Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        2001 A Space Odyssey Monolith like object found in Utah

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: 2001 A Space Odyssey Monolith like object found in Utah

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-26-2020 11:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
there are two kinds of people. those who can extrapolate conclusions from incomplete data.

Clever, did you see that on a t-shirt at thinkgeek?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-26-2020 11:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
there are two kinds of people. those who can extrapolate conclusions from incomplete data.

So clever... :rolleyes:

And yet you can’t respond...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-26-2020 11:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Κracus wrote:

Clever, did you see that on a t-shirt at thinkgeek?

I heard it first from George Takei but I'm sure it's existed before he said it.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-26-2020 11:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nerd0s, your point about the quality of the alteration is taken - it's just that this is a pretty tasteful and aesthetically pleasing alteration

i'd agree with you if someone had spraypainted CALL 0800 555 4756 FOR GREAT HEAD on the rock, but that's not what happened here

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-26-2020 11:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Κracus wrote:

So clever... :rolleyes:

And yet you can’t respond...

You're literally asking me to explain common sense to you. I'm doing you a favor by not replying and treating you like an adult and assuming you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-26-2020 11:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
nerd0s, your point about the quality of the alteration is taken - it's just that this is a pretty tasteful and aesthetically pleasing alteration

i'd agree with you if someone had spraypainted CALL 0800 555 4756 FOR GREAT HEAD on the rock, but that's not what happened here

But I’m not arguing the quality of the “art”. Like I said, it’s not even that well done. Pretty simple really. But if a MS13 had sprayed the rock, or if Banksy had tagged it, it’s irrelevant. You are defacing a natural structure. A piece of public land. Why should anyone get to decide what is worthy of violating a public space?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-26-2020 12:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
You're literally asking me to explain common sense to you.

No you’re not, you fucking idiot... :olo:

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-26-2020 12:10 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Why should anyone get to decide what is worthy of violating a public space?

Good question, why should anyone get to decide that? Including the people that decided you can't.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-26-2020 12:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You really are on the tier as Gramps...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 11-26-2020 02:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:

LOL if someone did that out in the middle of nowhere, I would have to call that number....

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-26-2020 03:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Don Carlos wrote:
I'd argue that Banksy is the most most well known artist that regularly bypasses laws in the name of his/her art and therefore is entirely on point.

Art, at times, is meant to be rebellious. Artists use rebellion as a way to empower and inspire individuals to overcome adversity and create a positive impact in communities. Or it's done to inspire wonder, provoke thought and thus, discussion.

Exactly because Banksy is widely recognized and successful, I'd say he's being cherry picked. It's hard to argue that Banksy's art isn't meaningful, thought provoking or doesn't lead to discussion. His art is appreciated and seen by many as a net plus to whatever the artwork was placed on. I certainly wouldn't want to argue about the (non-monetary) value of Banksy's art nor would I argue that he needs permission to place his artwork. But since art is such a subjective thing, the local neighborhood hoodlum who spraypaints his initials on every surface he can find could use the same argumentation. If I were to draw huge penises on the walls of buildings to "provoke thought", people wouldn't be as appreciative of it. Would my argument of being thought provoking and the topic of discussion be enough to warrant the drawing of penises everywhere? I doubt it'd stick. The trouble here is that it's hard to define a hard line between what's acceptable and what isn't. Such is the nature of art I guess.

I interpreted Whiskey's statement about needing permission first to spring from the idea of the latter type of art rather than what Banksy does. For me, a blanket "but art is meant to be rebellious (just look at Banksy)" statement is too wide a definition of what's acceptable. It also puts you on a slippery slope where actually harmful things could be done in the name of art. What if I tortured an animal in the name of art? Would that be OK, because there's some sort of deeper meaning behind it? So yeah, I think Banksy is a very safe example to come up with.

Don Carlos wrote:
So far, this is exactly what has been done with this piece. If you fail to recognise it's intensions then more of this kind of thing is needed, to ensure that next time you do recognise what is going on.

Let me first say I don't have a problem with this particular piece but I don't appreciate it as art very much either. It's also not hard to recognize the intention behind it. I think it's too simple, actually. I'm sure something similar could've been done by a few drunk teenagers and people would call it vandalism, not art. There we're right back at the "art" label not being a get-out-of-jail-free card.

As I write this I find myself tempted by writing things like "if a piece of art is damaging, dangerous or otherwise unacceptable" but truth is, it's hard to make general sweeping statements like that. Dangerous is pretty self-explanatory, but what's damaging or otherwise unacceptbale? A butt-ugly spraypainted tag on a building wall is, IMO, unacceptable (despite this particular example being a homage to lost kin), but it might not be for someone else. A colorful artistic work right next to it is something I'm fine with. Would either "artist" need permission for their works? Hard to say. But IMO one of these two gets to call themselves an artist and the other is a vandal.

So tl;dr: I'm not arguing artists like Banksy should ask permission to do something, but the "but it's art" argument can't be applied to everything.

I love you, Jerry, and I want you to know that I am not being bellend when I reply to these. Intelligent debate is good and helps us broaden our horizons <3

Banksy, for the most part, is a political artist that tries to highlight the plights and highlights of the modern world and the impacts on it's citizens. Given Banksy is from Bristol in the UK, his work is more likely to resonate with the British people. What some people might see as nonsense isn't so for us over here. It's all about perspective. Spraying a cock on a wall in a South London borough isn't the same as spraying a child playing with a doll of someone in a medical uniform, discarding his batman or superman dolls who they might have seen as heroes previously (it might have been different super heroes in the actual picture). But having a load of cocks as a collection in Japan to celebrate Kanamara Matsuri is far more acceptable. Perspective and culture matter.

The torture of animals or people in the name of art is a difficult thing to swallow. But sometimes there is a cross over, as terrible as it might seem. Kevin Carter is a song by one of the greatest Welsh bands of all time, The Manic Street Preachers, and it's about a photographer who committed suicide because of his works. Now, where do you draw the line at art, reporting, highlighting issues with the world and where do you really look at subject matters being entirely repugnant? I am not going to post the pictures here, but Carters "works" drove him to suicide because he couldn't standing being an observer to the horrors of the world. Nature, in it's most visceral form is breathtakingly beautiful, brutal and cruel, all at the same time.

As for where I stand with the monolith art; it's in the middle of know where and has seemingly been there for quite a while. It's discovery has sparked conversation and wonder..."what if" moments for a lot of people. Based on 2001 A Space Odyssey, which many people regard as one of the finest pieces of forward thinking art the world has ever seen, by a director in Kubric that people see as a geniuses artist.

Blurred lines everywhere :)

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-26-2020 04:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think of it like this. Today, scientists and historians freak out when they find paintings in caves. They love this shit and want to deservedly preserve it when they find it. They're historical artifacts that are fantastic to find, it lets us take a peek into our prehistoric past. Who suddenly gets to decide we can't do that anymore? Imagine going on an expedition and finding this monolith like those guys in the helicopter did. It's fantastic, now imagine all the folks that'll make expeditions to go see it? It's already happening. This is a cool prize to see at the end of an adventure now. People will make their way to see this in an otherwise not visited part of the world.

Also, that's the difference between this and random spray painting on a rock wall, no one is coming to see that shit. Unless it's good... or 20000 years old.

Mew Legs!
Mew Legs!
PostPosted: 11-30-2020 06:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-30-2020 07:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can't read the article.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-30-2020 10:00 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sure you can. Just click the link and then click the stop button on your browser before the page fully loads. Works like a charm. Been doing it for years...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-30-2020 12:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lieutenant Dan wrote:

I was about to update my post with the theft news but see the discussion has turned chaotic :eek:

Don Carlos wrote:

As for where I stand with the monolith art; it's in the middle of know where and has seemingly been there for quite a while. It's discovery has sparked conversation and wonder..."what if" moments for a lot of people. Based on 2001 A Space Odyssey, which many people regard as one of the finest pieces of forward thinking art the world has ever seen, by a director in Kubric that people see as a geniuses artist.

Blurred lines everywhere :)

:up:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-30-2020 12:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

doesn't look anything like the 2001 monolith :|

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-30-2020 12:38 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-30-2020 12:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:

Interesting article and I quote

Quote:
Some observers also pointed out the object's resemblance to the avant-garde work of John McCracken (left) an American artist who lived for a time in nearby New Mexico, and died in 2011. He was known for his freestanding sculptures in the shape of pyramids, cubes, or sleek slabs (right)

[Left / right references photos with text]

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-01-2020 08:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 12-01-2020 07:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

IT'S A CONSPIRACY

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 12-01-2020 07:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i very much prefer henry moore

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 12-02-2020 05:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://atascaderonews.com/news/mystery ... -mountain/

Quote:
On Wednesday morning, a similar monument appeared at the top of Atascadero’s Pine Mountain, and sparked similar patronage. Dozens of local hikers made the trek to the top of Pine Mountain to view the object.

This is getting kind of interesting now. Perhaps part of a guerilla marketing campaign, or an ARG?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-02-2020 05:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Utah one had been there since at least 2016 according to satellite images. It’d be one hell of a long con ad campaign if so...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-03-2020 07:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Article about removal.

One of the people who removed it is well known in the climbing community. Clearly, the known existence of the monolith has caused some environmental issues with tourists flocking to the site. Something with that kind of draw to people who don’t understand how to co-exist in a fragile ecosystem probably shouldn’t be there. Leave no trace.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-03-2020 08:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But according to Krakus, it wasn’t hurting anything!

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-03-2020 10:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It really wasn't though, the whole fragile ecosystem line is complete bullshit. There's literally a road leading there less than a mile away! All this shows is that I was right, someone figured they could do it because the law was on their side so they did it. It wasn't about the ecosystem it was about imposing their will over others. It wasn't bothering anyone and it wasn't impacting some fragile ecosystem. Those are just excuses, really fucking lame excuses coming from fucking climbers of all people. You know, people that routinely drill holes in rocks to climb shit. Fucking hypocrites. This goes back to what I said previously, people that get upset this was put up to the point where they go there to take it down don't give two shits about it. If they didn't know it was there it would still be there today and the reason it would is because it's not fucking affecting anything being there. They just saw an opportunity to impose their will on others and decided since they wouldn't get any pushback that they'd go ahead and do it because they can. That's it, it's exactly the type of person who goes power crazy when given any kind of authority over others. The worst kind of people.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 12-03-2020 10:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

LOL what.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-03-2020 10:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

People that say "What" in text messages should have their internet privileges revoked.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 12-03-2020 10:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Damn, Kracus, you're getting a bit touchy lately. You OK bro?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 12-03-2020 10:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjpjk7/ ... ace-aliens

Quote:
In the video, a group of three men are seen pushing the statue over and chanting "America First" and "Christ is King." The men, one of whom was wearing a "Make Donald Drumpf Again" headband, called part of the monolith's construction "gay" then replaced it monolith with a wooden cross.

At least now we know what Gwamps has been up to.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-03-2020 11:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, Kracus is manic...

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-03-2020 02:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
It really wasn't though, the whole fragile ecosystem line is complete bullshit. There's literally a road leading there less than a mile away! All this shows is that I was right, someone figured they could do it because the law was on their side so they did it. It wasn't about the ecosystem it was about imposing their will over others. It wasn't bothering anyone and it wasn't impacting some fragile ecosystem. Those are just excuses, really fucking lame excuses coming from fucking climbers of all people. You know, people that routinely drill holes in rocks to climb shit. Fucking hypocrites. This goes back to what I said previously, people that get upset this was put up to the point where they go there to take it down don't give two shits about it. If they didn't know it was there it would still be there today and the reason it would is because it's not fucking affecting anything being there. They just saw an opportunity to impose their will on others and decided since they wouldn't get any pushback that they'd go ahead and do it because they can. That's it, it's exactly the type of person who goes power crazy when given any kind of authority over others. The worst kind of people.

Quote:
“People arrived by car, by bus, by van, helicopter, planes, trains, motorcycles and E-bikes and there isn’t even a parking lot. There aren’t bathrooms — and yes, pooping in the desert is a misdemeanor. There was a lot of that. There are no marked trails, no trash cans, and it’s not a user group area. There are no designated campsites. Each and every user on public land is supposed to be aware of the importance and relevance of this information and the laws associated with them,” he said.

Since the monolith’s discovery, the BLM — which owns the land where it was planted — pleaded with the public to avoid the area due to its remote location and hostile but fragile terrain.

But people began showing up in large crowds to see it.

The result, according to BLM spokeswoman Kimberly Finch, was resource degradation of vegetation flattened by vehicles, toilet paper tossed around and human feces on the ground. Several passenger vehicles had to be towed as well because of the high clearance required on the rugged roads.

You should read the article, or failing that... watch this video.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-03-2020 04:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lol the video is a nice touch. That said, there’s a fucking road right fucking there. You expect me to believe people can’t just drive away and go to the bathroom? Also, what about the animals that live there? They don’t shit!? That whole BLM speal sounds like horseshit. The reality is that yeah, the monolith was enjoying its 15 minutes of fame. In a month from now it would have been the odd tourist now and then.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.