications ~ length 14m & breadth 5 m, 2 toilets & showers, 3 bedrooms and lots of head room.

When chatting to the Captain and owner over some beers weeks ago, I mentioned I'd like to hop aboard for a sail, never thinking he would entertain the idea. He is a very experienced yachtsman having done the grueling Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race maybe a dozen times. Seems I got my wish and I really look forward to the adventure.

First stop heading north is to be Lady Elliot Island and then, weather permitting we are to extend our voyage to wherever the wind takes us Image

So just asking then, anyone here done similar and care to share your experience?

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-23-2020 02:51 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I sailed when I was younger, but not yachts. Catamarans and windsurfing mostly, so I don't think my experience would translate to what you're doing.

Sounds really cool, and I'm a tad envious Whiskey :)

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 09-23-2020 03:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like fun. Added bonus, you can't get much more socially distanced from people than being on a boat in the open ocean. :up:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-24-2020 02:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Try Grinder.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-24-2020 05:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Never sailed on a sail boat but I fished lobster on a commercial fishing vessel in my youth. I don't get seasick but was told to have a hearty breakfast before going out to sea, I've heard the opposite from others. Gravol chewing tablets apparently help a lot for seasickness and I'd recommend you have some handy in case it arises. Be weary of ropes hanging and especially ones lying on the ground, they can get pulled quickly, wrap around your foot and pull you out to sea, I've seen this almost happen. Check the weather forecast before you go and trust your judgement, you want to avoid high winds especially, even if the captain is confident it won't be a big deal go with your own gut instinct. Be weary of beams that can hit your head, sail boats especially as they can move around and take you out pretty easy if you're in someones blind spot when they're adjusting for wind. Bring shoes that grip well in the wet and warm, water resistant clothing just in case.

Other than that, enjoy the ocean breeze and have fun! I miss it, I haven't been out on a boat in decades. I still go kayaking once in awhile but not at all the same thing. I've been in rough waters before, don't be timid about standing on a wall or engine compartment if the waves throws the boat sideways enough and just keep yourself lightfooted but hopefully it'll be smooth sailing and none of that will be needed.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-24-2020 07:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you mean you did one day, or possibly a few hours on a commercial fishing vessel in your youth but was sent ashore because you didn't make the cut?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-24-2020 07:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I worked an entire season. Work started at 4am and we were generally done for the day by 3pm. I worked out of a small town called Cap-Lumiere near where I was born, my godfather owned the boat. I baited and set the traps while my uncle hauled them out of the water and emptied them. Godfather captained the boat. Biggest catch was a 17.5lb lobster, he was so big he didn't even fit in the trap but stubbornly refused to let go of the nail where the bait was when it was being hauled out of the water. That job is actually the reason I went into IT work. I decided as we were traveling from one trap location to another that I didn't want to do manual labor my whole life and would prefer doing something that required mental work.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-24-2020 04:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
Never sailed on a sail boat but I fished lobster on a commercial fishing vessel in my youth. I don't get seasick but was told to have a hearty breakfast before going out to sea, I've heard the opposite from others. Gravol chewing tablets apparently help a lot for seasickness and I'd recommend you have some handy in case it arises. Be weary of ropes hanging and especially ones lying on the ground, they can get pulled quickly, wrap around your foot and pull you out to sea, I've seen this almost happen. Check the weather forecast before you go and trust your judgement, you want to avoid high winds especially, even if the captain is confident it won't be a big deal go with your own gut instinct. Be weary of beams that can hit your head, sail boats especially as they can move around and take you out pretty easy if you're in someones blind spot when they're adjusting for wind. Bring shoes that grip well in the wet and warm, water resistant clothing just in case.

Other than that, enjoy the ocean breeze and have fun! I miss it, I haven't been out on a boat in decades. I still go kayaking once in awhile but not at all the same thing. I've been in rough waters before, don't be timid about standing on a wall or engine compartment if the waves throws the boat sideways enough and just keep yourself lightfooted but hopefully it'll be smooth sailing and none of that will be needed.

:up:

The Captain told of a story of one event and in big seas where one chap ended up hanging on for dear life off the rear deck rail after being 'ejected' and the other crewman below deck saying he'd broken his leg :eek: in a freak wave encounter.

Reading your mention of ropes and beams, yes things to be vary of.

I haven't got a sail date yet but it could be next weekend. I am off to help provision/prepare the boat early next week after we partake fish & chips and champagne with our other halves this weekend :up: :

I am not too worried. If I was I wouldn't be going. Still, I'll sleep with a life jacket at hand :)

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 09-24-2020 11:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
I worked an entire season. Work started at 4am and we were generally done for the day by 3pm. I worked out of a small town called Cap-Lumiere near where I was born, my godfather owned the boat. I baited and set the traps while my uncle hauled them out of the water and emptied them. Godfather captained the boat. Biggest catch was a 17.5lb lobster, he was so big he didn't even fit in the trap but stubbornly refused to let go of the nail where the bait was when it was being hauled out of the water. That job is actually the reason I went into IT work. I decided as we were traveling from one trap location to another that I didn't want to do manual labor my whole life and would prefer doing something that required mental work.

Fair enough. Nice work in the summer...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-25-2020 03:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah it was pretty cool when I was working as lobster season starts in October if I recall correctly.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-26-2020 06:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sounds like good fun coming your way, Whiskey.

I learned sailing as a young teen. You need to have a license here for larger boats (> 10 meters I think) on lakes and within the 3-mile.

First summer was about smaller boats, 1-man and then 3-men.
The final test was a regatta on the Flensburg Fjord.
Around 100 boats were participating, ranging from ~10 year olds in small 1-mans to ~16 year olds on 3-men.
Around the midpoint the weather turned nasty. And I mean really nasty. Windforce around 8, rain and a drop in temperature.
The waves grew up to 1.5 meters.
It was not just uncomfortable, it was scary.
Around a third of the boats hauled in the sails, sitting it out.
Another third (all of the faster 1-mans called "Piraten") capsized and had to rescued.
I was in a 3-man crew and we were lucky we only had around 1/4th of the way left which we made.

The second summer was for the >10 meters-license.
1 week of studying the theoreticals and then 2 weeks of sailing on an old 20 meter boat with two masts.
We were around 20 young teens on that boat. Was a great time. Unfortunately we had hardly any wind for the whole turn.

And in the third summer my father was able to persuade a friend of his to lend him a 25-meter with three masts.
We made a 3 weeks-turn in the Aegaeis, just my parents, my brother and me.
It was quite cool except for one evening when the weather turned bad and the waves got really high, around 3 meters.
The wind wasn't even blowing heavily at that moment but we wanted to get to a safe harbour fast. So we set the spinaker as we were running before the wind. And then, around 20 minutes later the wind came up to sick speeds.
I remember my father playing it cool while the three of us got more and more nervous :).
Some time later the wind had gotten so bad, we had to haul in the spinacker. That turned out to be horribly complicated and dangerous with almost no ability to maneuver because of the waves.
At one point my mother no longer was able to hold on to the sheet she had to control and it slipt through her fingers. That left a nasty burn all over them.
We arrived in the harbour when it was already dark night.

Yeah, have fun Whiskey ;)

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 09-26-2020 01:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ngl when i saw the thread title i thought of CaseDogg

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-26-2020 09:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
ngl when i saw the thread title i thought of CaseDogg

CaseDogg, there's a name to remember

Lovely fish & chips and champagne with our other halves for Sunday lunch went down a treat:up:
We are meeting up tomorrow to write up a shopping list and menu :) Later in the week, fit the BBQ, tender & outboard and stock up. Safety brief etc on Friday and set sail early Saturday AM if all is well with the weather.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-09-2020 11:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Home, safe & sound so just maybe story an pics later.

Great ocean sail experience and some quiet time. Just one word suffices, marvelous :up:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 10-10-2020 09:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Welcome back! :up:

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 10-14-2020 09:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A quick video compilation of my recent 8 night sailing adventure.

Pictures and videos have been thrown together in no particular order.
Videos have background noise :smirk: The hum is the motor being run to charge batteries, needed to keep the beer & wine chilled.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.