Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Aliens have contacted earth for real...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Aliens have contacted earth for real...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-09-2020 07:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
[xeno]Julios wrote:
This is an excellent entrance to the rabbit hole:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb7T1v_VHpE

could you timestamp any moments in this video that you feel are especially compelling please

probably the 1952 DC incident (12:54). The whole thing is worth a watch, though - lemmino is an excellent investigator (his one on db cooper was fantastic), and explores things with an impressive epistemic attitude.

He recently did a follow up ufo video, but the first one is a must watch.

Also, any interviews with David Fravor are great - the rogan one is good. The Lex Friedman one has more detail, but they discuss a lot more general things in addition.

Canadian Shaft
Canadian Shaft
PostPosted: 12-09-2020 08:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:

probably the 1952 DC incident (12:54). The whole thing is worth a watch, though - lemmino is an excellent investigator (his one on db cooper was fantastic), and explores things with an impressive epistemic attitude.

He recently did a follow up ufo video, but the first one is a must watch.

Also, any interviews with David Fravor are great - the rogan one is good. The Lex Friedman one has more detail, but they discuss a lot more general things in addition.

meh. as many scientists are wont to say, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. why am i supposed to presume aliens when people see white lights in the sky? i remember when i was a teenager, seeing these illuminated cylindrical shapes flying through the sky on the horizon. I was so completely sure for a while they were spaceships. Turned out to be birds, reflecting sunlight at twilight.

Like trans said, I'm sure there is life out there but sincerely doubt it can travel here due to sheer distances or the energy required to fold space...

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-09-2020 08:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tiny minds can't comprehend advanced technology^^^...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 12-09-2020 08:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HM-PuFFNSTuFF wrote:
[
meh. as many scientists are wont to say, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. why am i supposed to presume aliens when people see white lights in the sky? i remember when i was a teenager, seeing these illuminated cylindrical shapes flying through the sky on the horizon. I was so completely sure for a while they were spaceships. Turned out to be birds, reflecting sunlight at twilight.

Like trans said, I'm sure there is life out there but sincerely doubt it can travel here due to sheer distances or the energy required to fold space...

agree completely with the extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. And I personally am not committed to the idea that aliens have visited us. That said, there is evidence out there that at the very least demands worthy consideration. The lemmino video is worth your time.

Stanton Friedman (who recently died) was also a fairly sober investigator.

I'm currently watching the rogan podcast with Jacques Vallée, interesting stuff.

I'm not a UFO nut, but I've dipped my toes in a bit, and there may be something interesting at play here.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-09-2020 11:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Occam's Razor, people.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-10-2020 01:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
seremtan wrote:
also, how are these aliens communicating with humans?

Apparently it’s telepathy...

still need a language for that

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-10-2020 05:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:

Uh really? Is that how telepathy works? Lol moron...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-10-2020 10:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
Tiny minds can't comprehend advanced technology^^^...

As dumb as Geoff is, he’s got a point.

Try to imagine a civilization that is a million years more advanced than ours. A million years. That’s not that long of a time in the grand scheme. The universe is so old and so big, there could easily be billions of civilizations that are millions of years older than ours. Imagine how advanced their technology is. They could have figured out how to traverse space and time, traveling fast distances. Which by the way, scientists have’t ruled out interstellar travel as impossible, because there is no law of physics that actually forbids it...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-10-2020 11:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
xer0s wrote:

Again, a species far more advanced than ours could have the capability to communicate telepathically with whatever language they choose...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-10-2020 01:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OCCAM'S RAZOR, XER0S

Welfare Recipient
Welfare Recipient
PostPosted: 12-10-2020 01:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Or no language at all... Some dumb ones up in here...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-10-2020 01:25 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
OCCAM'S RAZOR, XER0S

Calm down Randy.

The simplest explanation is usually the right one. Usually. Not always...

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-10-2020 03:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? wrote:
seremtan wrote:

telepathy

which isn't real :alert:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-10-2020 03:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Again, a species far more advanced than ours could have the capability to communicate telepathically with whatever language they choose...

it's impossible to understand an unknown language without a Rosetta Stone* equivalent

* by which mean the actual historical Rosetta Stone not the thing weaboos use to learn basic Japanese so they can converse with their crusty pillow waifus

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-10-2020 04:26 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
scared? wrote:

telepathy

A species a million years older than ours wouldn’t have the ability to communicate without speaking (through the means of technology)?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-10-2020 04:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
xer0s wrote:

it's impossible to understand an unknown language without a Rosetta Stone* equivalent

* by which mean the actual historical Rosetta Stone not the thing weaboos use to learn basic Japanese so they can converse with their crusty pillow waifus

Again, you underestimate the ability of a vastly advanced species...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 12-10-2020 09:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Try to imagine a civilization that is a million years more advanced than ours. A million years. That’s not that long of a time in the grand scheme. The universe is so old and so big, there could easily be billions of civilizations that are millions of years older than ours. Imagine how advanced their technology is. They could have figured out how to traverse space and time, traveling fast distances. Which by the way, scientists have’t ruled out interstellar travel as impossible, because there is no law of physics that actually forbids it...

They harness the power of stars just to show up here and there in flying saucers and shit, fucking with people but never providing incontrovertible proof of their existence?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-10-2020 10:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s sounds like a reli-nut, but instead of explaining everything away with "God works in mysterious ways" he goes "advanced civilization! Advanced civilization! Advanced civilization!"

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-10-2020 10:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-10-2020 10:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well done!

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 12-10-2020 10:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
A species a million years older than ours ..................

xer0s wrote:
Again, you underestimate the ability of a vastly advanced species...

I thought I had a pretty good imagination but I am having a real problem trying to grasp here :smirk:

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-11-2020 01:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any advanced civilisation that could actually travel the unimaginable distance to earth would only be here for one thing and that’s resource. They wouldn’t even say hello, we would be insignificant to them.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-11-2020 01:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
seremtan wrote:
also, how are these aliens communicating with humans?

Which isn’t actually a thing. Unless you know different?

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-11-2020 01:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:

Beat me to it. I should really read these first.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-11-2020 03:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-11-2020 08:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
Any advanced civilisation that could actually travel the unimaginable distance to earth would only be here for one thing and that’s resource. They wouldn’t even say hello, we would be insignificant to them.

Their motivation to be here could be a number of things.

If it’s easy for them to get here, then resources wouldn’t have to be the primary reason. We would have no idea for their presence.

Just to be clear, if you read what I’ve said, I’ve never claimed there were aliens visiting us. I’m simply open to the idea. And the reason for that is exponential technological advancement. A civilization much older than ours may have the ability to do things we can’t even imagine. So it can’t be ruled out.

As Arthur C. Clarke wrote: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-11-2020 08:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
xer0s wrote:

In a million years, you don’t think we will have the ability to communicate without speaking? Obviously I’m talking about technological advancements. The human body will never evolve to do this. But we are becoming more and more infused with technology every day. There won’t some day be a chip implanted in a our brain? I think it’s obvious there will be...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-11-2020 08:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I mean, if a civilization reaches a point where they can travel between galaxy's, or even within the galaxy it's safe to assume they've probably also mastered the ability to acquire resources without killing off entire fledgling civilizations. Beyond the fact that asteroids and moons, deserted planets likely have more than enough resources it's also entirely possible these aren't even necessary as they can probably just manipulate matter into what they need and probably use suns to provide themselves with power. I bet encountering new life is probably something they would actually want to happen so they can study it and learn about their own past.

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 12-11-2020 08:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
I mean, if a civilization reaches a point where they can travel between galaxy's, or even within the galaxy it's safe to assume they've probably also mastered the ability to acquire resources without killing off entire fledgling civilizations. Beyond the fact that asteroids and moons, deserted planets likely have more than enough resources it's also entirely possible these aren't even necessary as they can probably just manipulate matter into what they need and probably use suns to provide themselves with power. I bet encountering new life is probably something they would actually want to happen so they can study it and learn about their own past.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-11-2020 09:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Doombrain wrote:

In a million years, you don’t think we will have the ability to communicate without speaking? Obviously I’m talking about technological advancements. The human body will never evolve to do this. But we are becoming more and more infused with technology every day. There won’t some day be a chip implanted in a our brain? I think it’s obvious there will be...

In a million years we’ll be gone at the rate we’re consuming.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 12-11-2020 09:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
Doombrain wrote:

If it’s easy for them to get here, then resources wouldn’t have to be the primary reason. We would have no idea for their presence.

Just to be clear, if you read what I’ve said, I’ve never claimed there were aliens visiting us. I’m simply open to the idea. And the reason for that is exponential technological advancement. A civilization much older than ours may have the ability to do things we can’t even imagine. So it can’t be ruled out.

As Arthur C. Clarke wrote: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic...

I don’t buy it and to date the proof backs me up. However we’ve been a blip in time and I absolutely believe there’s other civilisations in our galaxy.

What I don’t believe is they would want to visit (if they could, which they can’t) given the way we fight and pollute. There’s also a solid theory no civilisation makes it to a star-fairing level thanks to random acts like supernova etc.

I think believing in aliens visiting us draws huge parallels with religion and our in ability to accept we come from nothing and return to nothing.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-11-2020 09:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
xer0s wrote:

In a million years we’ll be gone at the rate we’re consuming.

Ok, but you’re kinda skirting the point. Assuming we are still alive and well and we haven’t killed ourselves, it’s probable that what I’m saying is possible...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-11-2020 09:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doombrain wrote:
xer0s wrote:

I don’t buy it and to date the proof backs me up. However we’ve been a blip in time and I absolutely believe there’s other civilisations in our galaxy.

What I don’t believe is they would want to visit (if they could, which they can’t) given the way we fight and pollute. There’s also a solid theory no civilisation makes it to a star-fairing level thanks to random acts like supernova etc.

I think believing in aliens visiting us draws huge parallels with religion and our in ability to accept we come from nothing and return to nothing.

You say they can’t visit us. What is the proof of this statement?

I’d say most civilizations fight and pollute when they are young. Evolution shapes us that way. What makes any other otherworldly civilization different? An advanced civilization would have gotten over that hump.

I completely disagree with your last statement. How does being open to the idea of aliens visiting us equal religion? If anything, it only enhances my belief that we come from nothing and return to nothing...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 12-11-2020 10:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eh... although I believe aliens exist, whether intelligent or not it's not really his job to prove they haven't or can't visit us. This is like asking someone to prove god doesn't exist, it's just a ridiculous stance to take.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 12-11-2020 10:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What I mean is, what law of physics forbids them from visiting? What proof is there that says they can’t visit?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.