Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Diego Maradona

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Diego Maradona

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-25-2020 01:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54810392

third greatest player ever after Pele and Messi and all round mad lad. RIP :tear:

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-25-2020 01:24 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You've forgotten George Best, who I would rate above Pele and Messi...

I'd actually argue that Maradona was better than all of them

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-25-2020 01:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

R.I.P. Diego Maradona. You did well :tear:

I'd agree there Don Carlos.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-25-2020 01:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Damn, heart attack at 60. Brutal...

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-25-2020 01:48 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Damn, heart attack at 60. Brutal...

He took A LOT of cocaine, to be fair....like loads

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 11-25-2020 02:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ruined himself with coke :/

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-25-2020 03:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
You've forgotten George Best, who I would rate above Pele and Messi...

I'd actually argue that Maradona was better than all of them

the numbers don't support you, kiddo

Code:
Player   Apps   Goals   Strike Rate
Pele      560   541   97%
Messi      525   458   87%
Maradona   491   259   53%
Best      586   207   35%

(senior club career only; didn't include national team cuz not fair on Best since NI have always been wank)

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-28-2020 01:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In pure goal terms, sure, he isn't up there. Messi has never won a world cup but Maradona did; does Messi scoring more goals mean he is better than Maradona despite Maradona winning the biggest prize in football?

Pele scored the bulk of his goals playing for Santos in Brazil; Messi has played all of his games in Spain, which is arguably a better league than anything Brazil has to offer.

Cristiano Ronaldo has scored a shit ton of goals in England, Spain and now Italy, as well as winning the European championships with Portugal. Does that make him better than Messi?

Also what about impact? Maradona had instant impact where ever he went. Pele played for the same club most of his career then went to play in the USA at a time when he should have just been scoring about 12 goals a game against the amateurs out there at the time.

Seems arguable to me ;)

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-28-2020 03:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

winning cups requires a team. Messi couldn't have been as successful as he was without Iniesta, Xavi, etc, but likewise Maradona didn't win in 1986 it by himself; he had a better side that anything Argentina have fielded in the last 20 years to back him up

since we're talking about individual players the comparison should be restricted to individual achievements (like goals, assists). as for CR - yeah he's hot shit and the only player of the last 10 years on Messi's level, but Messi still has a better goals/assists per game than him over his club career (though to be fair CR is 2 years older so that will affect his stats downwardly)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.